• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    failing upwards is pretty common, and the phenomenon to which it refers has been around for heaven knows how long, although previous descriptions were of the "promoted out of harm's way" type?
    The Dilbert principle?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

I'm not familiar with that one - but failing upwards is pretty common, and the phenomenon to which it refers has been around for heaven knows how long, although previous descriptions were of the "promoted out of harm's way" type?
      Not come across falling upwards. Roughly the same, I assume, as being "kicked upstairs", which is more familiar to me ...... as a phrase rather than actually happening to me.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

....as a phrase delivered at a huge convention event in a large auditorium it is a difficult phrase to pitch - as it can easily be heard as falling forward....I loved the jibe, that with 45 speaking so often about 'black jobs' - that the Presidency might just be one of those Black Jobs....The US elite have now learned irony, whether your average citizen gets it may still be up for debate (I couldn't spell - debatable)
        bong ching

Comment

• smittims
          • Aug 2022

I'm ashamed (or is it relieved?) to say that I didn't make any sense of that quotation from Michelle Obama. She might as well have been speaking ancient egyptian to me. At least it means I needn't bother reading anything else she says.

Two nations divided by a common language...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

According to a BBC reporter on art restoration at Hampton Court Palace a few minutes ago, "The project completes next month".

I am pretty sure that we were told that "complete" was a transitive verb when I was at school. In the above usage the project (subject), would surely need to be completing something which has been left unstated (object) to make grammatical sense. Why not just simply say "the project will be completed next month"? This to me is just another example of sloppy English by the once high standards setting BBC.

Comment

• smittims
              • Aug 2022

The use of transitive verbs as if they were intransitive is a bugaboo of mine. I believe it is an Americanism.

'She's hurting because he won't commit'.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                The use of transitive verbs as if they were intransitive is a bugaboo of mine. I believe it is an Americanism.

'She's hurting because he won't commit'.
                I know what you mean. Presumably, it is the modern usage where a whole person can be thought of as hurting which offends. The intransitive is well-established for one part of a person: 'My knee hurts' (true in my case) or even 'my shoe hurts'. (I vaguely remember a Spike Milligan character called Madame Legerts - Puckoon??). Also more tolerable, for me at least, is the intransitive usage: 'It doesn't hurt that .." in the sense of: 'it is not detrimental that' or even 'it is beneficial that'.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                  The intransitive is well-established for one part of a person: 'My knee hurts'
                  ... yes - almost akin to the Greek 'middle voice' - not active or passive voice, but "a verb voice that indicates the subject is both the agent and the focus of an action, or is somehow involved with the action. In other words, the subject is both the cause and the experiencer of the action."
                  As also "the door opens"

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    ... yes - almost akin to the Greek 'middle voice' - not active or passive voice, but "a verb voice that indicates the subject is both the agent and the focus of an action, or is somehow involved with the action. In other words, the subject is both the cause and the experiencer of the action."
                    As also "the door opens"
                    Indeed. But the example 'She's hurting because he won't commit' makes one cringe for reasons other than the use of a intransitive verb.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

Petroc has just mentioned the 'Academy for Alte Musik', a 'semi-translation' which just doesn't sound right to me

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                        Host
                        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                        Petroc has just mentioned the 'Academy for Alte Musik', a 'semi-translation' which just doesn't sound right to me

Académie für Ancient Musique
                        per favore?

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post

per favore?
                          A fine ensemble who occasionally tour with Holy Cecily's National Academy.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post

per favore?
                            Muy bien!

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Muy bien!
                              Getting there ... this morning we're to hear the 'Berlin Academy for Ancient Music' which is at least a complete translation, although I think 'Early' might be preferable to 'Ancient'.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Getting there ... this morning we're to hear the 'Berlin Academy for Ancient Music' which is at least a complete translation, although I think 'Early' might be preferable to 'Ancient'.
                                In recent months they've been getting themselves in a real tangle with anglicising forrin titles of ensembles and the likes of operas. It hasn't been easy for presenters I think who might have spent many years saying the original(correct in my view but that's another argument) version and may go into automatic and have to change gear midway. The version you quote I have heard several times and, like you I wish they would use "Early" - not least as it's more accurate in terms of what they do. Mind you, given the Beeb's seeming fear of anything pre mid 19thC, let alone what we might understand as early, I suppose Ancient fits their (mis)perception...

Comment

Working...
                                X