Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Interesting article by Gary Younge in today's Grauniad - I wasn't aware but Cameron's only "real" job was sourced for him by his wife's mother Lady Astor who knew Michael Green and our boy obtained a starting salary of £90,000!!!

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
      Interesting article by Gary Younge in today's Grauniad - I wasn't aware but Cameron's only "real" job was sourced for him by his wife's mother Lady Astor who knew Michael Green and our boy obtained a starting salary of £90,000!!!
      "Comments on this article are closed for legal reasons" (I mean the Guardian article, not this thread )

But caution, please.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Cautiously - do we know what the legal reasons are, has Lady Astor got litigious?

Comment

• handsomefortune

well she looked very, very well last time i saw her, head hunted for her arm pits, for a deoderant advert, no less. iirc her and samantha are in the ladies retail export trade.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

someone might claim that some of "them" had at some point done an honest days work, perhaps?
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by antongould View Post
              Cautiously - do we know what the legal reasons are, has Lady Astor got litigious?
              No. Strange. The article seems to pass the legality test, but comments might not. So, what's new?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

when Mr Younge says in that article that "Today almost 40% of MPs went to private school", did he actually mean 40% of coalition MPs?

Comment

• John Skelton

"Figures published today show a three percentage point rise in the number of ex private school pupils amongst this year’s intake of MPs to 35 per cent." (10 / 5 / 2010)

"The study shows that 54 per cent of Conservatives MPs attended fee paying schools compared with 40 per cent of Liberal Democrats. Only 15 per cent of Labour MPs did so. This compares to just seven per cent of people in the country at large.

A major factor behind the increase in ex-private school pupils is the election of more Conservative MPs."

The class of 2010 is a far more elitist Parliament than its predecessor with an increase in the number of MPs going to independent schools, Eton and Oxford or Cambridge.

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by John Skelton View Post
                    "Figures published today show a three percentage point rise in the number of ex private school pupils amongst this year’s intake of MPs to 35 per cent." (10 / 5 / 2010)

"The study shows that 54 per cent of Conservatives MPs attended fee paying schools compared with 40 per cent of Liberal Democrats. Only 15 per cent of Labour MPs did so. This compares to just seven per cent of people in the country at large.

A major factor behind the increase in ex-private school pupils is the election of more Conservative MPs."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...s-1970414.html
                    To what extent does the kind of school attended by MPs of any party actually matter to the electorate at large? To those who nevertheless appear to display a genuine interest in such matters, it might be worth trying to discover how many MPs who attended private schools have subsequently sent their children (if any) to state schools and vice versa in order perhaps to glean a more balanced view of this kind of thing, for what it may or may not be worth. That said, it may also be worthy of note that the fact that none of those MPs who did attend private schools did so as a matter of personal choice implies that greater care ought to be taken by accusers when deciding at whom to point the finger.
                    Last edited by ahinton; 08-05-12, 07:37.

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                      To what extent does the kind of school attended by MPs of any party actually matter to the electorate at large? To those who nevertheless appear to display a genuine interest in such matters, it might be worth trying to discover how many MPs who attended private schools have subsequently sent their children (if any) to state schools and vice versa in order perhaps to glean a more balanced view of this kind of thing, for what it may or may not be worth. That said, it may also be worthy of note that the fact that none of those MPs who did attend private schools did so as a matter of personal choice implies that greater care ought to be taken by accusers when deciding at whom to point the finger.
                      It doesn't matter at the individual level. A good MP is a good MP and likewise the bad 'uns.
                      It matters because it indicates the way the world goes, and where power, influence and money are being consolidated.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        It doesn't matter at the individual level. A good MP is a good MP and likewise the bad 'uns.
                        It matters because it indicates the way the world goes, and where power, influence and money are being consolidated.
                        Having faith in the thing you are responsible does matter. If one is responsible for the busses then it makes a big statement that you are actually seen on one.
                        (there is the obvious thing about Cameron using his children then acting against which seems to annoy some people so I won't go into details again ..........)

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          In which case we are addressing something quite different, namely the very existence of private schools and perhaps the principle perceived by some to be enshrined in the notion that if you pay for it yourself (or by means of insurance) you can seize more power, influence and money and one might deduce from such a stance that the same or similar goes for private medical insurance; I have to admit that much of the presumed logic that underlies this escapes me. I personally attended a state grammar school at which quite a few fellow students had private medical insurance (obviously on their families' policies) and some were from pretty wealthy and privileged backgrounds, yet the only remarks I heard about this were occasional jokes about how these well-off parents were too mean to fund private education. No - many people who are sufficiently determined to garner power, influence and money and are sufficiently adept at achieving such goals can and will do so, irrespective of whether their education is taxpayer funded or otherwise.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

I am reminded of the famous Mrs Merton interview

"So, what first attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels?"

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                              I am reminded of the famous Mrs Merton interview

"So, what first attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels?"
                              Very amusing indeed! (and, of course, the answer wasn't "I thought that he was a conductor"); I'm not so sure that it necessarily proves or even illustrates a point here, however...

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                                I'm not so sure that it necessarily proves or even illustrates a point here, however...
                                Money talks?

Comment

Working...
                                X