X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LezLee
    • Apr 2019

Sod it, senior moment. Never been taken in before. (Slinks away, tail between legs. )

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

My eye dismissed the 93% but landed on 'population are vegan'...

Comment

• LezLee
        • Apr 2019

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Something doesn't seem quite right about this...
          Saturday evening’s ceremony was designed to be the culmination of smaller events around Galway next week.
          It comes from a general weather related article in the Guardian which included news that Galway's European Capital of Culture ceremonies had been affected by the arrival of Storm Ciara.

Comment

• alycidon
            • Feb 2013

I was watching the programme about MI6 last night and twice the term ‘director generals’ was used - once by the presenter and, alarmingly, by the DG himself. I can’t believe that seemingly educated people don’t know that the plural term is ‘directors-general’ - general in this case being an adjective, of course.

And as for mother-in-laws.....words fail me!
            Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by alycidon View Post
              Cue Les Dawson!

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

I was watching the programme about MI6 last night and twice the term ‘director generals’ was used - once by the presenter and, alarmingly, by the DG himself. I can’t believe that seemingly educated people don’t know that the plural term is ‘directors-general’ - general in this case being an adjective, of course.

I fear you must accept the fact that the media is correct and so is the data what it quotes.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                  I fear you must accept the fact that the media is correct and so is the data what it quotes.
                  At least "data" is more often treated as the plural it is, these days.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

I wonder if that's primarily an Americanism?
                    My 2012 Merriam-Webster gives it as an 'also' option for the plural, but Chambers, Collins, and Concise Oxford only give mothers-in-law.

I wonder too if current usage/thinking is that terms such as director general are now treated as a sort of composite, so naturally the plural goes as an s at the end.
                    Directors general and courts martial now sound (to my ears at least) elitist and plain awkward, as does using concerti (other than in the Italian expression concerti grossi) rather than concertos.

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                      I wonder if that's primarily an Americanism?
                      My 2012 Merriam-Webster gives it as an 'also' option for the plural, but Chambers, Collins, and Concise Oxford only give mothers-in-law.

I wonder too if current usage/thinking is that terms such as director general are now treated as a sort of composite, so naturally the plural goes as an s at the end.
                      Directors general and courts martial now sound (to my ears at least) elitist and plain awkward, as does using concerti (other than in the Italian expression concerti grossi) rather than concertos.
                      The problem with "mother-in-laws" is that there are many mothers but only one applicable law, which makes it wrong to my mind.

I don't find "Directors general and courts martial" "élitist" or "plain awkward", but each to his/her/their/its own, I guess...

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

I wonder now if there's a finer distinction: general and martial (adjectives, which don't agree in English) are not the same as the 'in-law' appendage.
                        I agree that mother-in-laws doesn't quite do the business.

Comment

• cat
                          • May 2019

Hmm. "In-laws" is acceptable, and it's surely my mother-in-law's bugbear. Given this I don't why mother-in-laws is wrong. It's obvious that people never mean one mother in multiple laws, and if they do they ought not to hyphenate it and should provide some additional context.

Comment

• Oakapple

And yet the plural of major general is major generals, not majors general. I think it would simplify things if we had a general director rather than a director general.

On another note I've just heard the presenter of Inside Music talking about klezmer music and pronouncing it kletzer every time. No, no - it's klezmer and it's not a German word.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Oakapple View Post
                              And yet the plural of major general is major generals, not majors general.
                              Isn't that because they're generals and not majors?

Comment

• Sir Velo
                                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by cat View Post
                                I don't why mother-in-laws is wrong.
                                Surely because "mothers" is the plural and not "in law".

Comment

Working...
                                X