X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

when it comes to Buggin's turn one is taking it and the next is waiting and there is no predetermined length of queue .... methinks ... the only rule is stand in line and i think the LibDems have now disqualified themselves for any lines involving the voters approval .... as an old sdp wallah i find the orange book to be a disastrous development ...
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
      as an old sdp wallah i find the orange book to be a disastrous development ...
      ....Yep the days of Johan Cruyff are gone....
      bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Taking the wheel of a clapped-out Trabant may demonstrate different levels of driving skill. But it will always be a clapped-out Trabant.
        Bad analogy for the culmination of 30 years' worth of neoloberal economic orthodoxy, ff...

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by LHC View Post
          That's the first time I've seen Ken's duplicitous relationship with the Labour party expressed as a virtue. You are certainly correct that he's not really a party man. After all, Labour's campaign in London has been reduced to Tom Watson telling labour voters to "hold your nose and vote for Ken"
          I see what you mean but surely it's the Labour Party's duplicitous relationship with Ken?

Poor Frank Dobson - one minute Sec of State for Health the next thrown to the lions ... I mean voters of London

Couldn't have happened to a nicer chap

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            I see what you mean but surely it's the Labour Party's duplicitous relationship with Ken?

Poor Frank Dobson - one minute Sec of State for Health the next thrown to the lions ... I mean voters of London

Couldn't have happened to a nicer chap
            for saying that, Ams

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Bad analogy for the culmination of 30 years' worth of neoloberal economic orthodoxy, ff...
              I thought it was exact . Though I had in mind the wider political system.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I am still waiting for my polling card. I know it isn't needed. This though has never happened before. It symbolises both the chaos and the drift towards the abolition of democracy. I will probably vote but I might for the first time abstain. This election
                seems pitiful. The candidates are all dire and two of the worst are the only possible victors. Neither would get my second vote.

Comment

• John Skelton

But this illustrates my theory: that if three parties (actually four if you count the SNP in Scotland) end up looking pretty much the same on economic policies when they're in power, there are probably limitations to what, in practice, they can do. One needs to be sitting at the table hearing why one's suggestions are impracticable or counterproductive to be convinced. Taking the wheel of a clapped-out Trabant may demonstrate different levels of driving skill. But it will always be a clapped-out Trabant.
                  That's the story, for sure. Already the BBC is floating the idea that it would be dangerous for New Labour here to associate itself too closely with François Hollande because any deviation from the clapped-out Trabant theory may precipitate an economic crisis in France and that would 'taint' New Labour 'by association'. Whatever an economic crisis would look like against the background of The Economic Crisis.

However: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...=FBCNETTXT9038

[Have cast my vote. Now that the pre-work rush is over, the turnout is a promising 2.8% in our polling district. Let's hope it's not pouring with rain when people come home from work.]
                  That's what they say in the polling station at the beginning of José Saramago's Seeing http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2006...ardianreview16

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by John Skelton View Post
                    Yes, indeedy. If we've ended up with the Trabant, how dare these South Americans flaunt their Bugattis?
                    That's what they say in the polling station at the beginning of José Saramago's Seeing http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2006...ardianreview16

Unfortunately, all they need this time is a simple majority and it doesn't matter how many absentees or blank ballots they get. If it's Yes, this coming November we'll have the ultimate empowerment: to vote for who we want as our mayor and who as our police commissioner. I may contemplate the 'act of terrorism' then
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Have cast my vote. Now that the pre-work rush is over, the turnout is a promising 2.8% in our polling district.
                      On recent form, the politicians who don't like the result will say it's unrepresentative, but will overlook such observations if they do...

Comment

• mangerton
                        • Nov 2010

I have voted! It's a lovely sunny day here in Dundee, so with a bit of luck that should bring the voters out this evening. We're voting here for the second time with the STV system, so we don't use crosses, we vote in order of preference. This confused some people last time, and the result was a bit of a shambles. This time, however, the votes are to be counted electronically, so all should be well.

Or possibly not.

We'll need to wait and see.

I'm not working tomorrow, and was all set to sit up, watch TV, and cheer or groan. However there is to be no overnight count in Scotland, so we won't know the results till tomorrow afternoon - assuming, of course, that the computers work as they are intended to.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

nothing to vote for round here. I mean really, not just in a "3 identical wannabees with impossible to seperate policies" kind of way.

Although we have a Parish council by election on may 24th. I'll keep you all posted !!
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                            However there is to be no overnight count in Scotland, so we won't know the results till tomorrow afternoon
                            How mean - depriving insomniacs of their one bit of pleasure, allowed every few years!

Comment

• mangerton
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              How mean - depriving insomniacs of their one bit of pleasure, allowed every few years!
                              Thank you for your sympathy, S_A. I know I could watch the English results, but I'm afraid they would go over my head.

As for Boris and Ken, rock and a hard place and Scylla and Charybdis spring to mind. My heart goes out to all Londoners.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                                Thank you for your sympathy, S_A. I know I could watch the English results, but I'm afraid they would go over my head.

As for Boris and Ken, rock and a hard place and Scylla and Charybdis spring to mind. My heart goes out to all Londoners.
                                I have just voted Green on all three ballot papers but not with any great enthusiasm. If there had been a "destroy the system" candidate or a raving loony candidate on the constituency list, the person would have certainly got my vote. Every candidate on that list was lousy. One of my parents, previously switching between Labour, Lib Dem and Conservative, voted UKIP as a protest. The other, historically a Conservative, destroyed all three ballot papers following on from a destroyed paper in 2010.

We are all in our various ways outside this system now. Many who have just walked into this country do have more of a stake in it. The excuse for not having received a polling card was the poor postal service. No one offered to follow up on it. However, the people outside the building wanted to know what I had for breakfast and my inside leg measurement. This is how Britain is across the board. I did have a brief conversation about the second choice vote. We all agreed that many people think it is compulsory.

Comment

Working...
                                X