X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post

Was that Alf Tupper? He of the parcel containing his running shoes while the other competitors had large sports bags for their gear?
    .....yes, a man of good sporting ethics and a builders labourer in his spare time....always brassic....(although, as an amateur his need for the prize was always a bit ambiguous to me)
    bong ching

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I'd always assumed it to be spelt "boracic",
      That's because you went to a good school.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I'd always assumed it to be spelt "boracic", a derivation from borax, one reaction to which if taken undiluted would be to recoil
        Well in its original form from which the slang came it would have been, but it's easy to see how it ended up in its current form.

Useful stuff borax - ant killer, fire retardant for fabrics, woodworm prevention, but we're not allowed to use it these days(although I think the US can) - it's all "borax substitute" which I don't think does the same job. Like creosote, coal tar, paint, making it safe goes with making it less effective.

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

You'd have thought that the council would have got this right!

A misplaced apostrophe in a council’s anti-littering campaign has highlighted the decline of regional language among younger people

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            You'd have thought that the council would have got this right!
            Interesting that Christa Ackroyd, the Yorkshire tv journalist quoted at length has quite a rant about this 'dialect' being an outdated 'flat caps, whippets and pit' working class dialect, no longer relevant today.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              Interesting that Christa Ackroyd, the Yorkshire tv journalist quoted at length has quite a rant about this 'dialect' being an outdated 'flat caps, whippets and pit' working class dialect, no longer relevant today.
              Still widespread and going strong, if not using bygone words which were designated for bygone industrial implements and practices any more - one doesn't have to travel north to find out, just watch the characters on Gogglebox. The missed direct article for which people like to inset t' to stress the glottal is widespread across "the north", along with "gerra, gerrit, gorra", not only found in Yorkshire.

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

I notice that the triathlon in Paris might be reduced to a 'duathlon' rather than a 'biathlon' - presumably to avoid any suggestion that it might suddenly turn Nordic.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                  I notice that the triathlon in Paris might be reduced to a 'duathlon' rather than a 'biathlon' - presumably to avoid any suggestion that it might suddenly turn Nordic.
                  ...or a bit 'woke'!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

The stupid supposedly grammatical practice of not putting a comma before the word and (and I don't specifically mean the Oxford comma, which I use all the time) creates ambiguities on first reading that could easily be avoided.

Here's a line from today's Guardian that really is confused!
                    It needs the second (parentheticalj comma after Emhoff, but some poor sub will have thought that there can't be one before the 'and'.

Harris has two stepchildren with her husband, lawyer Doug Emhoff and Vance, who was brought up in Ohio, was largely raised by his grandmother.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                      Wasn't the whole thing a rather in-Seine idea in the first place?

Comment

• smittims
                        • Aug 2022

Wouldn't it be best to put a semi-colon between 'Ernhoff' and 'and ' ? Or a Full stop and begin a new sentence. Otherwise we might think Doug is 'the Duke of Ernhoff and Vance ' (cf. Saxe-Coburg and Gotha).

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                          Wouldn't it be best to put a semi-colon between 'Ernhoff' and 'and ' ? Or a Full stop and begin a new sentence. Otherwise we might think Doug is 'the Duke of Ernhoff and Vance ' (cf. Saxe-Coburg and Gotha).

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Presumably the majority view was that it was a capital idea.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Here's a line from today's Guardian that really is confused!
                              It needs the second (parentheticalj comma after Emhoff, but some poor sub will have thought that there can't be one before the 'and'.
                              I feel the same way on that. I don't have particular rules, Oxford, Cambridge or redbrick, but I do add commas where I feel that a pause, even a momentary one, is natural or helpful in conveying the meaning.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Currently as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X