X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    I'd argue that he got renovation of the London Underground going as a priority after decades of Tory neglect, increased the numbers of bus routes, and buses on the daytime service and transformed the night bus service for poor Londoners doing night shifts & office cleqaning (as well as those partying away into the wee small hours ).

His congestion charge initially led to far fewer cars on inner London's roads. That meant that buses were tremendous value for money because they got ariound faster and even Black Cabbies liked the CG because journeys took less time so they could pick up more fares in a day and collect the intial basic fare, luvvly jubbly

On top of all that he actually travelled on LT regularly, He still does! ;smiley:
    you know a lot more about day to day travel in London than me, and no doubt Ken did a lot for the system.
    My particular gripe is that, in my view, a one day off peak pass in London is pretty pricey (£7.00) compared to places I have been (Rome and Berlin for example are much cheaper).Bus passes in London are great value, but not for the day tripper !
    No doubt this is a bit small minded !
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      you know a lot more about day to day travel in London than me, and no doubt Ken did a lot for the system.
      My particular gripe is that, in my view, a one day off peak pass in London is pretty pricey (£7.00) compared to places I have been (Rome and Berlin for example are much cheaper).Bus passes in London are great value, but not for the day tripper !
      No doubt this is a bit small minded !
      Not at all teamsaint - the prices you quote are Boris-prices

Ken introduced the Oyster card that made fares much cheaper on the tube and buses. He also introduced a system whereby if you used your Oyster care you could never pay more tham the cost of a day's travel pass in one day so you could really hammer your Oyster card if you were a visitor/tourist.

Ken also introduced free travel for people aged 60+ and lower fares for unemployed people and free transport for school students.

Thanks for the reminder teamsaint

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

It's not just in London that public transport is dearer than in most European countries. Other cities have high bus fares (& worse services) than you'd find elewhere. A daily bus pass in Glasgow is probably about £4.50 now (it was £3.50 the last time I had one, 2 years ago) & obviously covers a much smaller area. If you want one to include the underground it would be even more. Rail travel is much more expensive than in Europe as well..

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

On housing, I would like to ask frenchfrank if she can advise where I can obtain the Lib Dem map of brownfield sites in London they identified for housing. Brian Paddick said that he would build 360,000 homes but I haven't been able to see where they would be. I would very much like to do so as it is probably an indication of thinking beyond LD policy and might be used as a guide by Johnson.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
            It's not just in London that public transport is dearer than in most European countries. Other cities have high bus fares (& worse services) than you'd find elewhere. A daily bus pass in Glasgow is probably about £4.50 now (it was £3.50 the last time I had one, 2 years ago) & obviously covers a much smaller area. If you want one to include the underground it would be even more. Rail travel is much more expensive than in Europe as well..
            What really annoys is that fares seem to bet set simply to get as much as possible out of captive markets.

I live 7 miles outside of Salisbury. There is an OK bus service, for a village, about 7 buses a day. A 30 day pass is £85. £85 !!

and don't get me started on the council parking "strategy ", which has resulted in the best , and most underused, park and ride in history, and almost deserted car parks.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
              On housing, I would like to ask frenchfrank if she can advise where I can obtain the Lib Dem map of brownfield sites in London they identified for housing. Brian Paddick said that he would build 360,000 homes but I haven't been able to see where they would be. I would very much like to do so as it is probably an indication of thinking beyond LD policy and might be used as a guide by Johnson.
              I suggest you contact him and ask, Lat, assuming there's anyone still there
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                I suggest you contact him and ask, Lat, assuming there's anyone still there
                Thank you for this frenchfrank.

I think I will do. If I don't receive a reply - he said he was going on a long holiday - I will try Caroline Pidgeon or ask Jenny Jones to enquire. This will, if nothing else, give me an opportunity to compare the helpfulness of the Lib Dems and the Greens.

Comment

• jean
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  What really annoys is that fares seem to bet set simply to get as much as possible out of captive markets.
                  That's what happens when you privatise public transport. I have a ten-minute bus journey into Liverpool city centre from where I live, and it costs almost £2. If you have to change buses, you pay again. In most continental cities, you buy a timed tickets that covers your entire journey.

And it's only in London that there's a decent bus service after about 5.30 pm - Thatcher drew back from deregulating buses on her doorstep.

One thing I can never forgive the Labour Government for is not re-regulating the mess Thatcher left. But nothing outside London counted much for them, either.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by jean View Post
                    That's what happens when you privatise public transport. I have a ten-minute bus journey into Liverpool city centre from where I live, and it costs almost £2. If you have to change buses, you pay again. In most continental cities, you buy a timed tickets that covers your entire journey.

And it's only in London that there's a decent bus service after about 5.30 pm - Thatcher drew back from deregulating buses on her doorstep.

One thing I can never forgive the Labour Government for is not re-regulating the mess Thatcher left. But nothing outside London counted much for them, either.
                    You've got a Mayor now, jean! Give him hell!

Comment

• jean
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Unfortunately he can do nothing about re-regulating the buses in the absence of legislation passed by central government!

I am hoping he will get hell about the horrible Liverpool Waters, but I am afraid he won't. The Greens abstained the last time the council dicussed it, but we only have two councillors...

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by jean View Post
                        Unfortunately he can do nothing about re-regulating the buses in the absence of legislation passed by central government!

I am hoping he will get hell about the horrible Liverpool Waters, but I am afraid he won't. The Greens abstained the last time the council dicussed it, but we only have two councillors...
                        Liverpool's had some rum luck with architects, jean.

Re the buses, if enough citizens give him grief about them he might be prompted to use his exalted position to start kicking up a fuss in Whitehall. Public transport should be high on any Mayor's agenda, surely

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

One of the features of living in London (I don't but work there lots) is that people constantly complain about public transport
                          when its almost the ONLY place in the UK with functioning and affordable public transport. It all runs from very early to very late at night. The bus system is brilliant and easy to navigate. The Oyster ticketing system works well etc etc

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                              One of the features of living in London (I don't but work there lots) is that people constantly complain about public transport
                              when its almost the ONLY place in the UK with functioning and affordable public transport. It all runs from very early to very late at night. The bus system is brilliant and easy to navigate. The Oyster ticketing system works well etc etc
                              I agree. Public transport in and around London is brilliant.

Comment

• aeolium
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                I agree. Public transport in and around London is brilliant.
                                It's not surprising though, is it, when you have discrepancies such as £5 spent on transport per head in the north-east compared with £2700 per head in London?:

The government spends more money on transport projects for Londoners than on those for the rest of the country combined, a new report says.

Comment

Working...
                                X