• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AuntDaisy
    Host
    • Jun 2018

BBC headline "Why scientists are studying whales with a crossbow"

I had visions of a harpoon-wielding Moby Dick (or Duck*) hunting the Pequod...

Do the whales pass the crossbow amongst themselves, ready for the scientist to study them?

* "Evening, Vicar"... "It's not every day you see a giant duck with a wooden leg". RTH 5/6/1966

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Equally awkward is this, from the Guardian. Why not just to record an interview?

Rishi Sunak has been criticised for leaving the D-day commemorations in Normandy early on Thursday, with reports that he returned to the UK to do a prerecorded TV interview.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        Equally awkward is this, from the Guardian. Why not just to record an interview?

Rishi Sunak has been criticised for leaving the D-day commemorations in Normandy early on Thursday, with reports that he returned to the UK to do a prerecorded TV interview.
        If it was prerecorded why did he need to return? In any case these days I thought the advance of tech meant that physical presence was needed for such things - a room and some kit and post- recording editing would do?

I've just read a report and now see that it wasn't a prerecorded interview(ie one done earlier as I thought), but just an election promo/misinformation video. His apology made sure we knew he didn't stay -
        I returned back to the UK.
        Nothing like a bit of tautology to reinforce a statement.
        Can't help thinking that a certain previous PM wouldn't have passed up the chance for more photo-ops with the assembled leaders...
        Last edited by oddoneout; 07-06-24, 08:38.

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

If it was prerecorded why did he need to return? In any case these days I thought the advance of tech meant that physical presence was needed for such things - a room and some kit and post- recording editing would do?

I've just read a report and now see that it wasn't a prerecorded interview(ie one done earlier as I thought), but just an election promo/misinformation video. His apology made sure we knew he didn't stay - Nothing like a bit of tautology to reinforce a statement.
          Can't help thinking that a certain previous PM wouldn't have passed up the chance for more photo-ops with the assembled leaders...
          Indeed!
          (Did you miss a NOT out, ooo? .... presence NOT needed?)
          Last edited by Pulcinella; 07-06-24, 09:34. Reason: Misplaced space corrected!

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Indeed!
            (Did you miss a NOT out ,ooo? .... presence NOT needed?)
            Pedant!
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Pedant!
              Isn't that the whole point of this thread?

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

Isn't that the whole point of this thread?
                At least ooo didn't miss a point [.], or commit an apostrophic misdemeanour.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

At least ooo didn't miss a point [.], or commit an apostrophic misdemeanour.
                  I see that I got my own punctuation (spacing) wrong though!
                  Now corrected (though I've been quoted: ).

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Indeed!
                    (Did you miss a NOT out, ooo? .... presence NOT needed?)
                    Drat! Well spotted. Another sin of omission to add to the list.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

(Did you miss a NOT out, ooo? [...])
                      I'm wondering: Would "Did you miss out a NOT, ooo?" be an improvement, or does it make no real difference?
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I'm wondering: Would "Did you miss out a NOT, ooo?" be an improvement, or does it make no real difference?
                        Possibly a hangover from not supposedly not ending a sentence with a preposition (and that the expression is 'to miss out = to omit') makes your version sound a little easier on the ear.

But I think I'd prefer 'Did you miss something out?' to 'Did you miss out something?'.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

Possibly a hangover from not supposedly not ending a sentence with a preposition (and that the expression is 'to miss out = to omit') makes your version sound a little easier on the ear.

But I think I'd prefer 'Did you miss something out?' to 'Did you miss out something?'.
                          Also because "something" is a pronoun. No one would say: "You missed out it" or "She missed out me". When the object is a noun some may prefer "He missed out the apostrophe" to "He missed the apostrophe out". Both are acceptable, I'd have thought.

It is probably poor style to split 'miss' from 'out' if the object consists of many words. As in something like: "The programme missed the names of all the members of the orchestra and chorus out". ...Or just use "omit"

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post

Also because "something" is a pronoun. No one would say: "You missed out it" or "She missed out me". When the object is a noun some may prefer "He missed out the apostrophe" to "He missed the apostrophe out". Both are acceptable, I'd have thought.

It is probably poor style to split 'miss' from 'out' if the object consists of many words. As in something like: "The programme missed the names of all the members of the orchestra and chorus out". ...Or just use "omit"

That all makes good sense.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                              • Feb 2024

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post

We were taught (in the late 50s/early 60s) that placing the preposition at the end of a sentence was a crime as heinous as splitting an infinitive! I have a pang of remorse over the latter, not so much the former.

Churchill once gave an example of the clumsiness of 'correctness' with the sentence '.......this is something with which I won't up put'.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post
                                Churchill once gave an example of the clumsiness of 'correctness' with the sentence '.......this is something with which I won't up put'.
                                A learned note from the lexicographer Ben Zimmer on the attribution (or misattribution) to Churchill; and the various forms the quotation took:

Comment

Working...
                                X