• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    Oliver Soden, in Michael Tippett, The Biography (page 112):

A number of university students, some local but most from Germany and Scandinavia, was recruited by Gardiner to join the miners,.....

Which particular (singular) number would that be?

A shame, as I'd been enjoying reading it up till then.
    Apart from the lack of specificity, what is the basis of your criticism in this instance?

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Apart from the lack of specificity, what is the basis of your criticism in this instance?
      A number of students were recruited, not was!

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

A number of students were recruited, not was!
        In which case, your criticism is unfounded. Number is a singular noun.

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Number is indeed a singular noun.
          It just happens that in such instances it takes a plural verb!

Example from Practical English Usage, OUP (section 526.2):

A number of people have tried to find the treasure, but they have all failed.

Other examples given:
          A group of us are going to take a boat through the French canals.
          A couple of my friends plan to open a travel agency.
          A lot of social problems are caused by unemployment.
          The majority of criminals are non-violent.
          Some of these are relations and the rest are old friends.
          Half of his students don't understand a word he says.

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

Excuse me chipping in ... I can't see why the writer thought "was" might be correct here. The subject of the sentence is not "a number" (singular) but "a number of students" (plural), just the same as if he had written "several students", "many students" or "27 students").

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              Excuse me chipping in ... I can't see why the writer thought "was" might be correct here. The subject of the sentence is not "a number" (singular) but "a number of students" (plural), just the same as if he had written "several students", "many students" or "27 students").
              Indeed. I suspect some over-zealous (and ill-informed) subediting!

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Looks like Fowler concurred that your preference is "safe" when "number" is preceded by an indefinite article.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                  Fowler makes a distinction between "the number of . . . " and "a number of . . . ". He asserts that the former can safely be treated as singular, the latter as a plural.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Fowler makes a distinction between "the number of . . . " and "a number of . . . ". He asserts that the former can safely be treated as singular, the latter as a plural.

Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

(Revelation of St John, 13: 18)

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

But is that not a mistranslation? I seem to recall that the original was later found to be 616.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

But is that not a mistranslation? I seem to recall that the original was later found to be 616.
                        If so, you'd better tell teamsaint, as he thinks he lives next door!

Comment

• Pabmusic
                          • May 2011

Well, perhaps, but the oldest manuscript of the Apocalypse of John (P. 115) and other ancient sources give the number of the beast as 616.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                            Well, perhaps, but the oldest manuscript of the Apocalypse of John (P. 115) and other ancient sources give the number of the beast as 616.
                            Isn't this absolutely fascinating? Not something I'd come across before and it takes some getting to the bottom of. Or something of which it takes some getting to the bottom. (Or something to the bottom of which … )

First point in dealing with manuscripts is that the oldest is not necessarily the most reliable since it may derive from a (lost) manuscript which was itself corrupt, whereas later ones derive from another lost source which was accurate.

What a cursory search hasn't yet explained to a beginner is how χιϛ (chi iota sigma) is interpreted as 616 and χξς’ (chi xi sigma) is 666. Any offers?
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

... your starter for iota :

Papyrus 115 is of interest. I like the theory that it was 616 or 666 depending on how you chose to spell 'Nero'....

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                                Isn't this absolutely fascinating? Not something I'd come across before and it takes some getting to the bottom of. Or something of which it takes some getting to the bottom. (Or something to the bottom of which … )

First point in dealing with manuscripts is that the oldest is not necessarily the most reliable since it may derive from a (lost) manuscript which was itself corrupt, whereas later ones derive from another lost source which was accurate.

What a cursory search hasn't yet explained to a beginner is how χιϛ (chi iota sigma) is interpreted as 616 and χξς’ (chi xi sigma) is 666. Any offers?
                                Reckoned by some to down to whether the Greek or Latin spelling of Nero is numeralised.

Comment

Working...
                                X