• Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Perhaps when he first met her he got an election

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

I know the Tory party are guilty of some massive misdemeanours, but an autopsy on a LIVE Tory director is perhaps a little severe
      Cuts in NHS spending?

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

I'd more or less resigned myself to the use of 'uptick' meaning 'increase', particularly when it's a good thing, but earlier today the boss of the Yorkshire Building Society referred to an 'uptick in repossessions'.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Cuts in NHS spending?
          It was the Physician Associate wot dunnit...
          The NHS says it’s not trying to replace qualified doctors with physician associates. But we can see the terrifying truth, says the palliative care doctor Rachel Clarke

Might need to be careful about the use of the abbreviation PA in future?

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

The young Turkish gentleman now singing on 'Classical Live' is, we are told, an 'alumni' - or possibly 'alumnae' - of the Young Generation Artists scheme.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

Might need to be careful about the use of the abbreviation PA in future?
              Same with PM - can be post meridian, Prime Minister, post-mortem or private message depending on circumstances.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                The young Turkish gentleman now singing on 'Classical Live' is, we are told, an 'alumni' - or possibly 'alumnae' - of the Young Generation Artists scheme.
                That's code for someone Farage wouldn't have in the country.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

BBC online news again:

NOT "In a statement, prosecutor Nancy Francois Capin-Dulhoste said .... "
                  BUT "In a statement, Nancy prosecutor Francois Capin-Dulhoste said .... "
                  His name is François and he's public prosecutor in the city of Nancy .
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    BBC online news again:

NOT "In a statement, prosecutor Nancy Francois Capin-Dulhoste said .... "
                    BUT "In a statement, Nancy prosecutor Francois Capin-Dulhoste said .... "
                    His name is François and he's public prosecutor in the city of Nancy .

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Now corrected :smug smiley:
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Rumour has it that Nancy and Lorraine were inseparable at one time.

Comment

• Padraig
                          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                          Rumour has it that Nancy and Lorraine were inseparable at one time.
                          I don't know either Nancy or Lorraine, but do you know these three women, viz the two First Ministers and the Finance Minister of The Northern Ireland Assembly. Do they constitute the First Triumfeminate of The Northern Ireland Assembly?

Stormont budget: Additional funding for Department of Health - BBC News

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post

I don't know either Nancy or Lorraine, but do you know these three women, viz the two First Ministers and the Finance Minister of The Northern Ireland Assembly. Do they constitute the First Triumfeminate of The Northern Ireland Assembly?

Stormont budget: Additional funding for Department of Health - BBC News
                            ... well at least I know how to pronounce Caoimhe -

Comment

• Padraig
                              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              ... well at least I know how to pronounce Caoimhe -
                              The other two are Mee-shell and Em-ma, two rare Irish names.

I suppose you know siobhan too, or do you?

How to say Irish Gaelic Girl Names | Part 2 - YouTube

Comment

• Petrushka
                                • Nov 2010

In a W H Smith at Euston Station a fortnight ago I noticed that there was a paperback offer which had a sticker on the relevant titles saying 'Buy one get one half price'.

I did one of those quick double takes. Surely that meant that the volume I picked up was half price? It seemed a good offer so I went up to the till and pointed to the sticker. However, the charming young girl behind the counter said I had to buy two books in order to qualify for the offer (as I expected all along, obviously). I reasonably argued that that wasn't what it said on the sticker.

I bought the book anyway as it was beginning to look like a Monty Python or Two Ronnies sketch and anyway I had a train to catch.
                                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                                X