X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    In London, land of Cockney and Estuary English, it would be pronounced "Ver Tai' ".
    Speaking as one, no it wouldn't!

(A Bristolian once told me I should say "wah-ah" for that H2O stuff )

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

London being as wonderfully cosmopolitan as it is, there's no telling how "The Tate" might be pronounced.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        London being as wonderfully cosmopolitan as it is, there's no telling how "The Tate" might be pronounced.
        Is anyone bovvered?
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          (A Bristolian once told me I should say "wah-ah" for that H2O stuff )
          WAHAHAHA :-)

Working during my holiday in my uncle's battery-making (accumulator) factory, I had the Monday morning job of taking the newly laundered overalls down to the machine room. Handing over a bib-and-brace to the foreman, I apologised for it having seen better days by saying, 'Sorry its a bit holey.' He looked puzzled, and said: Jew mean holy or hawley? I said I meant hawley (full of hawls).
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            WAHAHAHA :-)

Working during my holiday in my uncle's battery-making (accumulator) factory, I had the Monday morning job of taking the newly laundered overalls down to the machine room. Handing over a bib-and-brace to the foreman, I apologised for it having seen better days by saying, 'Sorry its a bit holey.' He looked puzzled, and said: Jew mean holy or hawley? I said I meant hawley (full of hawls).

Water would be pronounced "waw-er" in cockney, or "waw-ah" in some fairly recent manifestations. And edge cutters is for cuttin' edges, not 'edges, right?

Tate would be more like "tight", like some people are.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Using that argument we might expect 7,825,200 pronunciations of "The Tate" from London.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Working during my holiday in my uncle's battery-making (accumulator) factory, .
                was that uncle Wilhelm by any chance ?

Track: 'Orgone Acumulator' by Hawkwind, from the 'Space Ritual' LP.United Artists records 1973.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                  was that uncle Wilhelm by any chance ?
                  No, car batteries (and he was Uncle John).
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
                    Take your pick!
                    Newspapers usually have a House Style rather than Take Your Pick Style.

On which subject, the last newspaper I worked on - not 20 years ago! - the house style was Rumania, rather than Romania. No one seemed to know why or to suggest Romania was the spelling generally used nowadays.

Comment

• jean
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Maybe, but here they're using three different versions of the institution's name in the same article!

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Maybe, but here they're using three different versions of the institution's name in the same article!
                        That's what I meant with the first sentence (given that it was written in the Evening Standard)!

Comment

• jean
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Sorry, I was being dense!

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Sorry, I was being dense!
                            No, I left a red herring with the second sentence. In my mind it wasn't a non sequitur, although reading it again ...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

No, I left a red herring with the second sentence. In my mind it wasn't a non sequitur, although reading it again ...
                              I believe Peregrine Worsthornes like red herrings. I mean Peregrine Falcons.

Comment

Working...
                              X