Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
    I was referring to members of the Board, not the population in general or your friends.

Any more convenient than the traditional arial? & as it will, I assume, only receive BSB programmes actually less convenient.
    The satellite dish receives all television and radio stations through a little box. Whatever feelings one might have about Sky, it is a very convenient technology.

Comment

• anotherbob
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
      The satellite dish receives all television and radio stations through a little box. Whatever feelings one might have about Sky, it is a very convenient technology.
      Not unlike my Freeview Topfield PVR, which also receives all Free-to-Air TV and Radio stations.
      If you live in an area not covered by Freeview there are satellite kits from B&Q, ALDI and other places offering a dish, cabling and receiver for a lot les than £100. The only reason to use SKY equipment is if you want the pay channels, and I can't see why anyone would pay for the privilege of watching channels which carry advertising.

Comment

• Mr Pee
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by anotherbob View Post
        and I can't see why anyone would pay for the privilege of watching channels which carry advertising.
        Because of the quality of the programmes. Simple.

And if adverts are really such an anathema, one can simply Sky+ and fast forward through them. Or alternatively, use the live pause function for about 5 minutes when the programme starts and then skip the ads as they appear.

Besides, the BBC carry plenty of adverts these days, don't they? Oh no, sorry, they're "Promos" for forthcoming progarmmes, often thinly disguised as news stories......
        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          In all honesty, I don't have time to watch much terrestrial television, let alone subscribe to BSkyB. I have plenty of books, CDs plus the radio to occupy me

Smug of NW2
          Absolutely - & keeping track of threads here takes up a fair bit of time

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
            Because of the quality of the programmes. Simple.

And if adverts are really such an anathema, one can simply Sky+ and fast forward through them. Or alternatively, use the live pause function for about 5 minutes when the programme starts and then skip the ads as they appear.

Besides, the BBC carry plenty of adverts these days, don't they? Oh no, sorry, they're "Promos" for forthcoming progarmmes, often thinly disguised as news stories......
            Television with adverts has been part of life for over half a century. If I restricted myself to channels with no adverts I would watch virtually no television; and, as others have said, Sky+ makes it possible to avoid all advertising. Perhaps this irritates the advertising industry, but I find it a real advantage.
            Incidentally, Sky Arts 2 is a halfway house: there is some advertising, but very little. The recent transmission of Nixon in China, for example, had one break in three hours. (Can't get more authentic opera house experience than that.)

Comment

• Panjandrum

Any more convenient than the traditional arial (sic)?
              What would Shakespeare's "airy sprite" have to do with the quality of reception? Or do you mean aerial?

Comment

• anotherbob
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                one can simply Sky+ and fast forward through them. Or alternatively, use the live pause function for about 5 minutes when the programme starts and then skip the ads as they appear.....
                It's interesting how these features (fast forward, live pause, series search etc) seem to have come to be regarded as exclusive to SKY+ machines. The simplest PVR will do all of them.
                I have noticed that in "celeb" interviews in the RT the interviewee will often use the term "SKY+" as a verb instead of the more usual "record". I don't suppose they get a bung for every time they do it do they?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

I don't suppose they get a bung for every time they do it do they?
                  ask P ?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                    Television with adverts has been part of life for over half a century. If I restricted myself to channels with no adverts I would watch virtually no television;
                    Sounds perfick!

Comment

• amateur51

Absolutely - & keeping track of threads here takes up a fair bit of time

And there's International Record Review to catch up with too

Comment

• VodkaDilc

I have noticed that in "celeb" interviews in the RT the interviewee will often use the term "SKY+" as a verb instead of the more usual "record". I don't suppose they get a bung for every time they do it do they?
                        I think we must accept that "to Sky+" is the 21st century equivalent of "to Hoover", whatever the brand used. The use of the term is by no means limited to The Radio Times, which I have not seen for years. Richard Bacon and his guests on R5 use it all the time. (R5 is becoming my station of choice in the car since the disappearance of the Traditional R3.)

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=Panjandrum;158597]What would Shakespeare's "airy sprite" have to do with the quality of reception?

Ariel could probably affect reception quite a lot.

Or do you mean aerial?
                          Well, I knew there was an 'e' in it somewhere, but couldn't remember where.

Comment

Working...
                          X