• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
    That hasn't always been the case. Clement Attlee and others certainly did have belief systems and against enormous odds (and opposition from interested groups) the post-war Labour government was able to implement policies according to those beliefs. Perhaps the decline of the main political parties has resulted from the perception that none of them is really interested any longer in pursuing policies based on strong and clearly articulated principles, only in a kind of managerialism which panders to powerful interests.
    I wouldn't want to take anything from Attlee (recently voted the greatest Prime Minister of the last century - hoorah!), but in coming to power at such a difficult time on so many fronts many things were, I think, paradoxically easier to achieve. Or at least easier to attempt. He had a huge majority/mandate and it was the ideal time to introduce such policies. I'm more inclined to ascribe the current position of the main political parties to the times rather than politicians without vision. Perhaps we should be grateful: the nearest example would probably be Thatcher ("I am a conviction politician.")
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
      Aren't Ed Miliband and the rest of the Labour Front Bench 'posh' boys and girls as well ... ?

They all sound 'posh' to me ... apart from Ed Balls who just sounds silly.
      yes.And mostly bank of England insiders or city boys and girls.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
        Aren't Ed Miliband and the rest of the Labour Front Bench 'posh' boys and girls as well ... ?

They all sound 'posh' to me ... apart from Ed Balls who just sounds silly.
        Bit harsh coming from the Man from Auchtermuchty

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

London-Wide Assembly Candidates -

Here is the snooze-worthy bruising style stereotype leading the left list -

Alex Gordon, President of the RMT, speaks about being a member of the fastest growing union in the United Kingdom .http://matking.me/Woke up this Morning are...

There is not one but two fascist lists - the BNP and National Front Putting Londoners First.

Plus Andrew Boff (Tory), wildly right wing, perennial, Nicky Gavron (Labour), frightfully posh and distant, perennial, the Christian Peoples' Alliance, UKIP, two independent Muslim activists, the English Democrats (Dads' rights basically) and The House Party.

That leaves ok Jenny Jones (Green) and the apparently reasonable Caroline Pidgeon but she's a Liberal Democrat.
          Last edited by Guest; 29-04-12, 22:05.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            yes.And mostly bank of England insiders or city boys and girls.
            And so what? If they have the education and experience it doesn't matter where they come from. To discount them simply because they come from a public school background is surely the sign of a bigot?

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
              And so what? If they have the education and experience it doesn't matter where they come from. To discount them simply because they come from a public school background is surely the sign of a bigot?
              Thanks for that !!

the labour party is utterly failing to support working people. It supports bankers and the city. It appoints bankers and city lawyers to it's front benches.

To recognise that is not bigotry, its having your eyes open, and seeing what is really going on.

I didn't mention public school backgrounds , in any case.
              Are you suggesting that I am a bigot on the basis of something that I didn't say?

Also, going back to the OP, if we are talking about experience, I would suggest that dave and george are short on experience and long on contacts, really.
              Last edited by teamsaint; 30-04-12, 06:58.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• JimD
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                As for the rest I think that Clegg has misread how 'the country' expected him to play his hand. He has been largely acquiescent or he has gone into hiding (quite disgracefully)..
                Now let's be fair and give Clegg some credit. He no longer sits there nodding like a donkey behind Cameron on the front bench. Now his preferred approach is to gaze vaguely into a space somewhere to his right.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  democracy alive and well judging by the number of views, Lat !!

And I thought Salisbury was bad.

We usually get a choice of a Tory Doctor, and Libdem Doctor, and whoever's turn it is for labour.
                  Ukip are regarded as lefty loonies hereabouts.
                  It would be a waste of petrol if I couldn't just walk down to spoil my ballot paper.
                  Surely it's time for "None of the above" to be printed on the paper ?

They all make the mistake that when people vote for them we are often voting "against" a worse option
                  surely we deserve better than this ?

Given that there are only 2 main parties now, and they both agree on most things it's hardly a great "choice" is it ?

The origin of SPAM.If you like this video, support Monthy Python buying their DVD.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Well great day leafleting yesterday . Got lost far from home, soaked to the skin in a downpour and managed to get both hands stuck in the same letterbox at the same time. Possibly a unique feat in the history of leafleters. Out for more now ... People v. the Posh Boys. Btw, has Nadine Dorries become the poster girl of the middle-class left?

Surely it's time for "None of the above" to be printed on the paper ?
                    Do you have an objection to writing it on the ballot paper yourself? Surely the defence of democracy is worth that amount of effort? (A problem, of course, for those for whom the X (that mark of the illiterate) is the limit of their capability.)
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• handsomefortune

has Nadine Dorries become the poster girl of the middle-class left?

certainly not - she is an opportunist nutter though (imv). is dorries friends with baroness warsi - god what a thought those two represent combined! wimmin eh!

Comment

• handsomefortune

whistle blow emoticon - awf side french frank!

X (that mark of the illiterate) is the limit of their capability.)

where's the ref?

Comment

• jean
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

I have a very good Green councillor to re-elect.

And a good Green candidate for Mayor, who is doing surprisingly well in the hustings, though if the Labour leader doesn't get 50% of the vote, there's an interesting independent who may stand a chance.

So all this talk of only 2 main parties now, and they both agree on most things... irritates me a lot. Why don;'t these people stand for election themselves?

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
                            whistle blow emoticon - awf side french frank!

X (that mark of the illiterate) is the limit of their capability.)

where's the ref?
                            It is a literal fact. Where you see old documents, such as Wills, signed by people who were unable to sign their own names, it appears as John X Smith, with John providing the X, having first been told where to place it. (Send a complaint to the Moderator if you are offended, btw! )

Dorries as poster girl refers to the adoption of 'Posh Boys' by the anti-Cameron/Osborne persuasion of the left.

And Jean's right: stand for election yourself and you'll find out that it's hard work!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post

And Jean's right: stand for election yourself and you'll find out that it's hard work!
                              So is being pregnant & giving birth but some things you just have to take on trust
                              Last edited by Guest; 30-04-12, 12:59. Reason: clarification ... just!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

and the prospect of winning and having to spend time with the kind of people who really enjoy it ...... and all to be despised and ridiculed and abused

and there is that dismal experience ...canvassing when you realise just what the great british public can be like ...... [out mostly or having supper]
                                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                                X