X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

From the local rag's TV listings
    Alice Roberts visits the excavation of one of Henry VIII's lost forts in Hull
    So how many forts in Hull did he have?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
      From the local rag's TV listings

So how many forts in Hull did he have?
      "Alice Roberts visits Hull to see/witness/experience the excavation of one of Henry VIII's lost forts" would be more accurate. However it involves more words to read, and, as everybody knows, time is money.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

"Alice Roberts visits Hull to see/witness/experience the excavation of one of Henry VIII's lost forts" would be more accurate. However it involves more words to read, and, as everybody knows, time is money.
        Fewer words for '"Alice Roberts visits the Hull site of one of Henry VIII's lost forts" .
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• smittims
          • Aug 2022

For me the troublesome word is 'lost'. Leave it out and it doesn't sound too ambiguous. I think it's there for the same reason that so many TV documentaries have the word 'secrets ' in the title. Theyre not 'secrets', just things not many people know about. The fort wasn't lost; it hadn't been mislaid; it didn't go anywhere. But it sounds more exciting than ' the remains of a fort no-one's bothered with until now'.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
            For me the troublesome word is 'lost'. Leave it out and it doesn't sound too ambiguous. I think it's there for the same reason that so many TV documentaries have the word 'secrets ' in the title. Theyre not 'secrets', just things not many people know about. The fort wasn't lost; it hadn't been mislaid; it didn't go anywhere. But it sounds more exciting than ' the remains of a fort no-one's bothered with until now'.

Mind you, I'd visit Alice Roberts anytime.

Comment

Working...
            X