X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    In a W H Smith at Euston Station a fortnight ago I noticed that there was a paperback offer which had a sticker on the relevant titles saying 'Buy one get one half price'.

I did one of those quick double takes. Surely that meant that the volume I picked up was half price? It seemed a good offer so I went up to the till and pointed to the sticker. However, the charming young girl behind the counter said I had to buy two books in order to qualify for the offer (as I expected all along, obviously). I reasonably argued that that wasn't what it said on the sticker.

I bought the book anyway as it was beginning to look like a Monty Python or Two Ronnies sketch and anyway I had a train to catch.
    I'm surprised she didn't tell you to bog off!

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      In a W H Smith at Euston Station a fortnight ago I noticed that there was a paperback offer which had a sticker on the relevant titles saying 'Buy one get one half price'.

I did one of those quick double takes. Surely that meant that the volume I picked up was half price? It seemed a good offer so I went up to the till and pointed to the sticker. However, the charming young girl behind the counter said I had to buy two books in order to qualify for the offer (as I expected all along, obviously). I reasonably argued that that wasn't what it said on the sticker.

I bought the book anyway as it was beginning to look like a Monty Python or Two Ronnies sketch and anyway I had a train to catch.
      Nice line of argument, even if doomed not to convince, as you acknowledge. Along the same lines, Buy One Get One Free would mean: This Item Is Free.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

The fact that in both examples "Buy one" appears first seems to me a pretty clear indication that, whatever the subsequent offer, it is dependent on that first monetary transaction. Saying "buy one and get/choose another free/half price" might clarify, but is more words/space on the promo material, and the BOGOF highlight wouldn't work.

Comment

• smittims
          • Aug 2022

I can imagine barristers licking their lips over the amount of time ,and fees, it would take to argue that one out in court if anyone tried it as a test case.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

... in The Times this morning -

" How could Macron work with Jordan Bardella if elected French PM?"

So much wrong with this. The grammatical reading of this wd be that it would be Macron who was to be elected French PM. Even if we grit our teeth and accept that the subeditor who wrote this headline meant that it might be Bardella who wd be elected PM - no : the French Prime Minister is not 'elected' - he or she is 'appointed' by the President.

And to think that the Thunderer used to be the 'newspaper of record'. Under its current editor, a few hours from an election here, it is still having nauseating smear stories about Starmer and the Labour party...

Comment

• Padraig
              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... in The Times this morning -

" How could Macron work with Jordan Bardella if elected French PM?"

So much wrong with this. The grammatical reading of this wd be that it would be Macron who was to be elected French PM. Even if we grit our teeth and accept that the subeditor who wrote this headline meant that it might be Bardella who wd be elected PM - no : the French Prime Minister is not 'elected' - he or she is 'appointed' by the President.

And to think that the Thunderer used to be the 'newspaper of record'. Under its current editor, a few hours from an election here, it is still having nauseating smear stories about Starmer and the Labour party...

Comprehensive dismissal of that headline and newspaper, M v, and what seems to be your regret for what was once proudly known as The Times of London.
              But there might be consolation for you by contemplating a march by John Philip Sousa, The Thunderer. I mistakenly used to think it was in honour of the original Times, being so full of pride and pomp.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

'Battles of the Brits await' writes the Guardian of Wimbledon.
                Can a thing await? There seems something wrong with this....

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                  Can a thing await? There seems something wrong with this....
                  Meaning 3 of a dictionary definition I found is:

(transitive) To be in store for; to be ready or in waiting for.
                  Glorious rewards await the good in heaven; eternal suffering awaits mortal sinners in hell.

By that definition, the sentence would be OK in that the battles await us. Th​​​e "something wrong" might be that a transitive verb is being used without an object.​

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    By that definition, the sentence would be OK in that the battles await us. Th​e "something wrong" might be that a transitive verb is being used without an object.​
                    Looking through the various examples, I feel the 'something wrong' may be grammatically possible but the usage is archaic.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Looking through the various examples, I feel the 'something wrong' may be grammatically possible but the usage is archaic.

It also seems - for want of a better expression - anthropomorphic, in that the battles, i.e. tennis matches, cannot have thoughts or feelings about the outcomes.

But perhaps FF is right, and 'Battles of the Brits await us' would have been better.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                        ... not to be confused with the Times of London

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Or even the Manchester Guardian???
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Or even the Manchester Guardian???
                              Reminds me of Brian Redhead - he always used this terminology on the Today programme.

Recently found a nice book by him on National Parks in the second hand stall at Elgar Birthplace Museum

Comment

Working...
                              X