• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

BBC Young Musician - strings

The judges let it be known that it was a tough decision between two...which indeed it was. Had it been the most technically accomplished, I think it would have been the violinist (the one who played Tzigane) whose young accompanist was phenomenal IMO. As it was they went for the 14 year old cellist, who on the grounds of musicianship certainly deserved to win. She had a natural flair, charm and ability to communicate. But how awful to have to choose between the two.

One can't finish without the usual groan about the presentation. Particularly annoying this week was GBH pretending to look at a TV monitor while candidates were playing and talking over them.
  • Mary Chambers
    • Nov 2010

I agree with you about the difficult decision. I definitely preferred the cellist, who seemed to me to have everything, but I thought the violinist would probably win. Luckily they won't be in competition in Real Life.

And yes, the presentation is awful.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

yep me too
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        GBH

Comment

• Hornspieler

The judges let it be known that it was a tough decision between two...which indeed it was. Had it been the most technically accomplished, I think it would have been the violinist (the one who played Tzigane) whose young accompanist was phenomenal IMO. As it was they went for the 14 year old cellist, who on the grounds of musicianship certainly deserved to win. She had a natural flair, charm and ability to communicate. But how awful to have to choose between the two.

One can't finish without the usual groan about the presentation. Particularly annoying this week was GBH pretending to look at a TV monitor while candidates were playing and talking over them.
          I totally agree, Ardcarp. That young cellist was so involved in the music that she seemed quite unaware of what her fingers and her bow arm were doing. It was as if she was listening to somebody else playing.

I do hope that she is not pushed too hard. She is only 14 and has a teenage life to enjoy.

HS

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

That young cellist was so involved in the music that she seemed quite unaware of what her fingers and her bow arm were doing
            Yes, and dare I say it, a certain aspect of her handling of the instrument (i.e. that flexible hold which did not restrict her head and body movements) reminded me of the young du Pre. By comparison, the young lad who played the cello...extremely good by any standard...seemed almost glued to the instrument.

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Yes, and dare I say it, a certain aspect of her handling of the instrument (i.e. that flexible hold which did not restrict her head and body movements) reminded me of the young du Pre. By comparison, the young lad who played the cello...extremely good by any standard...seemed almost glued to the instrument.
              Yes, ardcarp, I didn't watch it yesterday because of the dreadful presentation. Today,on iplayer, I could pick out the performances only and, like you, thought of the young du Pre. She was a worthy winner, but I hope she won't have to grow up too soon. She really lived the music, not just the notes.

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

but I hope she won't have to grow up too soon

From the 'chat' she came over as a mature, articulate and level-headed young lady, and she appears to have a sensible family too. We are all too aware of the dangers of hot-housing young talent, but I just have the feeling she'll cope with the pressure.

Comment

• gamba
                  Late member
                  • Dec 2010

I gave up watching music on TV many years ago. The continual use of the zoom lens is in my opinion the worst offender. The idea of finding a good shot showing the player & instrument & leaving it alone for a while is unknown to these people. They believe the ' art ' is in the presentation, their contribution, the music means nothing to them, I know, I've met them ! There are many other irritating habits, too many to list here. What has delighted me is to discover so much on YouTube from people who, lacking the facilities of the BBC, have just set up a camera & let it run. I now have a vast library of ' favourites ' extracted from this source.

Comment

Working...
                  X