Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
    There really is no worthwhile response to such a load of generalized, patronising nonsense.
    But you thought you'd Have-A-Go anyway

Give 'im the money Mabel!

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      Oh, come now, Mr Pee; Sky broadcasting's not all quite as bad as that, is it?
      I didn't expect this trolling from you ahinton; some others, yes, but you disappoint me.

SkyArts 2, for those who are ill informed about the subject, is the channel for serious quality arts broadcasting. SkyArts1 does the populist stuff, with some contemporary visual arts programmes that are sometimes of interest (eg Tim Marlow on various exhibitions; Auction etc) but mainly focuses on pop culture. This is probably the channel that Mr & Mrs Mandryka senior watch in their lower middle class, suburban, west sussex bungalow by the sea.

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
        I didn't expect this trolling from you ahinton; some others, yes, but you disappoint me.
        Well, whilst it's sometime pleasant to exceed someone's expectations, it's almost always sad to disappoint anyone (although I don't doubt that, the best will in the world notwithstanding, I manage to do the latter far more often than I'd care to), but this is hardly "trolling" by any stretch of the imagination; it was posted in good humour as well as good faith and, as such, quite clearly fails to qualify as "trolling" and I would be surprised indeed had Mr Pee taken it to be such.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
          There really is no worthwhile response to such a load of generalized, patronising nonsense.
          I thought I was rather succinct...
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            I thought I was rather succinct...
            Not by the Pee's standards - he usually just posts the link to the emoticon.

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
              Sky Atlantic,
              Goodness - a whole TV channel devoted to an ocean!

and a huge raft
              Which could be very neccessary

Also this Sky/Murdoch thing is all getting a bit obsessive. News Corp own I think, 39% of the shares in BSkyB.
              But that is still a fairly substantial amount of money from subscriptions that will go into a corrupt business.

They may have to sell them.
              When they do my view of BSB might change - although even if the Murdochs sell up I assume the programmes will still be on frequent repeat. Has anyone calculated how many hours of programmes are shown, excluding repeats? When I've looked at the schedules there seems to be about two programmes on a day, repeated frequently.

& it's not juist the ownership issue whch puts me off - it's the aggressive way in which they lobby politicians, attack the BBC, & buy up rights to sporting events.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                But that is still a fairly substantial amount of money from subscriptions that will go into a corrupt business.
                I take it then that you have never bought anything made in China, India etc? Presumably, all your comestibles come with a "FairTrade" logo emblazoned on the packaging? I assume you never buy cotton shirts etc because, after all, we all know what sweatshop conditions they're made under, don't we?

When they do my view of BSB might change -
                I'm sure all the shareholders can't wait for that to happen, then the share price is sure to soar!

[
                When I've looked at the schedules there seems to be about two programmes on a day, repeated frequently.
                Book a visit to Dolland & Aitchison dearie.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                  Book a visit to Dolland & Aitchison dearie.
                  No, I go to SpecSavers, sweetie.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

so, have I got this right? Panj is arguing that it is ok for a business to have corrupt or exploitive practices, because other businesses do, and that we should only protest about all bad business practice, or none at all?
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

incidentally, if you fancy checking out Bolton v spurs tonight, and you are a bit short of the £45 a month for sky there is an excellent stream on first row sports.
                      Just wait 30 seconds for the ads to go and bingo !

spuds just went a goal up..........

4 -1 to spurs now !!
                      Last edited by teamsaint; 02-05-12, 21:30. Reason: goal
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                        • Nov 2010

Surprises galore at Wednesday's South Bank Sky Arts Awards, hosted by Melvyn Bragg  at London's Dorchester hotel. Kate Bush won the Pop Music category for her album 50 Words for Snow, trouncing Adele and PJ Harvey. The RSC's Matilda pinched the Theatre gong, so it was hard cheese for the much-fancied One Man Two Guvnors. And Grayson Perry was adjudged winner of the Visual Art objet (a shiny thing designed by Anish Kapoor, and presented here by Tracy Emin) ahead of Davids Chipperfield and Hockney.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

Mr P, is your fondness for posting messages consisting of nothing more than a symbol indicative of your literacy? Your posting above does include a link, but I've no idea what and might mean in relation to it.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

I glanced at the schedule for SA2 for a random day when I might be able to watch (were I a Sky subscriber) and it seemed to be full of things I would have no interest in, a prog about André Rieu repeated twice, some standard ballet fare, a musical tie-in called 'Stomp-live'... The only thing of any interest was the nth broadcast of 'Capriccio' - and I'd get hold of the DVDs (rent or buy) if I wanted to see it.

Are there adverts? I assume so. Are they ever during programmes? In between acts of an opera? In the middle of documentaries?
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• John Skelton

Your posting above does include a link, but I've no idea what and might mean in relation to it.
                              That some uninteresting people have been given some uninteresting awards by some other uninteresting people?

Comment

• Mr Pee
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by John Skelton View Post
                                That some uninteresting people have been given some uninteresting awards by some other uninteresting people?
                                Oh well. If you find the likes of llyr Williams, Tilda Swinton, Claire Tomalin, Terry Gilliam, Alison Balsom, Mark Gatiss and Michael Frayn uninteresting, then it's clear that you have no interest in the Arts whatsoever.

What are you doing here?
                                Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                                X