• Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
    As in "Does my ask look big in this?"

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      I think that's a logical consequence, once the phrase passes into popular speech. It look as if it might have started out as a negative: 'no small ask', 'not a small ask' (= 'a big ask').
      If a big ask goes wrong, will it end up as the biggest ask disaster in the world?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
        If a big ask goes wrong, will it end up as the biggest ask disaster in the world?
        WooHooo!
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Panjandrum

You're on fire tonight Dental Floss.

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

I was rather pleased with it, in a modest sort of way

Comment

• Pabmusic
              • May 2011

This was on the BBC News website this morning:

"confidence in Mr Obama and approval of his international policies has trended downward during the course of his presidency".

So I looked around the web for something on 'nouns as verbs', because I know there's an honourable tradition of it, and Shakespeare even manages to use 'uncle' as a verb. I found several mentions af 'verbing' nouns.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post

"confidence in Mr Obama and approval of his international policies has trended downward during the course of his presidency".

So I looked around the web for something on 'nouns as verbs', because I know there's an honourable tradition of it, and Shakespeare even manages to use 'uncle' as a verb. I found several mentions af 'verbing' nouns.
                trended? it's just - no! Yuck!

Comment

• jean
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

...Shakespeare even manages to use 'uncle' as a verb...
                  Shakespeare doesn't just manage it - he does it all the time, and with the greatest of ease.

...Julius Caesar, who at Philippi the good Brutus ghosted...

...Destruction straight shall dog them at the heels...

And it's not just nouns, either:

...but me no buts...

I can never understand what all the fuss is about. You lose your inflections, you have a new resource for enriching the language. What's not to like?

Comment

• Pabmusic
                    • May 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post
                    I can never understand what all the fuss is about.
                    You have a good point. There are two sorts of verbal nouns - no, three. There are 'poetic' ones (the Shakespeare examples might fall into this category). There's ones that most people use without realising they ever were nouns first ('contact' is a good example), and there are modern ones. Most of the modern ones will die away, but some will remain, and in 80 years, no-one will be any the wiser (as is the case with 'contact').

That said, it's all a bit trendy (noun as adjective?), and often they are coined (I'm sure that's one!) unnecessarily. "Confidence in Mr Obama has gone downhill", or "has declined", says the same without a new word.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Shakespeare doesn't just manage it - he does it all the time, and with the greatest of ease.

...Julius Caesar, who at Philippi the good Brutus ghosted...

...Destruction straight shall dog them at the heels...

And it's not just nouns, either:

...but me no buts...

I can never understand what all the fuss is about. You lose your inflections, you have a new resource for enriching the language. What's not to like?
                      One of the characteristics of English is its flexibility. The prime purpose of language is to communicate and the fact that these coinages are understandable is the evidence of that flexibility.

(Adverbs can be be nuns [I mean 'nouns' of course - n'exagérons pas!] too: as in 'ups and downs'. And you can 'up' the price of something.)
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

"Confidence in Mr Obama has gone downhill", or "has declined", says the same without a new word.
                        Your rewritings don't say quite the same though, do they? The writer wants to make sure you understand that the dip he notes is part of a trend, not an isolated example.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                          • May 2011

Your rewritings don't say quite the same though, do they? The writer wants to make sure you understand that the dip he notes is part of a trend, not an isolated example.
                          I don't agree - 'decline' implies such a gradual slope (I think 'gone downhill' does as well - if the hill's not gradual in any degree, it's a cliff!). And in any case, I'm not being paid for composing copy!

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

As I said up-thread () I recently found 'trended' in Haggard's King Solomon's Mines (pub. c. 1895) - "the road trended to the left".

Comment

• Pabmusic
                              • May 2011

As I said up-thread () I recently found 'trended' in Haggard's King Solomon's Mines (pub. c. 1895) - "the road trended to the left".
                              I missed that, Floss. It only goes to show. I've been banana-skinned! (I bet that's not in Rider Haggard ).

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

The verb 'to trend' has a long history.

My old OED has quotes back to 1000 AD - "Se æppel næfre thæs feorr ne trendeth, he cyth, hwanon he com", and many subsequent references from the 14th, 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries.

The OED quotations for "trend" as a noun are much more recent - 17th, 18th, 19th cent.

Comment

Working...
                                X