• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
    Even in the present case, as ff pointed out earlier,
    Compared with emphasises differences, compared to (as above) similarities?
    Yes, I'm not sure that I agree with jettisoning the choices on the grounds that the difference between them is 'too subtle'.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      I think of "with" as being side by side, so a comparison would be thought out in a reasoned manner. When I sit with someone, I like to think there's nothing antagonistic in the situation.
      I agree. I don't think 'compare with' emphasises differences. It is indeterminate in outcome, which might be differences, of varying degrees, or even similarity.

That is why I suggested that EA's masses, who can't be bothered to differentiate and always use one version, should use 'with' so that at least they will never be wrong.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

... as so often, Fowler comes to help -

compare, in the sense suggest or state a similarity, is regularly followed by to, not with ; in the sense examine or set forth the details of a supposed similarity or estimate its degree, it is regularly followed by with, not to. He compared me to Demosthenes means he suggested that I was comparable to him or put me in the same class; He compared me with Demosthenes means that he instituted a detailed comparison or pointed out where & how far I resembled or failed to resemble him. Accordingly, the preposition in each of the following is the one required by idiom : - Witness compared the noise to thunder ; The lecturer compared the British field-gun with the French ; The effect of a trumpet blast on the ear is comparable to that of scarlet on the eye; Shakspere is hardly comparable with Milton. Compared with, or to, him I am a bungler (this is a common type in which either sense is applicable).

[Modern English Usage, first edn.]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

"With" is a fascinating word, which I hadn't realized before this discussion: it takes six entire pages of the OED (the big one), not counting the additions in the Supplements. The second entry states

The prevailing senses of this preposition in the earliest periods are those of opposition ("against") and of motion or rest in proximity ("towards", "alongside") which are now current only in certain traditional collocations or specific applications. These notions readily pass into figurative uses denoting various kinds of relations, among which those implying reciprocity are at first prominent. The most remarkable development in the signification of "with" consists in its having taken over in the Middle English period the chief senses properly belonging to the Old English "mid" preposition. _ These senses are mainly those denoting association, combination or union, instrumentally or means, and attendant circumstance. These are all important senses of the Old Norse word "vith", to which fact their currency and ultimate predominance in the English word are partly due.

The last statement is particularly pertinent to the "'to' vs 'with'" discussion that started us off:

The last important stage was the extension of "with" from the instrument to the agent, in which use it was current for different periods along with [sic] "of" and "through", and later with [sic] "by", which finally superseded the other three. The range of meanings in general has no doubt been enlarged by association with the Latin "cum". The interaction of senses and sense-groups has been such that the position of a particular sense in the order of development is often difficult to determine.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

You are thinking unetymologically.

When you withstand something, or fight with someone, you are usually not very well disposed towards them.

Even in the present case, as ff pointed out earlier,
            I never realised when I asked someone to go out with me, how hostile I was being.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              I never realised when I asked someone to go out with me, how hostile I was being.
              Luckily, I've never asked an etymologist out with me.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                Luckily, I've never asked an etymologist out with me.
                Has anyone ever asked an etymologist to go out to them?

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

I have also never really thought about this before and the etymological background of "with" became clear to me as I realised that "with" is a cognate of the German "wider" = against, as in Widerstand (resistance, withstanding). Also interesting to see how the existing "mid" (as in midwife) was gradually eclipsed in English as "with" radically changed its meaning. It lives on, of course, in modern German as "mit".

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

And the older "without" meaning of "outside". (For years I thought the hymn was referring to a green hill that didn't have a city wall.)

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      Has anyone ever asked an etymologist to go out to them?
                      You'll get a smacked wrist for dirty thoughts.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

And the older "without" meaning of "outside". (For years I thought the hymn was referring to a green hill that didn't have a city wall.)
                        Or 'outwith' as they say in Scottish.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

And the older "without" meaning of "outside"...
                          Shouldn't that be the other way round?

Comment

• Don Petter

Shouldn't that be the other way round?
                            That, or an intrusive 'of'?

(Tomorrow's subject: 'The Intrusive Of' )

Comment

• mangerton
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              Or 'outwith' as they say in Scottish.
                              Indeed. There's also the Scottish word "furth", rarely encountered furth of Scotland.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                                That, or an intrusive 'of'?

(Tomorrow's subject: 'The Intrusive Of' )
                                As in "off of" ...

Comment

Working...
                                X