X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

They’re what the local Magyars call tocsni . I’d call them potato cakes - made, I’m assured, with grated potato, and served with sour cream and additions. Magyar No 2 has just removed my plate and looked questioning. I said, Yes please
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      They’re what the local Magyars call tocsni . I’d call them potato cakes - made, I’m assured, with grated potato, and served with sour cream and additions. Magyar No 2 has just removed my plate and looked questioning. I said, Yes please
      Perhaps this is why Pedants' Paradise is a sticky topic

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

As part of my German degree I spent a year in the small town of Schwabach, in Franconia near Nürnberg. The family where I was a lodger were very friendly and would sometimes invite me for Sunday lunch. Fränkische Kartoffelklöße - potato dumplings - were a regular inclusion and by tradition it was the man of the house, who did not otherwise involve himself very much in the cooking, who prepared them - a ritual whch I was invited to witness. They were made with a mixture of cooked and grated raw potatoes and contained crispy croutons. They were a delicious accompaniment to roast meat and gravy.

recipe

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

In the House of Lords it would be a Sir Plus.
          ... come now - this is the Pedantry thread : you can't expect readers to accept a conflation between Lords and Sirs

No sirree...

(That's the problem with Marxists - only their own hierarchies count)

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... come now - this is the Pedantry thread : you can't expect readers to accept a conflation between Lords and Sirs

No sirree...

(That's the problem with Marxists - only their own hierarchies count)

Oops: maybe I shouldn't have 'laughed' (though I thought it quite good) in response.
            On my honour, though, I got my titles confused: all those pesky dukes, earls, barons, and whatnots! My knights were clearly errant.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              My knights were clearly errant.

I read it as meaning Lords were Sirs Plus, or more than Sirs. Incidentally, was it the Guardian which hit on the genial "Mr Starmer Goes to Washington" to report the recent visit? And when the last time a PM was a Sir?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

I read it as meaning Lords were Sirs Plus, or more than Sirs. Incidentally, was it the Guardian which hit on the genial "Mr Starmer Goes to Washington" to report the recent visit? And when the last time a PM was a Sir?
                Alec Douglas-Home?

On 23 October 1963, four days after becoming prime minister, Home disclaimed his earldom and associated lesser peerages.
                Having been made a Knight of the Order of the Thistle (KT) in 1962, he was known after stepping down from the Lords as Sir Alec Douglas-Home.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

I read it as meaning Lords were Sirs Plus, or more than Sirs.
                  ... o nice, very nice!

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Alec Douglas-Home?
                    Yes, I was just returning from the garden to say I thought it must be the newly unennobled 14th Earl of Home, he who served in the same era as the 14th Mr Wilson.

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Alec Douglas-Home?
                      ... yes. I see that he disclaimed his earldom and associated lesser peerages on 23 October 1963, but wasn't elected to the House of Commons (by-election to the safe Unionist seat of Kinross and West Perthshire) until 12 November - for twenty days he was Prime Minister while not being a member of either house of Parliament...

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

I read it as surplus(to requirement). Not to be confused with surplice which will be found elsewhere on the forum...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

I read it as meaning Lords were Sirs Plus, or more than Sirs.
                          Exactly! Vints as usual was jumping to conclusions!

Comment

• burning dog
                            • Dec 2010

FF Glad you got a classical reference into your tocsni post. As you probably know sour cream is called Smetana in that part of the world

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
                              FF As you probably know sour cream is called Smetana in that part of the world

Or Smedtner as I sometimes whimsically spell the Russian version

Comment

• burning dog
                                • Dec 2010

Or Smedtner as I sometimes whimsically spell the Russian version
                                Interesting....

Comment

Working...
                                X