• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    In the interests of balance? An alternative view to that of Simon Price.
    https://www.theguardian.com/music/ar...p-band-reunion
    (Signed} An Oasis Fan :-)
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

An alternative view to that of Simon Price.
      https://www.theguardian.com/music/ar...p-band-reunion
      I didn't even get half way through...

...then

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

It turns out that I have heard an Oasis song all the way through (or most of the way), as I've just discovered that they wrote 'Half The World Away', which is the theme song for The Royle Family.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

I didn't even get half way through...

...then
          Well I did manage to get all the way through and it did nothing to change my view that they were tiresome the first time round, and still are now. I may have heard some of their output, but not knowingly, so have no views on that.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Well I did manage to get all the way through and it did nothing to change my view that they were tiresome the first time round, and still are now. I may have heard some of their output, but not knowingly, so have no views on that.
            I now see that Oasis fans are moaning about the gazumping of ticket prices. Serve them right for wanting to go and see what is just bunch of juvenile narcissistic sociopaths. The way that the mass media are giving uncritical coverage of this tour is frankly yet another nauseating symptom of the times we are now living through. Do people think that the BBC are worried about their new Manchester HQ getting burned down if they don't?

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

From today's York Press:

The fast-growing Pepe’s Piri Piri Chicken opened another outlet in Piccadilly at 11am, adding to around 200 nationwide.

The restaurant, based in the former Argos catalogue, served more than 100 happy diners within the first couple of hours of trading.

York franchisee Usman Cheema told the Press: The site is jam packed. It’s been an amazing response so far. People were queueing to get in.
              I'm not surprised.

And it gets even better!

Sally Fawcett has awarded Pepe’s in York 5-stars for food, service and atmosphere, as well as overall.

Sally said on Google: “I don't even need to try the place yet to know that this place is amazing and I am so excited for it to have opened in York after pestering Pepes on Facebook for so long! For anyone who hasn't tried it yet, get yourself there.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

“I don't even need to try the place yet to know that this place is amazing
                I'm familiar with the idea of remote meetings - but remote eating?

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I now see that Oasis fans are moaning about the gazumping of ticket prices. Serve them right for wanting to go and see what is just bunch of juvenile narcissistic sociopaths. The way that the mass media are giving uncritical coverage of this tour is frankly yet another nauseating symptom of the times we are now living through. Do people think that the BBC are worried about their new Manchester HQ getting burned down if they don't?
                  I think the media's obsession with the tour is in some cases a sign of their increasingly desperate attempts to attract younger viewers/listeners. It's actually not the tour itself, but its promotion, that is currently the 'big story'.

Comment

• LHC
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I think the media's obsession with the tour is in some cases a sign of their increasingly desperate attempts to attract younger viewers/listeners. It's actually not the tour itself, but its promotion, that is currently the 'big story'.
                    Oasis were formed in 1991 and their biggest Album, (What's the Story) Morning Glory, was released in 1995. I'm not sure that focusing on a band that was a big thing thirty years ago could really said to be attracting younger viewers and listeners. The main demographic that's getting excited by this tour is middle-aged white men who want to wallow in a bit of nostalgia and relive their youth.

I suspect the reason for lots of journalists getting excited by the chance to see the Gallagher brothers plod through their turgid back catalogue is that many of them fall into the same demographic and listened to Oasis when they were young.
                    "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                    Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                      The main demographic that's getting excited by this tour is middle-aged white men who want to wallow in a bit of nostalgia and relive their youth.
                      Don't know that R3 has gone a bomb on Oasis anyway, but that age demographic is considered the 'replenisher' group for the elderly perch fallers-off.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

One of these is incorrect...

EU failing to enforce illegal fishing rules,
                        EU is failing to enforce rules on illegal fishing,
                        Unfortunately it would seem that reading the opening sentence of the article was a step too far for the headline writer.

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

It's a pity that spellcheck doesn't provide definitions. The age of cut and paste has created a tendency to assume something that's been lifted is correct rather than do a quick check, and near enough seems to be the approach when something sounds similar, regardless of whether it even makes sense.
                          Today I've come across reference to a ship floundering rather than foundering - would have been better just to say sank, which is what happened. Also using intently instead of densely(perhaps a confusion also with intensely) and, in another article, intently instead of intensively.
                          Something that has been cropping up recently is replete instead of complete (rather funny in an estate agent's blurb where a master bedroom was described as replete with ensuit [sic]). Another is ravish instead of ravage, which I find rather puzzling as I would have thought that both words are sufficiently well known to realise that there is a difference?

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

"
                            ... I'm afraid that as children we semi-deliberately used to mangle the language when it came to expressing the fact that we were hungry - "I'm famished" soon became "I'm famishing", "I'm ravished", "I'm ravishing" "I'm ravaged", "I'm ravaging" &c. This was in the 1950s - pre me-too, and all quite innocent. I think...

Comment

• Padraig
                              • Feb 2013

Interesting to learn a new meaning for a familiar word - is this an example of language evolution in the pedant world we love? Now that I know and accept the new meaning of 'coconut', why, as I ask myself in some poems, didn't I think of it myself?

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                                Interesting to learn a new meaning for a familiar word - is this an example of language evolution in the pedant world we love? Now that I know and accept the new meaning of 'coconut', why, as I ask myself in some poems, didn't I think of it myself?
                                The presenter on Lyric FM's tea-time programme this afternoon informed us that the reputation of The Dubliners was unquestionable, which I suppose is good news for people who readily take offence.

Comment

Working...
                                X