• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    :Although i was reliably informed by a colleague that in his part of Lancs the M had been replaced by an N !
    - would that be the Cumbrian contingent? A much more polite class of graffitist!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• scottycelt

When I used to travel on business, It always made me smile when just after crossing the Anglo-Scottish border heading south by rail, and immediately entering Carlisle station, there was this large sign on a nearby building with the words, ENGLISH DAMSIDE. This hardly requires the inclusion of an additional letter by any mischievous and rebellious Scots ...

To the best of my knowledge, this rather ambiguous-sounding sign still exists.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

there are some genuinely pointless road signs.
        Like the "low flying plane" signs. What exactly are you supposed to do about it?
        Ducks would know

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          - would that be the Cumbrian contingent? A much more polite class of graffitist!
          Lancaster...pretty posh round there I think !
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

there are some genuinely pointless road signs.
            Like the "low flying plane" signs. What exactly are you supposed to do about it?
            I'm always a little taken aback by "heavy plant crossing". I somehow expect a tree (of a triffid?) to walk across the road.

Then there's the "beware elderly pickpockets" sign:

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post

This sign is out of date.
              It should be replaced by one of a mobility scooter being driven at reckless speed as innocent pedestrians scatter, perhaps with a dog on a lead being dragged alongside.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                This sign is out of date.
                It should be replaced by one of a mobility scooter being driven at reckless speed as innocent pedestrians scatter, perhaps with a dog on a lead being dragged alongside.
                Surely not. I'd never use the words 'mobility scooter' and 'driven' in the same breath. An oxymoron. Or just moronic.

Comment

• amateur51

During the Thatcher years a wall in an underpass at the base of a soulless tower block at Archway tube station in North London bore the frantic message:

"Have you SEEN the price of BACON??!!"

You knew what was meant

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

... i have been attacked several times by low flying planes ...
                    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                      ... i have been attacked several times by low flying planes ...
                      Well its your own fault, you should pay attention to the ***** signs then. They don't put them there for fun.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            brilliant.
                            In my work travels I do keep an eye out for daft signs, and minor awards events...i often wonder exactly how good a night out the awards presentation for "Turkey Retailer of the Year is".

However, sign of last year for me was in the newly refurbished public conveniences just to the east of Dorchester. The large urinal (about ten feet long) is served with a water supply that runs along to the middle and then down to the trough bit.
                            the builder/plumber had put a large sign right in the middle next to the water supply " DO NOT DRINK".
                            As my colleague observed, " That's probably what done for Hardy ".

I wanted to take a picture, but I thought I risked arrest. Tragically, the sign was removed.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Well its your own fault, you should pay attention to the ***** signs then. They don't put them there for fun.
                              ... i shall not drive in Iraq again ...
                              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                                ... i shall not drive in Iraq again ...
                                Ah...well, its a good warning. Ta !!
                                I don't think i will.
                                London is bad enough...with or without low flying planes !

Edit, they must have been rubbish, if they had several goes and you lived to tell the tale !!
                                I mean scary...but not too good at their job?

Comment

Working...
                                X