X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

'Largest IT outage in history' amused me. As I recall, widespread commercial use of computers (mainframes) dated from the late 1960s: that's less than sixty years.

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
      'Largest IT outage in history' amused me. As I recall, widespread commercial use of computers (mainframes) dated from the late 1960s: that's less than sixty years.
      'Largest IT outage so far' might prove to be more accurate.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

My brain keeps processing "outage" as "outrage"...
        The disruption to payrolls has the potential to heap yet more misery on those poor souls already coping with the vagaries of Universal Credit and the DWP in general.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
          Host
          • Jun 2018

But a Computer goes back much further than that...
          Perhaps if they went on strike? "What do want? Better scrolls & pens! When do we want it? Now"

Comment

• Padraig
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post

Perhaps if they went on strike? "What do want? Better scrolls & pens! When do we want it? Now"
            Ah!Ah! Auntie. You're giving Paradise a good name.

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Curiosity rather than pedantry: ...our nation, as it always has, is counting on you to energize, to organize, and to mobilize; to register folks to vote. - Kamala Harris,

'Folks' was often in Joe Biden's public utterances, and I take it to be part of an attempt to connect with ornery* people; a trope used by US politicians.

Part of my curiosity is to what extent it originates in the German 'Volk'. I recall reading that at one point (in the 19th century) German was proposed as the official language of the United States.

* Edit: by which I meant 'ordinary', but have been corrected (below).
              Last edited by kernelbogey; 27-07-24, 12:18.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Curiosity rather than pedantry: ...our nation, as it always has, is counting on you to energize, to organize, and to mobilize; to register folks to vote. - Kamala Harris,

'Folks' was often in Joe Biden's public utterances, and I take it to be part of an attempt to connect with ornery people; a trope used by US politicians.

Part of my curiosity is to what extent it originates in the German 'Volk'. I recall reading that at one point (in the 19th century) German was proposed as the official language of the United States.
                COD says OE folc, of Germanic origin.

The plural form folks (given as an 'also' in COD) is certainly more prevalent in the US.
                My Merriam-Webster gives, specifically for folks:
                a certain kind, class, or group of people (old folks, just plain folks, country folks, media folks)
                people generally
                the persons of one's own family; especially parents

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

... I take it to be part of an attempt to connect with ornery people...
                  ... for a long time I used to think that 'ornery' was just an americanism for 'ordinary' - it took me quite a while to realize it meant 'bad-tempered, difficult to get on with'...

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... for a long time I used to think that 'ornery' was just an americanism for 'ordinary' - it took me quite a while to realize it meant 'bad-tempered, difficult to get on with'...
                    Grateful for this as I misused it ('misspoke' as Dubya used to say).

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Grateful for this as I misused it ('misspoke' as Dubya used to say).
                      Me too, though (possibly from this misuse) the Century Dictionary here gives 'ordinary' as a meaning:

Comment

• smittims
                        • Aug 2022

Clearly you didn't spend your childhood reading cowboy stories in the Eagle comic . I was quite used to the expression he's 'an ornery galoot' originally used to label a steer who wouldn't go with the herd, but trasferable to humans ,as 'a difficult customer'.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                          Clearly you didn't spend your childhood reading cowboy stories in the Eagle comic . I was quite used to the expression he's 'an ornery galoot' originally used to label a steer who wouldn't go with the herd, but trasferable to humans ,as 'a difficult customer'.
                          Ornery galoots were ten-a dime back then. 'Riders of the Range', p 3?
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                            My childhood was Look and Learn, and Knowledge!
                            But I devoured all the Famous Five, Secret Seven, Billy Bunter, and Biggles too!
                            The occasional Beano, I suspect, maybe at the barber's (something for the weekend, Sir?), but not Eagle that I recall.

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Ornery galoots were ten-a dime back then. 'Riders of the Range', p 3?
                              The radio series 'Riders Of The Range' was followed - after just a couple of months, I believe - by the first episode of 'Journey Into Space', on 21st September 1953. The title was intoned by the future host of Juke Box Jury and the part of Jet Morgan played by a future Labour MP.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                                • Nov 2010

'Journey Into Space': have I remembered correctly that was on Radio Luxembourg?

Comment

Working...
                                X