• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Padraig
    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Possibly even uniquer?
    No no. 'More unique' is the best of those two.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
      No no. 'More unique' is the best of those two.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        I've just had a newsletter from a magazine editor expressing gratitude, in these times when newsagents have been closed, for my continuing subscription - now even more invaluable. I wonder whether to reply saying, Not at all re the subscription, but I don't think you can say 'more invaluable'.

Actually, the newsletter is from the marketing department, but has the editor's name at the bottom. I wouldn't want to get anyone sacked so perhaps I will let the matter rest
        It reminds me of those TV ads which advertised "OMO [or other brand] washes whiter!", as Dad shook his head for the umpteenth time saying, "There can be no such thing as whiter than white!"

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          It reminds me of those TV ads which advertised "OMO [or other brand] washes whiter!", as Dad shook his head for the umpteenth time saying, "There can be no such thing as whiter than white!"
          ... whereas chez nous - the TV ads saying "nothing washes whiter than xxxx" - my father for the umpteenth time wd snort "And that's why I use nothing!"

Comment

• Leinster Lass
            Banned
            • Oct 2020

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            'The TV commercial said "Nothing works better than Anadin", so I used nothing, got better AND saved money'.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
              ... whereas chez nous - the TV ads saying "nothing washes whiter than xxxx" - my father for the umpteenth time wd snort "And that's why I use nothing!"

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Reminds me of the person who claimed: "I don't drink Guinness because of the advertising. I drink it because it's good for me."

Comment

• Leinster Lass
                  Banned
                  • Oct 2020

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                  Reminds me of the person who claimed: "I don't drink Guinness because of the advertising. I drink it because it's good for me."

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

I've just heard the word "mentee" used by a contributor to Tom Service's programme. This doesn't work as a word, since there is no verb "to ment". Just checked. It is based on Mentor, the name of a Greek mythological figure. There is a verb "to mentor", so logically someone subjected to this process would have to called a "mentoree".

Comment

• Leinster Lass
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2020

I've just heard the word "mentee" used by a contributor to Tom Service's programme. This doesn't work as a word, since there is no verb "to ment". Just checked. It is based on Mentor, the name of a Greek mythological figure. There is a verb "to mentor", so logically someone subjected to this process would have to called a "mentoree".
                      'Mentee' is defined in the Cambridge English Dictionary, Webster and elsewhere - ' a person who is advised, trained, or counselled by a mentor'. I don't like it particularly, but it's clearly used often enough to merit inclusion in these esteemed works of reference.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

I've just heard the word "mentee" used by a contributor to Tom Service's programme.
                        OED say it's US originally, first reported in 1965. Another illogicality like attendee (originally and chiefly US, 1961). The noun would presumably be menter (one who ments), mentee (one who is mented). Why attendee rather than attender, I don't know, though apparently the correcter form is attendant (one who attends a meeting &c).
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

OED say it's US originally, first reported in 1965. Another illogicality like attendee (originally and chiefly US, 1961). The noun would presumably be menter (one who ments), mentee (one who is mented). Why attendee rather than attender, I don't know, though apparently the correcter form is attendant (one who attends a meeting &c).
                          And my bugbear, "standee" for someone standing, rather than someone being stood on.

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

Remembering Henry Reed's character Hilda Tablet and his "composeress" invention (or rather remembering having read about it, since I don't go back quite that far!), I'm now wiating for "composeree" as someone for whose benefit a composer composes something - but what about Ronald Stevenson's Corroboree for Grainger?...

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

And my bugbear, "standee" for someone standing, rather than someone being stood on.
                              I think that's a very US term - seen sometimes in trips to that country.

Comment

• Leinster Lass
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2020

'Standee' was used on buses for years - and may still be for all I know - to indicate the number of people who could stand. In this context, it therefore refers to people for whom no seat is available. The term may have been imported from, but was certainly not exclusive to, the USA.

Comment

Working...
                                X