X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maclintick
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... as a (non-paid) pedant I was alarmed to find that 'nonplussed' is in the process of changing its meaning. Apparently it can now 'mean' (pertick'ly in the US), rather than 'disconcerted' &c - 'unruffled, unconcerned' -

Thanks for the warning, Vints. That is truly alarming. One will have to remain vigilant in case the linguistic bedfellows of nonplussed, baffled & bewildered, likewise drift into lexicographical purgatory.

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Maclintick View Post

Thanks for the warning, Vints. That is truly alarming. One will have to remain vigilant in case the linguistic bedfellows of nonplussed, baffled & bewildered, likewise drift into lexicographical purgatory.
      Not forgetting bewitched and bothered.

Comment

• Maclintick
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Not forgetting bewitched and bothered.
        I’m befuddled by the suggestion that bewitched and bothered are acceptable synonyms for nonplussed ….🥴

Comment

• AuntDaisy
          Host
          • Jun 2018

I’m befuddled by the suggestion that bewitched and bothered are acceptable synonyms for nonplussed ….🥴
          Perhaps LMcD hoped you'd sing it?

Comment

• Maclintick
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
            Perhaps LMcD hoped you'd sing it?
            I think he’d find my rendition far from bewitching - & become bothered and bewildered …🫣

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

I think he’d find my rendition far from bewitching - & become bothered and bewildered …🫣

Logically one could assume the corollary of nonplussed to be in the negative.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Would that be a plus, then?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  Would that be a plus, then?

In the House of Lords it would be a Sir Plus.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

In the House of Lords it would be a Sir Plus.

Comment

• Maclintick
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Logically one could assume the corollary of nonplussed to be in the negative.
                      That would certainly be in keeping with the most recent "semantic drift" identified in the article linked by Vints in #6524, in which nonplussed equates to unruffled or unconcerned, though perhaps the most pleasing corollary might be nonchalant, as having the negative prefix, and as with plussed, no natural opposite chalant.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                        • Jan 2011

More on nonchalant*:

Answer (1 of 13): "Nonchalant" is a word, but "chalant" is not typically used in the English language. "Nonchalant" is derived from the French word "nonchalant," which means "indifferent" or "casually unconcerned." The "non" prefix in "nonchalant" negates the root word "chalant," emphasizing the ...

* I came across this wondering if there was a French word "chalant". Perhaps FF can help here.

Comment

• Maclintick
                          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                          More on nonchalant*:

Answer (1 of 13): "Nonchalant" is a word, but "chalant" is not typically used in the English language. "Nonchalant" is derived from the French word "nonchalant," which means "indifferent" or "casually unconcerned." The "non" prefix in "nonchalant" negates the root word "chalant," emphasizing the ...

* I came across this wondering if there was a French word "chalant". Perhaps FF can help here.
                          Meanwhile, chalant does appear in this heartwarming tale featuring many lost positives....

SHOUTS AND MURMURS about man who describes meeting his wife at a party. In his description, he drops many prefixes. It had been a rough day, so when I …

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                            More on nonchalant*:

... there is the (defective) verb chaloir, 'to matter', nowadays only used in a few set phrases - il ne m'en chaut, il ne m'en chalait guère it matters, mattered, not to me; Peu m'en chaut, I don't care a fig, Non qu'il m'en chaille, not that I care.

Littré​ in his Dictionary gives examples in other tenses and moods - il chaudra, il chaudrait, il ne peut chaloir, qu'il chaille, il chalait,
                            il chalut, il a chalu...

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

FF arrive trop tard (just waiting in the caffe for my tocsni with - oh, it’s here). Quora and m vinteuil are correct . Chalant is the pres part of chaloir ‘to be warm’ . So nonchalant is to be cool, calm, unconcerned &c.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                ...just waiting in the caffe for my tocsni with - oh, it’s here
                                ... ah, but were they tocsni? -

These Hungarian potato cakes go by many names depending on the region, often causing friendly conversations to come to a halt as everyone tries to establish that they are talking about the same thi…

(all look pretty good to me... )

Comment

Working...
                                X