• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Mug Shots or Guilt by Appearance

exactly i thought as i read Mr Jacobson on John Terry ... he looks a right villain

any thoughts on the physiognomy of other obvious villains ...

and just to get it in first

a louche chancer if ever i saw one
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

... is the one on the right our otter-lover?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

... and the one in the middle - - - is wearing --- [gulp] --- a --- TEE-SHIRT...

Comment

• amateur51

... and the one in the middle - - - is wearing --- [gulp] --- a --- TEE-SHIRT...
          That I can cope with ... it's the phnuurr-PHNUUUURRRR grin that's causing reverse-peristalsis just at the mo'

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Damn'd to all eternity, therefore, for that if for no other reason!!!
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Surely it's always been accepted from Aristotle onwards that you can read people from their faces?
              For there are mystically in our faces certain Characters that carry in them the motto of our Souls, wherein he that cannot read A.B.C. may read our natures Sir Thomas Browne

John Terry (the subject of the article) does posess a particularly nasty mean weasle face

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                Surely it's always been accepted from Aristotle onwards that you can read people from their faces?
                For there are mystically in our faces certain Characters that carry in them the motto of our Souls, wherein he that cannot read A.B.C. may read our natures Sir Thomas Browne
                ... this is indeed the case [ and Sir Thos: Browne! - my fave!! ] - but to it we need to add the insights of Professor Teufelsdröckh - "Die Kleider ihr Werden und Wirken" (Clothes, their Origin and Influence): von Diogenes Teufelsdröckh, Juris Utriusque Doctor etc, Stillschweigen und Co: Weissnichtwo, 1833 - brought into English by Thos: Carlyle as "Sartor Resartus" - which demonstrates that the Clothes Bespeak The Man. Two words suffice : Caliban, teeshirts.

Comment

• Anna

... this is indeed the case [ and Sir Thos: Browne! - my fave!! ] - but to it we need to add the insights of Professor Teufelsdröckh - "Die Kleider ihr Werden und Wirken" (Clothes, their Origin and Influence): von Diogenes Teufelsdröckh, Juris Utriusque Doctor etc, Stillschweigen und Co: Weissnichtwo, 1833 - brought into English by Thos: Carlyle as "Sartor Resartus" - which demonstrates that the Clothes Bespeak The Man. Two words suffice : Caliban, teeshirts.
                  Oh, very funny vints! Caliban must surely regret ever revealing his dark secret to such as you!!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I know I'm being slow, v (and ams) but whoever do you mean? Kate Humble? Benedict Cumberbatch?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      Oh, very funny vints! Caliban must surely regret ever revealing his dark secret to such as you!!
                      I think we are discovering much more about Beau Vinteuil than we are about me!
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                        I know I'm being slow, v (and ams) but whoever do you mean? Kate Humble? Benedict Cumberbatch?
                        ... sorry - nothing as innocent as the very lovely Humble and Cumberbatch. I was making a snide reference to a former (currently excluded) Member of these Boards, who came over from the States for the Proms and on these Boards expatiated at length on her lusty feelings for RW, whom she personified as an otter

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

... sorry - nothing as innocent as the very lovely Humble and Cumberbatch. I was making a snide reference to a former (currently excluded) Member of these Boards, who came over from the States for the Proms and on these Boards expatiated at length on her lusty feelings for RW, whom she personified as an otter
                          Ah, thanks vinteuil. All is clear.

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

I prefer to believe Shakespeare: 'There's no art to find the mind's construction in the face'. I find the whole notion of facial stereotypes dangerous. I'm sure that most Nazi war criminals looked just the type. Heinrich Himmler? Looked like a small town bank manager. Albert Speer? Could have been an office worker. Adolf Hitler's faintly comic features hid a man who was anything but. Josef Stalin's avuncular appearance similarly concealed a monster.

I have often heard people say of a man:'He looks just like a paedophile/rapist etc'. This is dangerous nonsense.

Shakespeare was right and John Terry could well be a very nice chap.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              I have often heard people say of a man:'He looks just like a paedophile/rapist etc'. This is dangerous nonsense.
                              Absolutely agree, Pet!
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X