• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Harry Bidgood and his Broadcasters.

This may not be the right place for this, but what is? A young relative has discovered a lot of 1930s 78 records in her mother's loft/attic. I Googled Harry B and the music is quite fun and of its' time but is it worth anything? She has dozens of sets of records in folders and hopes to find a home for them.

Shelives in Brandon, Suffolk, and is not on line.
    Last edited by salymap; 29-04-12, 11:07.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

If you google "selling 78 records" you get a lot of traders who will buy collections ('tho' they all seem to be quite "picky"; for example : http://78rpms.com/ - I'M NOT recommending or saying "avoid" this one, it's just an example!)

The ones I've looked at all have Telephone number contacts, and will travel to buy the collections they want. As your friend's not on-line, she will need a trusted friend willing to gather the addresses & 'phone numbers for her.

Collectors also advertise in the BBC Music Magazine on the pages before the crossword (between the over-priced storage units and the Dating Agencies) - but they tend to be exclusively "classical" or uninterested in 78s.

Or she could put an Advert in Gramophobe - if she wants to spend her relatives' inheritance!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

She has a lot of local friends - it would be best for one of them to help, as some must be on line.

Thanks ferney I'll tell her. I put HB on my favourites for a bit as it leads to lots of 1930s stuff. Before my time, just!

Comment

• gamba
        Late member
        • Dec 2010

I wonder if anyone might be interested in a pile of 78s featuring Donald Peers ?

No musical connection, I hasten to add. Just happen to be married to his daughter.

Comment

• JFLL
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by salymap View Post
          This may not be the right place for this, but what is? A young relative has discovered a lot of 1930s 78 records in her mother's loft/attic. I Googled Harry B and the music is quite fun and of its' time but is it worth anything? She has dozens of sets of records in folders and hopes to find a home for them.

Shelives in Brandon, Suffolk, and is not on line.
          Harry Bidgood wasn't a top-notch bandleader like, say, Ambrose, Jack Hylton, Roy Fox, etc, but, as you say Saly, certainly good fun. I remember once Malcolm Laycock introducing one of his numbers by saying that the trombonist sounded as though he'd just come in from the pub and that the vocalist missed his cue, so "I've just got to play it"! There are a lot of danceband aficionados out there, sorely bereft at the demise of 'Sunday Night at Ten' and unhappy at the BBC's failure to cater at all for this kind of music, and I'd have thought there was someone who'd be interested. You could, for example, try contacting John Wright, who has a danceband website at http://www.jabw.demon.co.uk/, on behalf of your friend.

Comment

• handsomefortune

Originally posted by gamba View Post
            I wonder if anyone might be interested in a pile of 78s featuring Donald Peers ?

No musical connection, I hasten to add. Just happen to be married to his daughter.

ideally, peoples' record collections deserve a visit from a miraculous wizard with absolutely enormous cupboards, to store complete vinyl collections in.

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I've been off-line today, surprised to see Harry B still around

I'll pass the advice to my cousin as she might find someone in Suffolk, failing that she could advertise them perhaps. I've never heard of Harry, I just go back to Henry Hall & his band. My dad met George Elrick somewhere and got his autograph for me in the early thirties, Henry Hall seemed to be on the radio a lot then.

And gamba, another surprise from you. I remember Donald Peers singing the 'Babbling Brook' song that he used to introduce his programme.

Comment

• gamba
                Late member
                • Dec 2010

I'll pass the advice to my cousin as she might find someone in Suffolk, failing that she could advertise them perhaps. I've never heard of Harry, I just go back to Henry Hall & his band. My dad met George Elrick somewhere and got his autograph for me in the early thirties, Henry Hall seemed to be on the radio a lot then.

And gamba, another surprise from you. I remember Donald Peers singing the 'Babbling Brook' song that he used to introduce his programme.
                Don't remind me - you'll make me squirm !

Comment

• amateur51

For some reason Donald Peers & his Babbling Brook were a source of scornful mirth in our house, my mother having taken a scunner against him for some reason (do people still take 'scunners'? ).

I think it may have had something to do with Mr Peers' coming from South Wales - my mother's prejudices were rarely adorned by logic

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

IIRC, Donald Peers once sued Roy Wood for plagiarism because the latter's Angel Fingers was remarkably similar to Babbling Brook. I found this a little rich, as Mr Peers' last "chart topper", Please Don't Go was an "arrangement" of the "Barcarolle" from The Tales of Hoffmann! (Offenbach, on the technical grounds of being dead, couldn't sue.)
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                    X