X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Hmm! Very few West Indians in N.E Derbyshire.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
      ... Someone (was it you?) said there are strong similarities today between Frisian and the dialect of the Fens...
      thanks pabmusic. Yes, it was me

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
        thanks pabmusic. Yes, it was me
        Credit where credit's due, Roehre - a fascinating fact.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Many speakers of British English resent what they perceive as a creeping Americanisation of the language.

I had not known that there was some reciprocity here:

There appears to be little that irks a British language pedant more than Americanisms entering the British vocabulary. But it is also happening the other way round.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

If they don't like our language, they should call it "American".

Comment

• Angle
              • Dec 2010

Indeed, they should, EA.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                If they don't like our language, they should call it "American".
                I think it's just a taste of our own medicine. By coincidence, I posted this on another thread a few days ago:

Quite literally thousands of our everyday words entered British English from America in the last 150 years. Here's a very small sample:

commuter, snag, gimmick, babysitter, lengthy, sag, soggy, teenager, to butt in, hangover, blizzard, to fudge, stunt, joyride, currency (money), telephone, radio, raincoat, law-abiding, notify, to advocate, to take a backseat, graveyard, to stay put, to keep a stiff upper lip , to fly off the handle, to bark up the wrong tree, to pull the wool over one's eyes, to stub one's toe, to face the music, to knock spots off another, neither hide nor hair, to go haywire, con man, stag party, to be out on a limb, fit as a fiddle, to peter out, to pass out, to check in, to show off, to hold on, to highlight, to panic, to progress, to notice, to donate, to park, balance (remainder), census, standpoint, outhouse, immigration, reliable, influential

We have been complaining about Americanisms since at least 1745, when the Englishman Francis Moore visited Savannah, which is situated on a hill "which they in barbarous English call a bluff".

Comment

• jean
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

That's an interesting list, but surely census is an odd inclusion? We used the word for the Roman thing it first denoted - Gibbon does, certainly - but had no use for it for ourselves until we had a census of our own, which we did some time later than the USA.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

"to panic" and "to progress" are only two examples of the American habit of using nouns as verbs. That too has become widespread in Britain.

Comment

• jean
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

That's not an American habit. We've been doing it for centuries.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Do Americans ever pronounce the letter "T" other than at the beginning of words? It generally is pronounced as a "D". So we have St Peder for St Peter, gonna for going to, etc.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                          That's not an American habit. We've been doing it for centuries.
                          Evidence?

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            "to panic" and "to progress" are only two examples of the American habit of using nouns as verbs. That too has become widespread in Britain.
                            ... I'm sure we have already established (many times, many many times... ) on these Boards that the ability of the English language to turn substantives into verbs ( and vice versa, and many another flexibility... ) is a regular characteristic of the language - it has nothing to do with our American cousins...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Fair enough.

I still think my earlier reference to Peter Hain using "Parliament Act" as a verb was going a bit too far.

Comment

• amateur51

I do baulk at "to leverage" tho'
                                Last edited by Guest; 30-09-12, 16:10. Reason: being bold

Comment

Working...
                                X