• Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
    They have now.
    By jove, so they have! Triomphe!
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Not so much pedantry, but a question to those who've a knowledge of language development.

Farther/Further

Nowadays "further" is used almost universally, but in the literature of Jonathan Swift, Jane Austen and Walt Whitman, "farther" is the word that is used.

Of course, there's less likelihood of confusion with "further", as it is unlikely to be confused with a male parent, but I would like to know more about this.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        Not so much pedantry, but a question to those who've a knowledge of language development.

Farther/Further

Nowadays "further" is used almost universally, but in the literature of Jonathan Swift, Jane Austen and Walt Whitman, "farther" is the word that is used.

Of course, there's less likelihood of confusion with "further", as it is unlikely to be confused with a male parent, but I would like to know more about this.
        "Farther" is best used in relation to physical distance while "further" is more appositely used regarding metaphysical applications. There are further references to this issue to be found via Internet searches.

Comment

• Pabmusic
          • May 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post

Farther/Further

Of course, there's less likelihood of confusion with "further", as it is unlikely to be confused with a male parent, but I would like to know more about thuis.
          I shall see if I can find the source of this after several years, but I recall that there is evidence that proto-Indo-European had a complex system of vowel changes within words that was gradually replaced in newer languages by more simple inflexions. But the most commonly used among these are still with us - sing, sang, sung, song, for instance. Maybe further/farther is connected (the fact that modern usage gives subtly different meanings doesn't really answer your point - they are just useful developments).

Then again there's Great Vowel Shift fallout that left two versions of the same word - merchant and marchant, for instance, or clerk and clark. Or indeed (though it's not the vowel that shifted) shirt/shift/skirt.
          Last edited by Pabmusic; 29-01-19, 01:10.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            "Farther" is best used in relation to physical distance while "further" is more appositely used regarding metaphysical applications. There are further references to this issue to be found via Internet searches.
            Yes, I’ve looked at those references (which largely apply to US English) but in practice, “farther” has fallen into disuse, while is “Sense and Sensibility”, the opposite is true.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

... Alpie - I very much recommend you look at the several pages on farther/further in the 1996 edn of The New Fowler's Modern English Usage, which explore in detail the etymology and evolving usage patterns of both forms.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... Alpie - I very much recommend you look at the several pages on farther/further in the 1996 edn of The New Fowler's Modern English Usage, which explore in detail the etymology and evolving usage patterns of both forms.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Interesting to read Fowler. It had never occurred to me that further/farther are actually related to "forth" not "far" It seems that the original but now obsolete comparative "farrer" was driven out by those forms. I would think that "forth" has only ever been an adverb, as in "he went forth" (he went away). This must have led to "he went forther", ie he kept on going. Somehow farther/further came also to be used adjectivally. Any further questions?

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

When to leave out the word " That".

A podcast network and website to help you do things better. Money, grammar, mental health, curiosity, and more - we've got you covered.

It vaguely irritates me when it is left out in a formal context, EG BBC news report. It probably shouldn't.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      When to leave out the word " That".

A podcast network and website to help you do things better. Money, grammar, mental health, curiosity, and more - we've got you covered.

It vaguely irritates me when it is left out in a formal context, EG BBC news report. It probably shouldn't.
                      It really annoys me too.
                      But on the other hand, I would also add a comma BEFORE the 'if' in one of the examples:

You also need to ensure you don’t accidentally put in a double that. This sentence is not right: “Natalie knows that if she doesn’t remember to feed her fish that the poor little guy will die.” It needs just one that, the first one: “Natalie knows that if she doesn’t remember to feed her fish, the poor little guy will die.” A comma after “fish” will help readers understand the sentence.

I would write:
                      “Natalie knows that, if she doesn’t remember to feed her fish, the poor little guy will die.”

Indeed, I'd write:
                      You also need to ensure THAT you don't accidentally......

I like the advice from the AP guide:
                      The AP Stylebook, which is typically used by journalists, suggests you use a that when in doubt (2). It advises, “Omission can hurt. Inclusion never does.”

That's how I treat the so-called Oxford comma, too.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Nice useful website, ts.
                        I've just looked up the entry on 'like' (comparison) instead of 'such as' (inclusion), which also annoys me and which I wanted to explain to an Italian friend whose translations I am sometimes asked to comment on.

Today’s topic is “like” versus “such as.” “Like” Versus “Such As” Should you write, “Chuck enjoys desserts such as brownies, cheesecake, and macaroons” or “Chuck enjoys desserts like brownies, cheesecake, and macaroons”? Either is acceptable to many grammarians and veteran writers, but let’s look at why using “such as” is better in this instance. When Read More »

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Just wondering: how is one supposed to pronounce Flybmi? Fly B.M.I.? (I've never heard it said )
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Mal
                            • Dec 2016

That sounds right, from a Google video search:

‘The challenges, particularly those created by Brexit, have proven to be insurmountable,’ said the airline in its closing statement    

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mal View Post
                              That sounds right, from a Google video search:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8783031.html
                              Hmmm. And I'd always mentally pronounced flybe fly-bee, but I suppose that might be Fly B.E.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                Hmmm. And I'd always mentally pronounced flybe fly-bee, but I suppose that might be Fly B.E.
                                If it's Fly Body Mass Index, it's no wonder the form has fallen out of the sky!

Comment

Working...
                                X