X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

I think the attribution may be because it's the sort of thing Churchill would have said . He was noted for his preference for plain english,e.g re-naming the Local Defence Volunteers the Home Guard . LDV is a sort of 'Civil Service' title. It;s unambiguous and describes its object concisely and accurately. 'Home Guard' on the other hand is vague: it could mean lots of things : a new type of door-lock, a fire-safety apparatus,etc. But it's more populist and inspiring.

Sadly this trend was imitated less effectively in my view by a more recent Prime Minister. I especially disliked 'Stay Home ' and 'Get Brexit Done' : ugly English in my opinion. . .

Comment

• Roger Webb
      • Feb 2024

Originally posted by french frank View Post

a learned note from the lexicographer ben zimmer on the attribution (or misattribution) to churchill; and the various forms the quotation took:

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/langu...es/001715.html
      'never!'

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

It looks as though 'in the ascendancy' is now preferred to 'in the ascendant.'

Comment

• smittims
          • Aug 2022

I'd find it hard to argue agianst that. One could say that as 'ascendancy' is a noun it makes sense there. 'Ascendant' is an adjective, although those of us who were brought up on 19th-century poetry ('O thou transcendant') know that the noun is understood or elided ('in the ascendant form (or phase)') and to look down on those who weren't seems snobby these days. But I'm sure people who say 'ascendancy' are just copying soemone else, which is how we got 'amphorous ', 'mischeevious' and 'nucular'. .
          Last edited by smittims; 10-06-24, 07:28.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            It looks as though 'in the ascendancy' is now preferred to 'in the ascendant.'
            ... for some 'the ascendancy' has one primary meaning -

I think 'in the ascendant' in all ways preferable...

Comment

• Padraig
              • Feb 2013

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... for some 'the ascendancy' has one primary meaning -

I think 'in the ascendant' in all ways preferable...
              Far be it from me. . . but, Yes, vinteuil.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                'Ascendant' is a verb
                Ascendant (noun): Astrology. The point of the ecliptic, or degree of the zodiac, which at any moment (esp. at the birth of a child) is just rising above the eastern horizon; the horoscope. the house of the ascendant includes 5 degrees of the zodiac above this point and 25 below it. the lord of the ascendant: any planet within the house of the ascendant. (The ascendant and its lord were supposed to exercise a special influence upon the life of a child then born.)
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

Ascendant (noun): Astrology. The point of the ecliptic, or degree of the zodiac, which at any moment (esp. at the birth of a child) is just rising above the eastern horizon; the horoscope. the house of the ascendant includes 5 degrees of the zodiac above this point and 25 below it. the lord of the ascendant: any planet within the house of the ascendant. (The ascendant and its lord were supposed to exercise a special influence upon the life of a child then born.)
                  I have never thought about this but if I say either version it would probably be 'in the ascendancy", probably because that is what one seems to hear most often. I can see from the above that, it is, strictly speaking, wrong. "Ascendancy" might have taken over because people are unaware of the astrological analogy and because it sounds more like a noun than "ascendant", which obviously is a noun but one derived from an adjective.
                  ​​

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post

I have never thought about this but if I say either version it would probably be 'in the ascendancy", probably because that is what one seems to hear most often. I can see from the above that, it is, strictly speaking, wrong. "Ascendancy" might have taken over because people are unaware of the astrological analogy and because it sounds more like a noun than "ascendant", which obviously is a noun but one derived from an adjective.
                    I always thought that one was 'in the ascendant' until ascendancy was achieved.

Comment

• smittims
                      • Aug 2022

Anyway, I meant 'adjective'! I've corrected my post.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                        Anyway, I meant 'adjective'! I've corrected my post.
                        In English it largely depends how a word is used in a particular context as in boys school (v. boys' school). Boys is used adjectivally to describe the kind or nature of the school. An adjective is an added 'name' from Greek ἐπίθετον ὄνομα: hence the alternative word 'epithet'.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Padraig
                          • Feb 2013

In English it largely depends how a word is used in a particular context as in boys school (v. boys' school). Boys is used adjectivally to describe the kind or nature of the school. An adjective is an added 'name' from Greek ἐπίθετον ὄνομα: hence the alternative word 'epithet'.
                          Point of information. While agreeing with the explanation that boys is used adjectively, and therefore boys school is perfectly correct, cannot boys' also be used adjectively and correct? A school of boys v a school for boys?

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Padraig View Post

Point of information. While agreeing with the explanation that boys is used adjectively, and therefore boys school is perfectly correct, cannot boys' also be used adjectively and correct? A school of boys v a school for boys?
                            But it's not possessive, is it?
                            It doesn't BELONG to the boys.
                            That's why (I suppose) it's OK to see Visitors Car Park and suchlike.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                              But it's not possessive, is it? It doesn't BELONG to the boys.
                              That would be my view. The apostrophe in these cases would indicate possession rather than omission (as in I'm, he's, don't).

Comment

• Padraig
                                • Feb 2013

That would be my view. The apostrophe in these cases would indicate possession rather than omission (as in I'm, he's, don't).
                                'The boys' school' could be translated as 'The school of the boys,' thus fulfilling the possessive function of the apostrophe, but also indicating a genitive case?

Comment

Working...
                                X