• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    A bit on the lines of the singular case of social media: an article I was reading today stated: “Indeed, less than half of the possible 46 paintings that Mabel is thought to have completed are currently accounted for…”

This seems to want it both ways. Either “Fewer than half […] are accounted for” or “Less than half […] is accounted for”. Classically, since half of 46 is 23, it would be ‘fewer are’ though I wouldn’t quibble over ‘Less than one/a half is’ since logically less than one half might be one quarter or one eighth, hence requiring a singular verb (percentages are a different matter).

A difference between this and examples with ‘media’ is that one can have 46 paintings or one painting, the equivalent being '46 media or one medium', rather than one media (or mutatis mutandis ‘46 mediums and one medium’).
    I'd see it a bit differently.

If only one is accounted for, then fine.
    'Less than/fewer than' is much more likely to be more than one, so the plural 'are accounted for' works for me.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
      Host
      • Jun 2018

A bit on the lines of the singular case of social media: an article I was reading today stated: “Indeed, less than half of the possible 46 paintings that Mabel is thought to have completed are currently accounted for…”

This seems to want it both ways. Either “Fewer than half […] are accounted for” or “Less than half […] is accounted for”. Classically, since half of 46 is 23, it would be ‘fewer are’ though I wouldn’t quibble over ‘Less than one/a half is’ since logically less than one half might be one quarter or one eighth, hence requiring a singular verb (percentages are a different matter).

A difference between this and examples with ‘media’ is that one can have 46 paintings or one painting, the equivalent being '46 media or one medium', rather than one media (or mutatis mutandis ‘46 mediums and one medium’).
      Perhaps Mabel only partially completed a painting or chopped part of it off? You could then use non-integer Mathematics to enumerate them

I'm guessing this on The Times (& behind a paywall), in which case the headline quote "‘She bust up conventions’" makes me wince...

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

I'd see it a bit differently.

If only one is accounted for, then fine.
        'Less than/fewer than' is much more likely to be more than one, so the plural 'are accounted for' works for me.
        I used the word 'classically' (for which read 'does not necessarily apply nowadays') to indicate that 'less than' is not at all likely to be more than one. Because if it involves more than one it's 'fewer than'. Less cake, fewer cakes. Since there are 46 'possible' paintings thought to have been completed, even one of them would be 'fewer' than 46.

For interest, this is the paragraph preceding the one I quoted previously:

"Aptly, though, for an exhibition showcasing the work of an artist who languished forgotten for so long, the pictures that aren’t on display make just as much of an impact as those that are. Kit in the Glass with Nancy and Sammy is just one of a series of their mother’s paintings of which today we have only photographic evidence. The whereabouts of the originals is currently unknown. Lost, we hope, rather than destroyed."

For the record, the artist was Mabel Pryde Nicholson, wife of the portrait painter William Nichoson and mother of Ben Nicholson.

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artists/...holson-om-1702
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Hmmm: I'd still go for the plural paintings (since more than one, and it's the noun closest to the verb) taking the plural verb, even for example with 'one tenth of the paintings are blue, another tenth are green...'

If there's only one painting, then maybe one tenth of it is green and another is blue.

But I don't think we're in real disagreement.

Comment

• Rover_KE
            • Mar 2011

'Thank you very much indeed' may be fine to say to somebody who's paid off your mortgage or donated you a kidney, but it's distinctly OTT to say to a well-paid colleague who's simply read out the answers to a quiz question or the news headlines on the radio..

Comment

• smittims
              • Aug 2022

I've sometimes been reproved for not saying 'thank you' to someone who's done only what they were obliged to do anyeway. I think such words are more effective when reserved for occasions when they are more appropriate.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                Hmmm: I'd still go for the plural paintings (since more than one, and it's the noun closest to the verb) taking the plural verb, even for example with 'one tenth of the paintings are blue, another tenth are green...'

If there's only one painting, then maybe one tenth of it is green and another is blue.

But I don't think we're in real disagreement.
                I suspect we are in disagreement, but only in as far as I'm considering what would have been the 'classical' and 'logical' usage, which is not the same as the rather sloppier modern usage whic ... uh, do I really want to continue along these lines? No, I think I'd better retire to think it over again. As you were
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                  I've sometimes been reproved for not saying 'thank you' to someone who's done only what they were obliged to do anyeway. I think such words are more effective when reserved for occasions when they are more appropriate.
                  Well, down 'ere we always says 'Thank you' (or 'Cheers, drive') when we get off the bus, even though s/he's being paid to do the job. But I'm one who apologises when it's the other person's fault. It's just about the oil which lubricates social interactions. Means nothing, costs nothing.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Well, down 'ere we always says 'Thank you' (or 'Cheers, drive') when we get off the bus, even though s/he's being paid to do the job. .
                    ... o, we're much more formal in Shepherd's Bush. It's "Thank you, driver" here

Comment

• oliver sudden
                      • Feb 2024

Well, down 'ere we always says 'Thank you' (or 'Cheers, drive') when we get off the bus, even though s/he's being paid to do the job. But I'm one who apologises when it's the other person's fault. It's just about the oil which lubricates social interactions. Means nothing, costs nothing.
                      I’m glad the people who come to see me play see fit to extend a bit of thanks in the admittedly, objectively considered, slightly bizarre form of repeatedly slapping their hands together when I’m done, because otherwise it would be a bit of a downer, paid or not.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

The moment I settled down here I certainly noted how polite south Londoners generally are - and apologetic too, in situations I would have least expected it, such as in a supermarket aisle along which one is passing, and not even half-blocking the way, or appearing from around a corner. Back in Essex a Darwinesque survival of the shittest behavioural phenomenon seemed to prevail once anywhere within hearing distance of the M25 became yuppie Nirvana for home owning nouveau riche city spivs - one of the reasons I was happy to move away: shoppers would just barge one out of the way and seldom apologise. "You're welcome" seems to be the regular reply here to "thank you" - my habit had always been to say "It's a pleasure".

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          "You're welcome" seems to be the regular reply here to "thank you" - my habit had always been to say "It's a pleasure".
                          Danke, bitte; grazie, prego; merci, je t'en prie; gracias, de nada &c ...

Comment

• cria
                            • Jul 2022

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... and in the Market when you were old enough you would say Wham, Bang, Thank You Ma'am

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cria View Post
                              ... and in the Market when you were old enough you would say Wham, Bang, Thank You Ma'am
                              My favourite "vignette moment" of Shepherds Bush market was at the time of Torvill and Dean's ice ring spectacular, when a BBC reporter went around the stalls playing a tape of "Bolero", asking the public if anyone recognised the music and could name it. One stall holder said, "oh yeah, it's that, um, Bollero, innit... played by that geezer, what's 'is name? Ravle".

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                "oh yeah, it's that, um, Bollero, innit... played by that geezer, what's 'is name? Ravle".
                                And that kind of womenswear light jackety thing was called a 'bollero', spelled bolero I think, wasn't it? Before Torvill and Dean days. Or is it called a bə-LAY-ro in Shepherd's Bush?

Comment

Working...
                                X