X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    I'm two thirds of the way through Max Hastings's masterly book on the Vietnam War.

I'm struck by his avoidance of the word "and". Dozens of examples so far - when he lists three things, as he often does, he simply puts commas between them, e.g. (one I've made up) "guns, grenades, helicopters." No "and", with or without Oxford comma. Haven't noticed it in his books before, or elsewhere.
    'Masterly' is the word. I've just finished 'Chastise', which I guess must be regarded as a revisionist's take on the Dambusters raid.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

I'm two thirds of the way through Max Hastings's masterly book on the Vietnam War.

I'm struck by his avoidance of the word "and". Dozens of examples so far - when he lists three things, as he often does, he simply puts commas between them, e.g. (one I've made up) "guns, grenades, helicopters." No "and", with or without Oxford comma. Haven't noticed it in his books before, or elsewhere.
      ... I seem to recall CP Snow (does anyone read Snow nowadays?) had a tic of adjectives in threes in a similar fashion - "As the Master left his lodgings his mood was morose, chthonic, fuliginous"

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        morose, chthonic, fuliginous
        Excellent words.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

"Passengers should note that strong winds can cause dangerous gusts, and so are advised not to go close to the edge of the platform, and to keep hold of any children, pushchairs, and on to their bags".

Announcement at Herne Hill railway station today. Or train station...

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

A nice example of the difference a comma can make in today's Times - since corrected in the online edn. - "Farnes...took part in a performance of Britten's Rejoice in the Lamb at Snape Maltings, the concert hall the composer built a few months before he died."

Try it again with a comma after "built".

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

A nice example of the difference a comma can make in today's Times - since corrected in the online edn. - "Farnes...took part in a performance of Britten's Rejoice in the Lamb at Snape Maltings, the concert hall the composer built a few months before he died."

Try it again with a comma after "built".

An example of "Good King Charles walked and talked half an hour after his head was cut off"!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

An example of "Good King Charles walked and talked half an hour after his head was cut off"!
                Wouldn't that need at least a semicolon?

Comment

• Wychwood
                  • Aug 2017

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... (does anyone read Snow nowadays?)
                  Guilty as charged. And for anyone interested, the ten-part adaptation of the "Strangers and Brothers" sequence returns to R4Extra on Monday.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Homophone confusion has become so common that I now just tut in irritation, but occasionally the mistake raises a smile, as did this example from a Guardian article I have just been reading
                    braving it in standard[class] along with hoards of journalists.
                    . My mind was running along the lines of who would want hoards of journalists, where are they kept(same place as stockpiles for you know what?), who makes the decision to unlock the cupboard...

Comment

• LezLee
                      • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Wychwood View Post
                      Guilty as charged. And for anyone interested, the ten-part adaptation of the "Strangers and Brothers" sequence returns to R4Extra on Monday.
                      Thanks for that, I thought it was a great series, both in book and radio form. Anthony Powell too.

Comment

• LezLee
                        • Apr 2019

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        Homophone confusion has become so common that I now just tut in irritation, but occasionally the mistake raises a smile, as did this example from a Guardian article I have just been reading . My mind was running along the lines of who would want hoards of journalists, where are they kept(same place as stockpiles for you know what?), who makes the decision to unlock the cupboard...
                        There's a Blue Plaque at the now defunct Falkirk bus station, commemorating, I think, the Battle of Falkirk or Bannockburn or, indeed the Battles of Falkirk Bus Station of which there were many on a Saturday night. Anyway, it was in honour of the hoards of local men who bravely fought. Possibly on board the number 38 to Plean.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
                          There's a Blue Plaque at the now defunct Falkirk bus station, commemorating, I think, the Battle of Falkirk or Bannockburn or, indeed the Battles of Falkirk Bus Station of which there were many on a Saturday night. Anyway, it was in honour of the hoards of local men who bravely fought. Possibly on board the number 38 to Plean.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            "Passengers should note that strong winds can cause dangerous gusts, and so are advised not to go close to the edge of the platform, and to keep hold of any children, pushchairs, and on to their bags".

Announcement at Herne Hill railway station today. Or train station...
                            When did RSs become TSs?

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              When did RSs become TSs?
                              I think TSs was preferred to the somewhat less snappy RBPTFAIHs (Rail-Based Passenger Transportation Faciltation and Implementation Hubs).

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                                I think TSs was preferred to the somewhat less snappy PTFAIHs (Passenger Transportation Faciltation and Implementation Hubs).
                                But aren't we customers these days?

Comment

Working...
                                X