• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    One tiny point:

Surely it's moot now... but will become certain later next month?
    Yes, I agree. But it was written by an American, and American usage has moved away from the original, so that "a moot point" in the US is an irrelevant one, not (as in the UK) a debatable one. An Anglo-Saxon moot was, of course, a meeting convened to decide something (it's a cognate of meet).

Nice to wear the old tweed jacket with elbow patches now and again.
    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 11-03-15, 13:04.

Comment

• greenilex
      • Nov 2010

In Southampton there is a "moot point" on the Common.

People have nearly stopped turning up...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic
        American usage has moved away from the original, so that "a moot point" in the US is an irrelevant one, not (as in the UK) a debatable one.
        I didn't know that. Having come through the ranks of the law (i.e. successfully avoiding participation in all Moots), I'm afraid the incorre... err... different American usage just doesn't compute in my brain!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Honoured Guest

The legal usage of many words is different to their common usages so it's always misleading to intend a legal meaning when using any word outside a legal situation.

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

Originally posted by Honoured Guest
            The legal usage of many words is different to their common usages so it's always misleading to intend a legal meaning when using any word outside a legal situation.
            We're in danger of starting a Pedant's Paradise sub-thread here, but this isn't a case of legal usage -v- common usage. It's British usage -v- American usage. This blog illustrates the issue:

The adjective "moot" means "open to debate." Yes, really. This is a dramatic difference from its common usage (at least in America), which basically means "not worth debating." A famous example comes from Rick Springfield's lyrics in "Jessie's Girl": "I wanna tell her that I love her / But the point is probably moot," meaning that Springfield's love isn't worthy of mention, due to Jessie's girl's relationship with Jessie. (We can infer from this both that Jessie's girl is faithful to Jessie, and that

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
              Pedant's Paradise
              Point taken - posts moved!

Originally posted by Honoured Guest
              I think that's moot in both the UK and the US sense...

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

OED 'N. Amer. (orig. Law). Of a case, issue, etc.: having no practical significance or relevance; abstract, academic. Now the usual sense in North America. First recorded 1807.'

This appears to be the 'legal' meaning too, as in 'recognised as being the meaning in legal contexts'. No quibbling over it.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  This appears to be the 'legal' meaning too, as in 'recognised as being the meaning in legal contexts'. No quibbling over it.
                  That surprises me. I've always used it, at work and out, as meaning uncertain, open to debate / quibbling!

But I guess it's a moot question...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

That surprises me. I've always used it, at work and out, as meaning uncertain, open to debate / quibbling!

Concise Oxford Dictionary Third Edition (1940):

moot, n,a,& vt. (Hisat.) assembly; (Law) students' discussion of hypothetical case for practice; (adj.)n debatable; (v.t.) raise (question) for discussion, [(vb f. OE motian, adj, f.n.) OE (ge)mot, cf. Du. gemoet, cogn. W. MEET v.]

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

...mootatis mootandis...

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

I put 'legal' in quotes (excuse pedantry) to indicate not that it had any legal force (what would that be?) but that several of the quotes had legal sources, presumably because that's where 'moots' originated.

1807 Rep. U.S. Circuit Court: District Virginia (Lexis) 25 126 If a statute of the United States were to adopt a common law phrase, in the creation of an offence, no common law consequences would follow, because we have no common law. But this is a moot point.
                        1831 Rep. Supreme Court U.S. (Lexis) 30 41 Whether it is the emanation from the People or the States, is a moot question, having no bearing on the supremacy of that supreme law which from a proper source has rightfully been imposed on us by Sovereign Power.
                        1946 Univ. Pennsylvania Law Rev. Jan. 126 A lawsuit which is, or has become, moot is neither a case nor a controversy in the constitutional sense and no federal court has the power to decide it.
                        1973 N.Y. Law Jrnl. 31 Aug. 18/4 Motion for an order dismissing this indictment for lack of prosecution is dismissed as moot.

I'm sure bsp would be impressed by our diligence - can there be a better informed group of people in the kingdom on the American use of 'moot'?
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• mangerton
                          • Nov 2010

Yes, that is my understanding of the word.

You may find it interesting to look up "moat, moot, motte" hills which were often used, and frequently constructed artificially, as courts, and as places of execution. There are many such in Scotland.

Comment

• jean
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Heard on Any Answers? just now:

Caller: I hate the word diversity!

Anita Anand: That's interesting! Why do you hate the word diversity?

Caller: Well, it's diversive in itself!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

On the ten o'clock news slot I've twice heard the presenter (Martha K I think) say 'the election has now officially started'.

I believe the election takes place on one day only, and what has begun imv is the election campaign.

Edit: I meant The World Tonight, on Radio 4; and it was more probably Ritula Shah who said it.
                              Last edited by kernelbogey; 30-03-15, 11:59.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
                                Heard on Any Answers? just now:

Caller: I hate the word diversity!

Anita Anand: That's interesting! Why do you hate the word diversity?

Caller: Well, it's diversive in itself!

(Missed this a fortnight ago - like a "line" from a The Office script.)
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X