X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

My favourite letter to The Times (genuine - came from their own anthology) was along the lines of (I paraphrase, of necessity):
    Sir - I have just written you a very long letter on the subject of [xxxxx]. On further reflection, I have torn it up and sent this one instead.
    Your obedient servant etc etc....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

You'd expect the Letters Editor to do a better job, though.
      A review of Winstanley on Milestone Films includes the word "disasterous" - it amazes that organisations of this calibre don't have the necessary computer vetting software to catch common spelling errors such as this, or ring a loud electronic bell until someone is alerted.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

A review of Winstanley on Milestone Films includes the word "disasterous" - it amazes that organisations of this calibre don't have the necessary computer vetting software to catch common spelling errors such as this, or ring a loud electronic bell until someone is alerted.
        Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

The job's primary purpose these days is, I suspect, to ensure no legal fallout, but I don't believe the letter quoted would ever have been subject to the kind of style micro-editing being suggested here.
        I guess all the Letters Editor does is select the letters for publication. Then it's passed on to the features subs desk - subs normally employed for their literacy skills.

​I would have omitted the first "that" and also the later "that have been".
        D'accord. [singed a former subeditor- ]
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• smittims
          • Aug 2022

I've been puzzled by the use of the word 'widely' in the following passage. Is it just me or is there something odd here?

'No pianist has been more widely associated with Beethoven than Alfred Brendel, who first made his reputation by recording the composer's complete piano works.'

Does he mean that if you went round the world and asked people at random 'who's the first pianist you associate with Beethoven?' more people would name Alfred Brendel than anyone else?

I'm not sure he means that; I suspect he'd trying to find a polite way of saying 'Brendel is the no.1 Beethoven pianist', in the same way that educated people used to say 'It will, I think, be generally accepted that...' before making a claim that they are too polite to assert as a fact.

What do you think he really means?

(...by the way, it's a writer whose writings on music I have always found rewarding, i.e. I'm not trying to disparage him .)
          Last edited by smittims; 03-10-23, 07:28.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post

(...by the way, its a writer whose writings on music I have always found rewarding, i.e. I'm not trying to disparage him .)
            it's

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

it's
              he's?

I think 'widely' doesn't imply 'a majority'. Just 'very many people'. Let's face it: for 'most people' the name of Alfred Brendel means nothing at all; Beethoven perhaps would be known by a few more. So already the pool among whom he is 'widely' known is diminished. Is there a better word than 'pool'? I can't think of the mot juste.
              Last edited by french frank; 02-10-23, 15:39.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• smittims
                • Aug 2022

Thanks. Typo duly corrected.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

I've noticed tv chefs using verbs in a particular way, e.g.
                  fry off
                  glaze out
                  reduce down
                  trim off

I'm curious where these come from and what the preposition adds in meaning.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                    fry off
                    glaze out
                    reduce down
                    trim off

Trimming off I would associate with having either my hair or the garden hedge cut. As for the other three terms the first tends either to make me fry off the handle, glaze out, or find myself reduced down to despairing at unnecessary verbiage being used to make more of ordinary everyday actions than they warrant in order to boulster some people's sense of self-importance. Drizzling is another menu term that gets up my nose: sprinkling would "serve" adequately.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Drizzling is another menu term that gets up my nose: sprinkling would "serve" adequately.
                      I associate drizzling with liquids, usually olive oil; and sprinkling maybe powder or ground herbs and spices. So maybe a sprinkling would be more likely to get up your nose?

Comment

• kernelbogey
                        • Nov 2010

fry off
                        glaze out
                        reduce down
                        trim off

Answering my own question I wonder if it's an attempt to convey completion: fry until the food has browned and crisped sufficiently; reduce down until the requisite volume or taste has been achieved; et cetera.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

A Guardian preview of tv includes the phrase 'the PM...trying to salvage his fracked marriage'. Hmm. Seems a new usage - perhaps meant to evoke a less acceptable adjective.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

A Guardian preview of tv includes the phrase 'the PM...trying to salvage his fracked marriage'. Hmm. Seems a new usage - perhaps meant to evoke a less acceptable adjective.
                            Well oil beef..............................!!!

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Possibly(although nothing wrong with fractured surely...), but it does conjure up some rather - erm - unpleasant images given what's involved with fossil fuel fracking.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Possibly(although nothing wrong with fractured surely...), but it does conjure up some rather - erm - unpleasant images given what's involved with fossil fuel fracking.
                                Quite.

Comment

Working...
                                X