X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Yes that's it exactly - iconoclasticism would have to be a fully worked-out philosophy rather than an occasional example of the sort of casual leftwingery the Telegraph associates with the BBC

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Cerebral, or cerebral?

For me, always the first option.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
        I think we can look forward to lots more "unpresidented acts". His aides could try taking his phone off him, but he'd only get another one
        Yes - he can't spell - that is the second example I have seen although I agree with him about Russia and probably nothing else.

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Cerebral, or cerebral?

Very wise, s_a, as always.

Very wise.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Cerebral, or cerebral?

OED has /ˈsɛrɪbrəl/ - no alternative: that's what I would say (I've never heard anyone refer to cerebral palsy).
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            OED has /ˈsɛrɪbrəl/ - no alternative: that's what I would say (I've never heard anyone refer to cerebral palsy).
            Thanks french frank. And Lat.

Here's another oddity, said repeated on this morning's The Wright Stuff: "An human disaster", describing the top man at the Red Cross's reaction to the crisis in the NHS.

Perhaps they were subconsciously thinking of an inhuman disaster. Are you an human being??

Comment

• Lat-Literal
              • Aug 2015

Thanks french frank. And Lat.

Here's another oddity, said repeated on this morning's The Wright Stuff: "An human disaster", describing the top man at the Red Cross's reaction to the crisis in the NHS.

Perhaps they were subconsciously thinking of an inhuman disaster. Are you an human being??
              An 'otel ish.

But seeing it was "The Wright Stuff", probably just wrong.

"Are you 'uman?"

"Yes I am - I am an human being"

(cue extended conflict)

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Collins: cerebral ˈsɛrɪbrəl; US: səˈri:brəl

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

It seems to reflect the frequent American pronunciation of 'human' as 'yooman'. It still shouldn't be 'an yooman' because the semi-consonant 'y' is a full consonant in that position. Americans also say 'erb' for 'herb'. But 'an erb' would then be correct.

With hotel, people perceive 'otel' to be a posh pronunciation, and 'an otel' is correct if you use that pronunciation. People mix up the two and say 'an hotel' which is silly, pseudo-posh. If you're going to pronounce the 'h', then 'a hotel' [uh hhotel], just as you say 'a hedge' or 'a heavy load'.

So 'an human' and 'an hotel' both seem to be in the category of British English speakers only partially absorbing alternative ('foreign') pronunciations.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

With hotel, people perceive 'otel' to be a posh pronunciation, and 'an otel' is correct if you use that pronunciation. People mix up the two and say 'an hotel' which is silly, pseudo-posh. If you're going to pronounce the 'h', then 'a hotel' [uh hhotel], just as you say 'a hedge' or 'a heavy load'.

... up to a point. But note that 'hedge' and 'heavy' are stressed on the first syllable. There is I think an establisht usage of using 'an' before an h where the first syllable is unstressed - so, 'a history', but 'an historical precedent'. Hence 'an hotel' is not necessarily "silly, pseudo-posh".

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      ... up to a point. But note that 'hedge' and 'heavy' are stressed on the first syllable. There is I think an establisht usage of using 'an' before an h where the first syllable is unstressed - so, 'a history', but 'an historical precedent'. Hence 'an hotel' is not necessarily "silly, pseudo-posh".
                      I agree that 'an historical' is equally acceptable, though my second thought would be whether in 'an hotel' the second syllable always carries the stress. When people say 'an hotel' they sound pretty equal to me because of the extra effort in producing the 'h' sound after the 'n'? Historical' may be exceptional. An heretical? An heroical? But an 'orrific … More complicated than I suggested

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                        Even with the "h" emphasized; "an hhotel" (as opposed to "an 'otel")?
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          Sounds like Hhhancock's hhhalf-hour...

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                            • Nov 2010

I suspect this is of World War One vintage. John Betjeman always said an 'otel and enjoyed playing goff.

Incidentally, why are American herbs "erbs?

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

... o, it's not wot I would say (I'm in the "an otel" [ or even "an ôtel" ] camp... ) : I was merely querying Fr: Fr:'s rather too rapid dismissal of "an hhotel" as a possibility.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Yes, that WAS what I meant. I'm busy doing something else and not concentrating. An istorical is fine. An hhistorical, no. And an hhotel, no. No?

Comment

Working...
                                X