• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
    In an article quoted on another thread, I find the curious but quite widespread half a bitter

There is no such thing as a bitter that you could drink half of. What people are really asking for, whether they realise it or not, is a half of bitter.
    I see - so the topic of this post is intended to be the word "pint" (which doesn't appear)? The "of"/"a" swapping (which does, and which you discuss in your reply to MrGG) isn't really the issue?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Of course. The 'of/a' swapping, as you call it, depends on the fact that the word 'pint' has been omitted. But I thought you all knew that.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

I'm going for a beer.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

There is no such thing as a bitter that you could drink half of.
          The OED does suggest that bitter n. sg. means "(A glass of) bitter beer. colloq." So 'half a bitter' is a step more colloquial, perhaps one could say? My own taste would be for "A half of heavy, please"
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

One could only say that if it was agreed that the default measurement was a pint.

I think it's too early in the day for a beer. I'm going for a coffee.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

I get the feeling that Jean's underlying unhappiness here is the (masculinist?) assumption that the default unit measure for a beer should be taken as "a pint".

I'm going for a coffee.
              I think we should be told what default unit measure for "a coffee" she is assuming...

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Caffè normale, of course.

But if I were offered some gross English quantity instead, half a coffee wouldn't get me what I wanted.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Caffè normale, of course.
                  ... ta. Mine's a noisette at this time of day.

Comment

• jean
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Actually, I too prefer a macchiato around now. I'll go and see to it.

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

[I]

But if I were offered some gross English quantity instead, half a coffee wouldn't get me what I wanted.
                      ... from which we learn, perhaps, that there is not usually a default unit for coffees, but that for some people in some contexts there is a default unit for bitter (and other beers).

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                        I get the feeling that Jean's underlying unhappiness here is the (masculinist?) assumption that the default unit measure for a beer should be taken as "a pint".
                        Though it is, of course, in this country. And 'a half' (of what unspecified) is assumed to mean half of the default pint.

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                        I think we should be told what default unit measure for "a coffee" she is assuming...
                        Caffè normale is unknown to me: un café means a usual (demitasse) express (which now seems to have gained an 'o' at the end - while keeping the 'x'?)
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Though that reminds me that in one's youth one would enter a bar and ask for 'un demi'. Or 'un demi pression'. It didn't mean half a litre so I've no idea what it was half of.

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

... un demi is 25 cl, half of une pinte, 50 cl. At least, in France. Doubtless they have different ideas in Swisserland. Or Belgium...

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

And of course Glaswegians can be heard ordering "a litre of heavy" on a daily basis.

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                The OED does suggest that bitter n. sg. means "(A glass of) bitter beer. colloq." So 'half a bitter' is a step more colloquial, perhaps one could say? My own taste would be for "A half of heavy, please"
                                Mine would be for a large G&T or large single malt, though not so large as to constitute a "pint" of either...

Comment

Working...
                                X