X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Because there are so many French words that begin with , and so few where it's really de but the de is not separate from what follows. If the painter's name were usually written de Gas I doubt if there'd be a problem.

(We're not alone in applying acute accents when they aren't wanted. A fashionable pizza topping when I lived in Italy was brié e rucola.)
    Last edited by jean; 26-06-14, 14:17.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Yes, if without his first name.[/url]
      That's what I meant. People were calling him Meegeren, on its own.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by french frank View Post

In Belgium, the convention is slightly different - Mr Van Rompuy is indexed as Van Rompuy, Eric; presumably because there are fewer 'Vans' in Belgium?.
        In Flemish Dutch it's Eric Van Rompuy, in Dutch Dutch Eric van Rompuy, but AFAIK in both Flemish and Dutch indices it's Rompuy, Eric van(or Van).wikipaedia is not correct here, in Belgium Van Rompuy should only be found in the French/Walloon dictionaries, not in the Dutch/Flemish ones. That's a consequence of the Nederlandse Taalunie (the Union of the Dutch Language), unifying spelling and indexing in the Dutch speaking areas in Europe and the Dutch West Indies (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, St,Maarten, Saba, St.Eustatius).

Han van Meegeren is to be found as "Meegeren, Han van" in Dutch language dictionaries/encyclopaedias etc
        [The German indices follow this rule too: Beethoven, Ludwig van]

In colloquial spoken and written Dutch it is "van Meegeren."
        Last edited by Guest; 26-06-14, 16:12.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
          In Flemish Dutch it's Eric Van Rompuy, in Dutch Dutch Eric van Rompuy, but AFAIK in both Flemish and Dutch indices it's Rompuy, Eric van(or Van).wikipaedia is not correct here, in Belgium Van Rompuy should only be found in the French/Walloon dictionaries, not in the Dutch/Flemish ones. That's a consequence of the Nederlandse Taalunie (the Union of the Dutch Language), unifying spelling and indexing in the Dutch speaking areas in Europa ...."
          ... many thanks for the corrigendum here, Roehre

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

In Flemish Dutch it's Eric Van Rompuy, in dutch Dutch Eric van Rompuy, but AFAIK in both Flemish and Dutch
            indices it's Rompuy, Eric van(or Van).
            Wiki was my sole authority In the list of Belgian politicians, all those with the particle appear under the letter V; but all the names with 'de' or 'De' appear under D, which seems very odd but does show a certain consistency in that particular list!

Han van Meegeren is to be found as "Meegeren, Han van" in Dutch language dictionaries/encyclopaedias etc
            wikipaedia is not correct here, Van Rompuy will only be found in the French/Walloon dictionaries, not in the Dutch/Flemish ones.
            [The German indices follow this rule too: Beethoven, Ludwig van]
            Wiki does say that the usage in indexes [rather than indices?] is as you say - under 'M', but Meegeren doesn't stand alone without the 'van'.

In colloquial spoken and written Dutch it is "van Meegeren."
            My experience of English, and my only book (on Vermeer) refers to him as van Meegeren (small v) regardless of whether his first name is included. Using a capital was said to be anglicisation (incl American usage).
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Wiki was my sole authority In the list of Belgian politicians, all those with the particle appear under the letter V; but all the names with 'de' or 'De' appear under D, which seems very odd but does show a certain consistency in that particular list!
              ).
              ... well, wiki did say -
              In Belgium, all prefixes are always included for sorting.

It certainly looks odd to those used to French sorting, where de is ignored but le / la is used for sorting - hence François VI, Duc de La Rochefoucauld, Prince de Marcillac goes under L...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

On Monday, on paying to leave a multi-storey car park, I noticed that the decimal point had been replaced by a decimal comma

£2,65

Have I missed something here, or is this now a widespread practice?

Comment

• jean
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

I blame the EU.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                    I blame the EU.
                    Sorry, £2 13s 0d

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
                      Not exclusively. What are those two little blue smudges on their own, just above all that green?

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                        ... well, wiki did say -

....may I point out that this is an English text and reference, not a Dutch/Flemish one

Comment

• Roehre

May I point out that this is an English list, not a Dutch/Flemish one

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

In Flemish Dutch it's Eric Van Rompuy, in Dutch Dutch Eric van Rompuy
                            So, not for the first time, I've been using double Dutch.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                              Sorry, £2 13s 0d
                              - bravo, Alpie!
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

May I point out that this is an English list, not a Dutch/Flemish one
                                But professional indexing, I think, does have certain conventions which aim to respect the usage of the different countries, and of individuals who are of one nationality but have a 'foreign' name.

I know of exceptions. For example, de Gaulle, who routinely appears under G in French indexes (e.g. Larousse), can appear under D in English ones (the Cambridge Biographical Dictionary, for example), presumably because the 'de' is never dropped so the English automatically look for it under D. However that work is so riddled with errors there may have been no reason other than that the indexer did not know.

Comment

Working...
                                X