X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LezLee
    • Apr 2019

I asked a couple of Scottish friends why (the place name) Lenzie isn't pronounced Lingie. They couldn't answer me and thought I was trying to be clever!

Comment

• John Locke

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
      I asked a couple of Scottish friends why (the place name) Lenzie isn't pronounced Lingie. They couldn't answer me and thought I was trying to be clever!
      Lenzie is another example:

"Lenzie is now generally pronounced with a /z/, but used to be pronounced /lɛnjɪ/. This is because the original Scots spelling, Lenȝie, contained the letter yogh, which was later confused with the tailed z."

Robert Menzies (an Australian) pronounced his name as spelled. Menzies Campbell pronounces his name as Mingis/ˈmɪŋɪs. The ȝ sound makes it more like Min'yis.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by John Locke View Post
        Lenzie is another example:

"Lenzie is now generally pronounced with a /z/, but used to be pronounced /lɛnjɪ/. This is because the original Scots spelling, Lenȝie, contained the letter yogh, which was later confused with the tailed z."

Robert Menzies (an Australian) pronounced his name as spelled. Menzies Campbell pronounces his name as Mingis/ˈmɪŋɪs. The ȝ sound makes it more like Min'yis.
        Cf bh being v in Ireland!

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Cf bh being v in Ireland!
          Wouldn't bh be bilabial, ie not quite the same as the labiodental v?

Comment

• alycidon
            • Feb 2013

As one who has lived in Scotland for thirty-two years I can confirm that similar word constructions are pronounced differently. For example, just outside Inverness the name Daviot is pronounced as in David, but the same name near Aberdeen is pronounced to rhyme with savvy. There are numerous examples I could quote.
            Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

... one of mme v's (Scottish) father's middle names was Æneas.

I thought this was impressively exotic - but I gather it's just another way of spelling Angus.

Not quite as exciting as I had thought ...

Last edited by vinteuil; 25-09-19, 13:09.

Comment

• alycidon
                • Feb 2013

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

I thought this was impressively exotic - but I gather it's just another way of spelling Angus.

That’s another one, of course, vinteuil. The Gaelic ‘Aonghas’ is pronounced Innes!
                Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                  Wouldn't bh be bilabial, ie not quite the same as the labiodental v?
                  I don’t know the technicalities maybe I should ask Siobhan from Kobh.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Should have got together with the the Welsh baker!

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Should have got together with the the Welsh baker!
                      ... I thought our Janet was English -

Dame Janet Baker sings one of the most beautiful arias of all opera, from Purcell's Dido and Aeneas.Glyndebourne, 1966. Conductor: Charles Mackerras.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

A popular name (both forms) among the chiefs of Clan Ranald of Knoydart and Glengarry, aka MacDonells of Glengarry

Comment

• un barbu
                          • Jun 2017

Myles na gCopaleen used to have fun with his native Gaelic, or Erse if you prefer, in which he was fluent and in which he wrote a fine satire translated as 'The Poor Mouth.' One of his Cruiskeen Lawn pieces during the war is headed 'Romal Ceaptuird' (to be read phonetically, sort of.)
                          Barbatus sed non barbarus

Comment

• Padraig
                            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by un barbu View Post
                            Myles na gCopaleen used to have fun with his native Gaelic, or Erse if you prefer, in which he was fluent and in which he wrote a fine satire translated as 'The Poor Mouth.' One of his Cruiskeen Lawn pieces during the war is headed 'Romal Ceaptuird' (to be read phonetically, sort of.)
                            He was also fond of translating literally from the Irish to the amusement of the Irish Language challenged:

I was a day in Dingle and Paddy James, my sister's man, in company with me, and us in the direction of each other in the running of the day. A man he was that would not have a glass of whiskey long between his hands, or a pint of black porter either, without shooting them backwards; but he got no sweet taste ever on the one he would buy himself, and great would be the pleasure with him that another man should nudge him in the back to ask him to have one with him.

I was in Strabane recently and viewed O'Nolan's statue in the Town Square, and the Blue Plaque on his residence in the Bowling Green. I did not realise that I once lived quite near there, and that I could have crossed his path when I was a boy.

Comment

• Padraig
                              • Feb 2013

I don’t know the technicalities maybe I should ask Siobhan from Kobh.
                              Depends which Siobhan you ask, cloughie.

But treat yourself to Siobhan's little lesson; she's nice.

You can subscribe to us on Youtube by clicking here: http://bit.ly/BitesizeSubscribeHow to say The Winds "Na Gaotha" | A Poem in Irish GaelicSign-up for a FR...

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

An update:
                                ... and talking of Sowthey - how do you pronounce the great essayist : growing up I assumed it was Hazz-litt, but as an undergraduate I was persuaded it shd be Haze-litt.
                                Any views? Praps I shd contact the Hazlitt Society...
                                Hot news from the Hazlitt Society :
                                Hi - interesting question! I've never heard anything other than a short 'a', i.e. Hazz-litt, as in IPA (British) 'haz,lɪt or 'haz,lət, (US) 'hæz,lət. I've never heard anyone say 'heɪz,lət.
                                and
                                Yes, Suh-thee versus Sow-thee is a known crux, and we know that R.S. preferred the latter because of his own complaints; doubtless it amused Byron a lot in Don Juan to get it right but still rhyme it with 'mouthy' and 'drouthy', suggesting both gushing Laker wet, and 'dry Bob'.
                                I think ferney needs to re-visit his Keswick bookseller and apologize ...

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                And the poet Robert Southey, whose name should be pronounced "Suthey" (as in "southerner") if we wish to replicate how he himself ao used to do. A bookseller in Keswick tried to "correct" me into saying "South-ey" (resulting in an encounter she won't forget in a hurry); an error replicated in a QI programme last year after Sandy Toksvig, having pronounced it correctly, "corrected" by panelist Sally Phillips (someone who always comes across as having far too high an opinion of herself).

Comment

Working...
                                X