X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sir Velo
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
    Talking of which, am I unreasonable to have been appalled that a person whose profession concerns lexicography and languages (the guest on Private Passions today) should have pronounced ‘Montreux’ Mon trou ?
    Mon dieu!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Talking of which, am I unreasonable to have been appalled that a person whose profession concerns lexicography and languages (the guest on Private Passions today) should have pronounced ‘Montreux’ Mon trou ?

Americans always seem to refer to Montrow whenever mentioning the jazz festival. To rhyme with "burrow", but not "Moss Cow"!

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

From a school governor in a letter in today's Times.

We should also look objectively at the volume of children who are not toilet trained before starting school, poor attendance, rising levels of child tooth extraction, hunger, obesity, mental health problems, violence, knife crime and safeguarding, to name but a few challenges. These are real-world scenarios that schools have responded to out of necessity, in part because of gaps in parenting.
        When the volume gets too high I tell the Year 5 kids to pipe down!
        I'd just about be happy with 'amount' instead, but what's wrong with 'number'?

Comment

• oliver sudden
          • Feb 2024

Any excuse for this…

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

She must dig herself out of it.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

This is a school governor speaking...

...perhaps children are just a commodity

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Americans always seem to refer to Montrow whenever mentioning the jazz festival. To rhyme with "burrow", but not "Moss Cow"!
                Like Montro(se). Sky Arts on Saturday night showed Nina Simone’s 1976 concert from that very place!

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

I think of an amount - and a number - as being static: volume (of rainwater, sound &c) as increasing and decreasing. So to me, 'volume of children' here vaguely conveys 'an increasing number', or could be decreasing depending on context. ?????? 'Numbers' in the plural could go up or down, I suppose. Or perhaps just up? the sort of case one might change one's mind about.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

... I think unreasonable to have been 'appalled' : 'surprized' perhaps.

I see wiki has various pronunciations on offer : (UK: /mɒ̃ˈtrɜː/, US: /mɒ̃ˈtroʊ/; French: [mɔ̃tʁø] ; Arpitan (ie Francoprovençal) : Montrolx)

As she is an Australian...

Comment

• smittims
                      • Aug 2022

and re 'volume' I'm always amused at 'escalated' used always to mean 'increased'. Escalators go down as well as up.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                        and re 'volume' I'm always amused at 'escalated' used always to mean 'increased'. Escalators go down as well as up.
                        ... a colleague always used to fulminate at 'quality' as in 'this is a quality product'.

"Do they mean bad quality?"

Comment

• smittims
                          • Aug 2022

Aha! In the days of 'class distinction' The Quality used to mean the 'upper' classes.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                            Aha! In the days of 'class distinction' The Quality used to mean the 'upper' classes.
                            And The Times was once a quality newspaper!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

And as for "real world scenarios".... well really!!! And people complain about low British educational standards!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                                • Jan 2011

And The Times was once a quality newspaper!
                                In the days before Murdoch, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                                X