X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

... some of the etymology in the following isn't particularly ept, but it's a useful list ( and better surely to be listful rather than listless... )-

Last edited by vinteuil; 23-10-23, 17:03.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
      ... some of the etymology in the following isn't particularly ept...
      Quotation from Time, 1966: "With the exception of one or two semantic twisters, I think it is a first-rate job—definitely ept, ane and ert.​"

Add: inept has an etymological positive - apt - if not a semantic one. Similarly, insipid has a cognate sapid which is an antonym. And cf Homo insipiens as an antonym of homo sapiens. Fenestrate might be useful for the burglar fraternity.
      Last edited by french frank; 23-10-23, 17:24.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Words matter...
        Is this really the best way to describe the problem of dementia in an ageing population?
        would pose ‘enormous threat’ to healthcare systems

It apparently was said by Hilary Evans, chief executive at Alzheimer’s Research UK, who one would have hoped was more careful about her choice of words.

Perhaps it's just me, but calling it a threat rather than a challenge is not only unhelpful but conjures up chilling overtones, especially given the government's approach of ignore them and they'll go away(aka die) to those who are not active contributing members of its (personal) wealth generating aims.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

...especially given the government's approach of ignore them and they'll go away(aka die) to those who are not active contributing members of its (personal) wealth generating aims.

Perhaps that's exactly why she chose the word 'threat'.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
            ...especially given the government's approach of ignore them and they'll go away(aka die) to those who are not active contributing members of its (personal) wealth generating aims.

Perhaps that's exactly why she chose the word 'threat'.
            Sinmples: dementia is a challenge, the government's health policies are a threat.

Comment

• smittims
              • Aug 2022

I've been hearing people say 'you was...' (as in 'I didn't now you was coming') occasionally for the first time since, I think, the 1960s, when it fell out of use after it had been eradicated by state education. Is the revival a lifestyle affectation? This morning I even heard a Radio4 presenter use it in an interview (yes,really!).

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

It is common in some dialects:
                https://wpww.ourdialects.uk/maps/you-was/
                ... which would make it non-standard rather than sub-standard usage. Presumably as with 'they was', 'we was'. Thorough analysis here.

In Devon and elsewhere, usage such as 'when I were young' is heard. Script writers (eg Archers) use it to convey yokel-speak. On the other hand, the subjunctive 'If I were young' is correct.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

... I rather like 'you was... '. Very eighteenth century. And I'm pretty sure Jane Austen uses it

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

... I rather like 'you was... '. Very eighteenth century. And I'm pretty sure Jane Austen uses it.
                    In Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin novels, set in the Napoleonic Wars, the construction 'Was you to...' comes up a lot; less so 'You was...' IIRC.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                      In Devon and elsewhere, usage such as 'when I were young' is heard.
                      No complicated grammar in Somerset: it's I be, You be, He, She or It be; We be, You be, They be. Who said English was difficult?

I noted a young relative with a BA and an MA referring on WhatsApp to 'Her and her workmates are'. As I am only a theoretical pedant, I have to concede that his usage is … correct
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• smittims
                        • Aug 2022

Speaking of the Archers, I heard Jim Lloyd, who is supposed to be a retired Classics professor , say 'It was me who suggested it'.

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

No complicated grammar in Somerset: it's I be, You be, He, She or It be; We be, You be, They be. Who said English was difficult?
                          ... well it was a bit more complicated in Wiltshire - we had those forms, but also : I do be, you do be, he she or it do be, we do be, you do be, they do be

Or was this a Devizes peculiar?

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                            Speaking of the Archers, I heard Jim Lloyd, who is supposed to be a retired Classics professor , say 'It was me who suggested it'.
                            That's now more common than 'It was I who suggested it', albeit considered 'informal'. I would certainly say: It's me; not It's I. I would also write it. In the above example, though, I might prefer to stress the pronoun 'I'. "I sugested it." Or even 'suggested'

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I noted a young relative
                              ... a relative ?! - are you quite sure it wasn't a relation??

Comment

• kernelbogey
                                • Nov 2010

... well it was a bit more complicated in Wiltshire - we had those forms, but also : I do be, you do be, he she or it do be, we do be, you do be, they do be.

Or was this a Devizes peculiar?
                                There's a similar usage in Cornish dialect - a kind of continuous sense - e.g. 'I do catch the bus to go 'ome'.

Comment

Working...
                                X