• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
    The radio series 'Riders Of The Range'
    It seems the comic strip was a spin-off from the original radio series and outlasted it.

"'Riders of the Range" was a western series, featuring cowboy hero Jeff Arnold and his old-timer ranch-hand sidekick Luke, in the Eagle, written by Charles Chilton and spun off from his BBC radio serial of the same name, which ran from 1949 to 1953. The comic strip began in December 1950 and outlasted its broadcast parent, running until 1962. The first artist was Jack Daniel, but editor Marcus Morris didn't like his European style and replaced him in September 1951 with Angus Scott. Frank Humphr

Off the top of my head: David Jacobs and Andrew Faulds?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by french frank View Post

It seems the comic strip was a spin-off from the original radio series and outlasted it.

"'Riders of the Range" was a western series, featuring cowboy hero Jeff Arnold and his old-timer ranch-hand sidekick Luke, in the Eagle, written by Charles Chilton and spun off from his BBC radio serial of the same name, which ran from 1949 to 1953. The comic strip began in December 1950 and outlasted its broadcast parent, running until 1962. The first artist was Jack Daniel, but editor Marcus Morris didn't like his European style and replaced him in September 1951 with Angus Scott. Frank Humphr

Off the top of my head: David Jacobs and Andrew Faulds?

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        'Journey Into Space': have I remembered correctly that was on Radio Luxembourg?
        No - BBC Light Programme. It was the last radio series to attract a bigger evening audience than TV.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

No - BBC Light Programme. It was the last radio series to attract a bigger evening audience than TV.
          Thanks. .

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
            'Journey Into Space': have I remembered correctly that was on Radio Luxembourg?
            Dan Dare: Pilot of the Future was on Radio Luxembourg (also on pp 1&2 of the Eagle comic). My brother still has those Eagle front pages stored somewhere.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• smittims
              • Aug 2022

Billy Bunter and Biggles! Yes there was a class-divide in children's comics, wasn't there? The nicely-brought-up children Marcus Morris used to encourage to visit the Boys' and Girls' exhibition at Olympia wouldn't be seen reading the Bash Street Kids or Minnie the Minx.

(Biffo the bear was my favourite. I was dismayed when he was ousted from the front page of the 'Beano' by Dennis the Menace.)

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Billy Bunter was ragged and mistreated in part for being fat - a notion that was put into our heads back in that postwar generation. The only detail I can remember is him squawking, "Cherry, you've eaten my cake!"

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

Yaroo! Leggo!

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

... the Fat Owl of the Remove, awaiting a postal order from his uncle

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                      Host
                      • Jun 2018

This Grauniad website headline "Why Rachel Reeves wants everyone to know that the Tories left the Treasury brassic".

What is brassic? I'm a Northerner and Chambers only had brassica. An online search helped...

Why use some obscure Cockney rhyming slang (brassic = boracic lint = skint)? And why not explain it? Or did some headliner writer add it?

(I did try to squeeze in a Mordant comment about being Penniless, but the sword bearer has a "u".)

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                        Why use some obscure Cockney rhyming slang (brassic = boracic lint = skint)? And why not explain it? Or did some headliner writer add it?
                        I would guess it was written by the sub-editor who subbed the piece. I wonder if it appeared in the print copy. Quite often I see words like 'color' or 'gotten' (I know, but it's not standard English) and think the online version might be for an overseas readership. But 'brassic'? I'd never heard of Brassic either .

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                          Host
                          • Jun 2018

I would guess it was written by the sub-editor who subbed the piece. I wonder if it appeared in the print copy. Quite often I see words like 'color' or 'gotten' (I know, but it's not standard English) and think the online version might be for an overseas readership. But 'brassic'? I'd never heard of Brassic either .
                          Thanks FF, I thought it might just be me.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                            Billy Bunter and Biggles! Yes there was a class-divide in children's comics, wasn't there? The nicely-brought-up children Marcus Morris used to encourage to visit the Boys' and Girls' exhibition at Olympia wouldn't be seen reading the Bash Street Kids or Minnie the Minx.

(Biffo the bear was my favourite. I was dismayed when he was ousted from the front page of the 'Beano' by Dennis the Menace.)
                            ....I styled myself on Tough of the Track....(and aways put my fish & chip wrappers in the litter bin)
                            bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

I'd always assumed it to be spelt "boracic", a derivation from borax, one reaction to which if taken undiluted would be to recoil

Comment

• Padraig
                                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post

....I styled myself on Tough of the Track....(and aways put my fish & chip wrappers in the litter bin)
                                Was that Alf Tupper? He of the parcel containing his running shoes while the other competitors had large sports bags for their gear?

Comment

Working...
                                X