• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Pee
    • Nov 2010

The South Bank Sky Arts Awards

I'll definitely be tuning in for this at 9pm this evening:-

Enjoy the latest Sky TV Shows, from Sky One, Sky Atlantic, Sky Witness, Sky Crime, Sky Cinema, Sky Arts, Sky Kids, Sky Sports and more today.

I'm not familiar with Llyr Williams, who has won the Classical award for his traversal of the Beethoven Piano sonatas. Has anybody heard him play?

And unfortunately my allergic reaction to Berlioz means that I didn't see the ENO Damnation of Faust that has won in the opera category, but Terry Gilliam's direction undoubtedly made for a fascinating spectacle, even if the music was as dull as ditchwater.

Thank goodness that Sky Arts picked up the South Bank Show when it was so unceremoneously dumped by ITV.
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

can you give us a link to a free internet stream please , peester?

Cheers.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      can you give us a link to a free internet stream please , peester?

Cheers.
      No, you have to subscribe. Why do you think everything should be free?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
        I'll definitely be tuning in for this at 9pm this evening:-

Enjoy the latest Sky TV Shows, from Sky One, Sky Atlantic, Sky Witness, Sky Crime, Sky Cinema, Sky Arts, Sky Kids, Sky Sports and more today.

I'm not familiar with Llyr Williams, who has won the Classical award for his traversal of the Beethoven Piano sonatas. Has anybody heard him play?

And unfortunately my allergic reaction to Berlioz means that I didn't see the ENO Damnation of Faust that has won in the opera category, but Terry Gilliam's direction undoubtedly made for a fascinating spectacle, even if the music was as dull as ditchwater.

Thank goodness that Sky Arts picked up the South Bank Show when it was so unceremoneously dumped by ITV.
        My word, what a feast, a pianist you've never heard of and an opera peroduction that you didn't see - Sky Arts really broadens your horizons Mr Pee

How many years did it take ITV to 'unceremoneously' [sic] dump the South Bank Show

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
          No, you have to subscribe. Why do you think everything should be free?
          you seem to be making quite a few assumptions in your question..........

I don't think everything should be free.

Just wanted a stream.

Everybody does it !!

That how I watch footy . Its great . Any televised game you like
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Just wanted a stream.
            I'm sure mr pee will oblige

as he would say ()

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

as he would say ()

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

ITV is not free. Viewers pay for it by being subjected to those nausiating adverts.

Originally posted by amateur51
                How many years did it take ITV to 'unceremoneously' [sic] dump the South Bank Show
                Quite so. The company provided an excellent programme for a very long time.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Here you are, teamsaint. A free evening of Bernard Haitink and Beethoven:

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

as he would say ()
                    Though perhaps silence can sometimes be golden too...

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                      This used to be one of my fave pieces to play

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

a classic from the 1960's

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                        I can't let this reference pass without mention of the strange, almost Jungian occurrence during a performance of Cornelius Cardew's Treatise by AMM during the 1982 "Cage at 70" series of concerts in Islington. Cage was in attendance and as usual Keith Rowe, and on this occasion also John Tilbury, made sporadic use of transistor radios during the performance. For one very brief moment the lyric "Silence is Golden, Golden" (just those words,no more) emerged from one radio which was only turned on for those very few seconds. Later, the single word "John" was released from the airwaves. Both emissions were entirely unplanned.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                          Here you are, teamsaint. A free evening of Bernard Haitink and Beethoven:
                          http://liveweb.arte.tv/fr/video/Bern..._de_Beethoven/
                          Many thanks for that link. Downloadable (with the appropriate software) too.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            My word, what a feast, a pianist you've never heard of and an opera peroduction that you didn't see - Sky Arts really broadens your horizons Mr Pee

Well, thank you for stating the bleedin' obvious, AM51, because obviously if I HAD heard of said pianist, or seen said Opera
                            peroduction
                            [sic] then the awards would not be broadening my horizons. Now would they? But then that is one of the great things about Sky Arts- one can simply stumble across many hidden gems.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand- Llyr Williams' excellent acceptance speech was hopefully heard in the corridors of the BBC; he said that classical music is living in perilous times, in which any piece longer than 4 minutes is considered too demanding for the average listener, and that presentation, personality, and style are too often valued above real musical content. I wonder if the Young Musician/ Maestro/ Maestro at the Opera production teams were watching?

And good to see a young opera singer, Sophie Bevan, winning The Times breakthrough Award. Clearly a talent to watch.

All in all, a great evening.
                            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                              Well, thank you for stating the bleedin' obvious, AM51, because obviously if I HAD heard of said pianist, or seen said Opera [sic] then the awards would not be broadening my horizons. Now would they? But then that is one of the great things about Sky Arts- one can simply stumble across many hidden gems.

Anyway, back to the matter at hand- Llyr Williams' excellent acceptance speech was hopefully heard in the corridors of the BBC; he said that classical music is living in perilous times, in which any piece longer than 4 minutes is considered too demanding for the average listener, and that presentation, personality, and style are too often valued above real musical content. I wonder if the Young Musician/ Maestro/ Maestro at the Opera production teams were watching?

And good to see a young opera singer, Sophie Bevan, winning The Times breakthrough Award. Clearly a talent to watch.

All in all, a great evening.
                              You recall that Llŷr Williams was a BBC New Generation Artist 2003-2005, Mr Pee? - nice to see this early investment & encouragement coming to fruition

Comment

Working...
                              X