X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Techie board vs Platform 3

I'm not sure that the arrangement which has moved some threads of a technical nature to a separate area is really working well. Surely for some people it's more relevant to their enjoyment of music than Platform 3, yet it is harder to find. I've just posted a new thread on the use of iPads for high resolution downloads, but the current layout of the boards will mean that probably no one will find it unless I use one of the beeb's modern day favourites, and "trail" it here on Platfom 3.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

This , on the other hand
    belongs in here
    so anyone wanting a Supercollider Theremin

//////// the theremin ////////

// playing only one instance:
    (
    play(
    {
    var f;
    f = MouseY.kr(4000, 200, 'exponential', 0.8);
    SinOsc.ar(
    freq: f+ (f*SinOsc.ar(7,0,0.02)),
    mul: MouseX.kr(0, 0.9)
    )
    }
    )
    )

// building a synthdef and spawning separate synths

(
    SynthDef(\theremin, { arg mod = 7, detune = 0;
    var f, a, z;
    f = MouseY.kr(4000, 200, 'exponential', 0.8) + detune;
    a = SinOsc.ar(f + (f * SinOsc.ar(mod,0,0.02)), mul: MouseX.kr(0, 0.9));
    z = Mix.ar(a);
    Out.ar(0, z) + Out.ar(1, z)
    }).add
    )

a = Synth(\theremin);
    a.set(\mod, 12);

b = Synth(\theremin);
    b.set(\mod, 5, \detune, 200);

a.free;
    b.free;

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      I'm not sure that the arrangement which has moved some threads of a technical nature to a separate area is really working well. Surely for some people it's more relevant to their enjoyment of music than Platform 3, yet it is harder to find. I've just posted a new thread on the use of iPads for high resolution downloads, but the current layout of the boards will mean that probably no one will find it unless I use one of the beeb's modern day favourites, and "trail" it here on Platfom 3.
      As someone who always starts by clicking on "What's New" and then checking out any threads which are likely to be of interest to me, I found your post without difficulty. I'm not sure that I understand it all, but my wife has an iPad and I might just experiment with it.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

One of the ideas was that it was a more convenient way of keeping techie threads which people might want to check back on later in a more manageable form. These get lost on Platform 3.

I do as Curalach does and check on What's New? which should show up the thread titles which have been added to since you last looked. I'd be interested to know if many people mainly click on particular forums which just have the restricted list.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Curalach View Post
          As someone who always starts by clicking on "What's New" and then checking out any threads which are likely to be of interest to me[...]
          I do this too, and perhaps naively, assume most people would. I proposed the Techie Board so it would be easier to retrieve informative posts once the thread has ceased to attract new posts.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
            I do this too, and perhaps naively, assume most people would. I proposed the Techie Board so it would be easier to retrieve informative posts once the thread has ceased to attract new posts.
            Me too

Comment

• Mr Pee
              • Nov 2010

As someone who always starts by clicking on "What's New" and then checking out any threads which are likely to be of interest to me
              Me too.
              Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Don Petter

As someone who always starts by clicking on "What's New" and then checking out any threads which are likely to be of interest to me ...
                Same here.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Yep, me, too! (I only use the general Forum area if I want to start a thread or to find an old topic.)
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• salymap
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

I check on 'What's New' but only get the top half of the words.

Err, perhaps this is one for the techie thread

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      One of the ideas was that it was a more convenient way of keeping techie threads which people might want to check back on later in a more manageable form. These get lost on Platform 3.

I do as Curalach does and check on What's New? which should show up the thread titles which have been added to since you last looked. I'd be interested to know if many people mainly click on particular forums which just have the restricted list.
                      A useful idea - checking on What's New. Unfortunately doesn't work if one uses different machines/different browsers on a very regular basis, as I do.

Back at base I can perhaps train myself to do this, but I don't think it'll work on many of the machines I use.

I understand the motivation for the change. That's also had me thinking about the overall structure of this site. Why is Platform 3 under the Classical area, for example?
                      Is this a form of separation from those who are interested in Arts, Jazz, World Music etc. If we can talk about anything, why is it under Classical?

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Is this a form of separation from those who are interested in Arts, Jazz, World Music etc. If we can talk about anything, why is it under Classical?
                        Because it doesn't fit anywhere else. I did think of putting it right at the bottom so that people had to scroll down through everthing else to get there.

Though, like most people who've commented, I usually access threads from What's New? And I'm not completely devastated at the thought that I might miss a fascinating thread. It happens
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

A useful idea - checking on What's New. Unfortunately doesn't work if one uses different machines/different browsers on a very regular basis, as I do.
                          Errr why not ?
                          I didn't think the "What's new" button meant "What's new to me that I haven't read before"
                          but rather "what's the most recent"
                          So how does using another machine make any difference ?
                          and if you really have so many computers then surely you could get one of the servants to check for you

If I open the forum on another browser the "What's new" results are identical
                          but
                          the "New Posts" (Safari) become "Todays Posts" (Firefox)
                          Last edited by MrGongGong; 01-05-12, 08:22. Reason: carp grammer

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                            Errr why not ?
                            Hmmmm, well what you should find is that the thread titles are in bold if you haven'y already read the last post in the thread, and in light if you have read it. But this does assume that you are using the same browser on the same machine.

the "New Posts" (Safari) become "Todays Posts" (Firefox)
                            That should be the difference between being logged in or not logged in, rather than which browser you're using.

A thought: the bold-light thing may be cookie based (can't remember), so your cookie setting may affect what you see.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              Hmmmm, well what you should find is that the thread titles are in bold if you haven'y already read the last post in the thread, and in light if you have read it. But this does assume that you are using the same browser on the same machine.
                              If you close the forum window, and then reopen it later, in the same session on the same machine, everything goes to bold again, losing which threads you've looked at.

But I don't see this as a big problem. (You can usually work out roughly 'where you are' by the timing of the last posts.)

Comment

Working...
                              X