• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
    I think 'Early' might be preferable to 'Ancient'.
    It might indeed, though Christopher Hogwood's group is the Academy of Ancient Music but it was established 50 years ago, possibly before Early Music was a Thing.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

It might indeed, though Christopher Hogwood's group is the Academy of Ancient Music but it was established 50 years ago, possibly before Early Music was a Thing.
      Chris: Hogwood's orchestra was itself named after the 'earlier' 1731 Academy of Ancient Music -

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Perhaps Friday Night Is Music Night could be renamed the Ancient Music Show, seeing as it's been around for so long..

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Perhaps Friday Night Is Music Night could be renamed the Ancient Music Show, seeing as it's been around for so long..
          Shhh! Don't give them ideas - they might cancel it!

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

... and to reflect the age of its listeners.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Shhh! Don't give them ideas - they might cancel it!
              I doubt if they welcome suggestions from non-authorized sources such as yours truly!

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post

<cough> <cough> Far be it from me ...
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post

Surely in that case it would have to be re-named the Ancient Listener's Show. Or Listeners' on their assuming there to be more than one!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

...Mind you, given the Beeb's seeming fear of anything pre mid 19thC, let alone what we might understand as early, I suppose Ancient fits their (mis)perception...
                    I think this may be down to Millenials who say and write things like 'Back in the Sixties' as though it's Ancient Rome. I have just been told by my local Apple Store [sic] that my six year old iPhone is regarded by Apple as 'vintage', and they won't repair it....!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                      I think this may be down to Millenials who say and write things like 'Back in the Sixties' as though it's Ancient Rome. I have just been told by my local Apple Store [sic] that my six year old iPhone is regarded by Apple as 'vintage', and they won't repair it....!
                      Sad, but true

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

You might find a repair shop such as this one we have in York who will assess and potentially repair it.

iPad, iPhone, iPod, Xbox, Playstation, and Nintendo repair service. Serving the whole UK from our base in York

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

You might find a repair shop such as this one we have in York who will assess and potentially repair it.

https://gamer-tech.co.uk
                          Yes I have Pulcers: they supplied and fitted a battery, which Apple of course wouldn't. The non-Apple store man said I'd probably get another year out of it. But Apple managed to install some new software overnight, to my surprise. Probably the electronic equivalent of Sanatogen.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Yes I have Pulcers: they supplied and fitted a battery, which Apple of course wouldn't. The non-Apple store man said I'd probably get another year out of it. But Apple managed to install some new software overnight, to my surprise. Probably the electronic equivalent of Sanatogen.

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

I think this may be down to Millenials who say and write things like 'Back in the Sixties' as though it's Ancient Rome.
                              I'm not a Millennial, but I must confess that to me there sometimes doesn't seem to be much difference, so great have been the changes in my world since I enjoyed (but failed to appreciate at the time) a free university education followed by a non-contributory index-linked company pension which I was allowed to claim aged just 50. With no student debt and a reasonable guaranteed income I was able to take the risk of becoming self-employed and worked happily (and quite profitably) from home for the next 18 years. I don't think such a fortunate set of circumstances would be at all easy to find these days.
                              Last edited by LMcD; 24-08-24, 09:11.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

The bible takes on a life of its own...

Thomas Tallis
                                Spem in alium
                                Lyricist: The Bible.

From today's Breakfast playlist.

Comment

Working...
                                X