Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
    It doesn't have to. The first SNP government in Scotland was a minority administration. The SNP decided that they wouldn't enter into a formal coalition (or perhaps no other party would join them ), but look for support for each Bill. Perhaps it helps that Bills go through a committee system first, & can be ammended or adjusted, before being debated in parliament.
    French frank has a block about minority administrations, Flossie

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Well, given that the major message of the Tories, prior to the election, was that there would have to be big, big, public spending cuts, or as Clegg said, 'savage cuts', I think you're not entirely right.

And, incidentally, it didn't put off 59% of the voters voting for one or the other party!
      On a turnout of ....?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        In the case I cited the SNP were the largest party; if after the last Westminster election the Tories, as the largest party, had formed a minority administration then the LibDems (& other parties), not being tied into a formal coalition with a requirement to support policies they were opposed to, would have been in a much more powerful position to do what they claim to be doing (but not with any discernable effect) now - ameliorating the worst excesses of Tory policy.
        You got it there, Flossie!

Comment

• amateur51

They're all gone, eighth. I spoke to five people:

2 - needed to have the referendum explained, said they were against a mayor: may vote but probably won't remember until Friday, 0 votes
          1 - did not understand English, 0 votes
          1 - expressed interest in that interested way suggesting you're telling them something new but makes you think 'Tory': 1 vote in favour
          1 - PV voter, about to post ballot paper, a paid polling clerk: 1 vote against

Plus the guy who chucked the leaflet back at me and slammed the door: 0 vote.

Plus me, 1 vote against.

Looks like a pushover: 67% against, 33% in favour, on 43% turnout. No Boris for Bristol.
          Brava french frank!

I do admire you for doing all this, truly I do

Could you be persuaded to come to London for the day please, cos I don't want Boris in London either

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            On a turnout of ....?
            No sympathy at all for the carpers who complain but don't vote. Spoilt ballot papers are counted so the excuse that 'they're all the same', 'politicians are the offscourings of the earth' &c &c aren't a reason for not expressing your opinion.

When 'None of the above' comes top, the revolution can start

Or even second!
            Last edited by french frank; 02-05-12, 11:59. Reason: Afterthought
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

No sympathy at all for the carpers who complain but don't vote. Spoilt ballot papers are counted so the excuse that 'they're all the same', 'politicians are the offscourings of the earth' &c &c aren't a reason for not expressing your opinion.

When 'None of the above' comes top, the revolution can start

Seriously tho, if we do start talking seriously about introducing compulsory voting, I think that None Of The Above (NOTA) has to become a valid vote option, to be counted and announced; and we have to consider a threshold of NOTA votes at which the election in that constituency is invalid

Comment

• aeolium
                • Nov 2010

Not sure I entirely agree with that. Plenty of people in local (or national) elections will be faced with desperately disappointing alternatives and correctly believe it will not make the slightest difference which way they vote or whether they vote at all. I'm also not clear in what way a non-vote does not express the same kind of disenchantment as a spoiled ballot paper. Governments in uniparty states or states where the opposition is greatly enfeebled seem to think not voting does express a strong view which is why they go out of their way to pressurise people to vote so they can get 99% of the vote - they know their legitimacy would be called into question if they only won with say 55%. What clearer expression of voter disillusionment than a low turnout?

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  I do admire you for doing all this, truly I do
                  Man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, am51
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

All this success for the SNP....they might look to setting up down south....just about every fifth person I meet is Scots
                    bong ching

Comment

• amateur51

Man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, am51
                      Could you whisper that in Cleggie's ear sometime, french frank.

Second thoughts, save your whispers - he's toast

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                        • Nov 2010

>>>>'he's toast'<<<<

....toast with Marmite on it at that....
                        bong ching

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                          >>>>'he's toast'<<<<

....toast with Marmite on it at that....
                          Mmmmm! Delicious.

Yup, I think it's generally accepted that the LibDems will be toast by tomorrow night. And from the conflagration ...

Comment

• amateur51

Mmmmm! Delicious.

Yup, I think it's generally accepted that the LibDems will be toast by tomorrow night. And from the conflagration ...

You been eating those blue bits off the cheese again, french frank?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

oooh marmite and blue bits now there's sauce!

er to be fair i thought it worth quoting Mr Fink of Wapping via the Indie of Moscow

Two big, fat overwhelming things are true about this Government: two things that describe it and limit it; two things that have vastly more explanatory power than anything else I have seen advanced as an explanation of its current political problems.

First, the Prime Minister’s party does not have a parliamentary majority. To govern he needs to make a fresh deal every day with a political force very different from his own. And second, the Government has no money, the economy isn’t growing and the public are paying off debts and seeing their standard of living deteriorate.
                              from

not sympathy mind just a tadge of fairness .... now where did i leave the crackers and Gorgonzola ........................
                              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

[QUOTE=aka Calum Da Jazbo;157475]And second, the Government has no money
                                So what's new? Governments never do have any! That's hardly either headline news (even in the Indie of Moscow, I imagine) or a truth exclusive to the present UK government...

Comment

Working...
                                X