• Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Currently as well.
    Woe betide.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

... from The Times this morning -

"The Olympic Games may have Greek roots but BBC commentators should stick to English. Discussing the BMX racing yesterday, one announced that the judges would be looking at “a plethora of different criteriae”, emphasising the last syllable. Then, to his colleague’s query, he firmly added: “Criteriae is the plural of criteria.”"

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... from The Times this morning -

"The Olympic Games may have Greek roots but BBC commentators should stick to English. Discussing the BMX racing yesterday, one announced that the judges would be looking at “a plethora of different criteriae”, emphasising the last syllable. Then, to his colleague’s query, he firmly added: “Criteriae is the plural of criteria.”"

If you consider criteria an English singular noun, the plural would be criterias. The plural of criterium (a bicycle race, m'lud - had to look that up) should, I suppose, be criteriums. If simply taken as a Latin common noun (= Gk κρῐτήρῐον) the plural would still be criteria as criterium would be neuter. As The Times would say: "Stick to English".

The OED has no modern definition: three examples of criterium (1631, 1734, 1845) used as a Latinised form of κρῐτήρῐον .
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
          • Jan 2011

As The Times would say: "Stick to English".
          Surely those in Pedants' Paradise cannot agree. The use of criteria, phenomena (and not to forget media) as singular nouns drives me spare!

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Surely those in Pedants' Paradise cannot agree. The use of criteria, phenomena (and not to forget media) as singular nouns drives me spare!
            It certainly is a bacterium affectng the language.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

Yes that's another one close to my heart.*

*Literally, not physically I hasten to add!

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

It's the media wot is to blame, aren't they?

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

It's interesting, though. I was mulling over this subject, in particular the/my use of referendums. I concluded that anyone who knew the Latin plural is referenda would also understand from the context that I was using the term in a narrower, more specific, English-language way. Also agendas. I wonder whether the sporting term criterium is ever used in the plural.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    I wonder whether the sporting term criterium is ever used in the plural.
                    ... certainly is in French -

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

It's interesting, though. I was mulling over this subject, in particular the/my use of referendums. I concluded that anyone who knew the Latin plural is referenda would also understand from the context that I was using the term in a narrower, more specific, English-language way. Also agendas. I wonder whether the sporting term criterium is ever used in the plural.
                      I have no problem with the general uncountable singular media, though would certainly use a plural verb if talking about different media (as in formats, say: CDs, mp3s, etc) that material is available on.

But given that we now (courtesy of the US) have alum and alums maybe we need crit and crits.
                      I was always amused by Football Stadia as a sign (on the M6 I think): that really should be stadiums.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

My current gripe is the media use of "injured" when "wounded" would surely far better describe the gravity of, yes, wounds inflicted through crime, or war. "Injured" seems somehow to downplay the awfulness - especially given terrible events, such as in Southport this week, but this is not the first time I have felt this way about it. The euphemism seems to have crept in since the start of the latest round of aggression by Israel on Gaza - and here again, "violence", a term of use to describe natural events, is an example of manicured language. Injuries is too "objective" a term, more appropriate to unintended physical damage, as in accidents. I can hardly think that newscasters choose "injuries" in preference to "woundings" in order to spare feelings!

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Educated and logical, les français

Comment

• Padraig
                            • Feb 2013

Just saying : There was a dance hall in my youth commonly called The Crit. Smart people knew that its proper title was The Criterion. College boys knew what criterion meant and that it had a plural -criteria. I took that to be common knowledge - until today. Where did I go wrong?

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                              College boys knew what criterion meant and that it had a plural -criteria. I took that to be common knowledge - until today. Where did I go wrong?
                              A question of how words are appropriated and used in different - but sometimes connected - ways? If there are several different theatres in a chain, all called The Criterion, I can't believe they would collectively be called Criteria. I'm not even clear why a dance hall (or a theatre) would be called The Criterion.

To go back to agenda/agendas. I don't think the Romans used the word agenda to refer to a wax tablet containing items to be discussed at a meeting. Habemus agenda? Ubi sunt agenda? (Aut ubi est agenda?)

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                                • Jan 2011

A question of how words are appropriated and used in different - but sometimes connected - ways? If there are several different theatres in a chain, all called The Criterion, I can't believe they would collectively be called Criteria. I'm not even clear why a dance hall (or a theatre) would be called The Criterion
                                My little Chrome AI friend came up with this:

There isn't much information about the origin of the name Criterion Theatre right now, but here's some related information about the theater. The Criterion Theatre has hosted many historic shows, including The Merchant of Venice in 1936, Bleak Expectations, Pride and Prejudice, Amelie The Musical, and The Comedy About A Bank Robbery.

Which is wot you said, basically

Comment

Working...
                                X