X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

Yes, that's worth remembering. I love Sir Thomas Beecham's recordings but I don't think I'd have enjoyed working for him.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Pappano's Greatest Arias
      Really? I wasn't aware that he either composed or sang but perhaps that's just my ignorance.
      Antonio Pappano's personal selection of the greatest opera arias.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        Pappano's Greatest Arias
        Really? I wasn't aware that he either composed or sang but perhaps that's just my ignorance.

He does sing from time to time. He took a bit part in a Royal House Gala performance singing (I think ) one line - the jailer from Andrea Chenier final act. He was on stage conducting as the same time. He has a (very ) light baritone without the volume of a professional singer. However unlike a lot of conductors he can sing in tune.
        One thing he can also do is play the piano very , very well .

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          Pappano's Greatest Arias

Just look at that photo: you can see he's just about to break into E lucevan le stelle.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

If something happened centuries ago, let’s talk about it as if it happened centuries ago – not as if it was going on right now, says Adrian Chiles

I don't usually read Adrian Chiles but there have been some letters following this piece, which regrets the habitual use of the present tense in history programmes (in a fit of rage Beethoven tears the title page out of the score...): I too find this custom irritating and the justifications weasely. One justification, from Professor John O’Regan​, is that this makes sense when it's for voice-over commentary on events 'seen on screen' - by which I assume he means the equally loathsome custom of dressing up actors to look like ninth-century monks (or whatever) to add immediacy. Well they can stop doing that too.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...my-blood-boil-
              I don't usually read Adrian Chiles but there have been some letters following this piece, which regrets the habitual use of the present tense in history programmes (in a fit of rage Beethoven tears the title page out of the score...): I too find this custom irritating and the justifications weasely. One justification, from Professor John O’Regan​, is that this makes sense when it's for voice-over commentary on events 'seen on screen' - by which I assume he means the equally loathsome custom of dressing up actors to look like ninth-century monks (or whatever) to add immediacy. Well they can stop doing that too.
              A version of it used to be used occasionally years ago for describing things like battle scenes, but it would be set up as "Imagine the scene - the rebel forces..." etc etc. possibly with a bit of playacting/special effects/graphics. The drama over, the narration would revert to either historic, or a discussion/evaluation of the event.
              My dislike of the current iteration is not just the contrivance and pseudo-drama, but the false impression it gives of veracity to things which are, or may be, simply conjecture. It's why I don't like the CGI dinosaur "natural history" programmes. There will be those who swallow such things as fact, and I feel that sets a dangerous precedent. I suppose though that in a world that takes the Sun as gospel truth it is inevitable that few see it as problematic.

Comment

• smittims
                • Aug 2022

Our changing English language : this afternoon I saw a notice in a train encouraging me to claim if my train was late : 'Keep a hold of your ticket'. In my day it would have said 'please retain your ticket'. The difference, of course, is that 'retain' is from Latin, whereas 'a hold of' is Anglo-Saxon. Is it dumbing-down or are they catering for a population where fewer people than before were educated in England?

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                  Our changing English language : this afternoon I saw a notice in a train encouraging me to claim if my train was late : 'Keep a hold of your ticket'. In my day it would have said 'please retain your ticket'. The difference, of course, is that 'retain' is from Latin, whereas 'a hold of' is Anglo-Saxon. Is it dumbing-down or are they catering for a population where fewer people than before were educated in England?
                  I've never come across "keep a hold of". Why not just "keep" if "retain" is deemed incomprehensible?
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I've never come across "keep a hold of"....
                    'Samerican.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

'Samerican.
                      I've just checked with the OED. It seems it should properly be written as one word 'ahold' (of), and is an adverb. The usage seems to be informal rather than what one would expect on an official notice. The alternative to using 'retain' would be simply 'keep': Please keep your ticket.

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

I've just checked with the OED. It seems it should properly be written as one word 'ahold' (of), and is an adverb. The usage seems to be informal rather than what one would expect on an official notice. The alternative to using 'retain' would be simply 'keep': Please keep your ticket.
                        The phrase is very much something I associate with my years of parent/young children interaction, but as such it was always verbal. I suspect it wasn't the form my own parents used,(or more accurately my mother, who was a bit of a stickler for correct use of language, since my father, in common with many in those days, wasn't much involved) so may have been something I picked it up from those around me during child-rearing years.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

'Welsh mansion that inspired Wordsworth and Coleridge on the verge of collapse' - Guardian

I knew Coleridge had become an Opium addict, but had always thought Wordsworth was basically ok.

Last edited by kernelbogey; 17-09-23, 01:26.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                            this afternoon I saw a notice in a train encouraging me to claim if my train was late : 'Keep a hold of your ticket'.
                            Was that while yourself was stood?

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

I've just checked with the OED. It seems it should properly be written as one word 'ahold' (of), and is an adverb...
                              That's interesting - thanks ff! I associate it with such conversational contexts as the following fiction:
                              A: I'm just thrilled to have met Mary-Jo - she's a wonderful woman!
                              B: Well, son, you'd better keep ahold of her!

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

That's interesting - thanks ff! I associate it with such conversational contexts as the following fiction:
                                A: I'm just thrilled to have met Mary-Jo - she's a wonderful woman!
                                B: Well, son, you'd better keep ahold of her!
                                Yes, the dictionary left me with the impression that was the kind of context where it would be used, kinda folksy. (Have to repeat here the PAIN it causes to try and look anything up on the new 'reversioned' OED site. First I have to open my stickies and copy my library card number, then back on the site write in the name of my library and paste in the number (formerly I just clicked in the card number field and my browser did the rest, and the number identified the library anyway). Then the content is a complete mess.

Comment

Working...
                                X