X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    ... except when referring to Clapham, maybe.
    I thought it was Cla'm (pron. Clarm) now

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Worrying news for Downing Street - there may be scientists in London, according to a Guardian headline today.
      New Covid variant causing concern among scientists detected in London

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        Worrying news for Downing Street - there may be scientists in London, according to a Guardian headline today.
        New Covid variant causing concern among scientists detected in London

'Ah! meglio ancora!'
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

More confusion to relish (qv a previous post- wish there were numbers...)
          "Viewers were captured by Benny's story..."
          "Captivated" would be over-egging in my view, but "captured" was an unfortunate choice given the story was about a stolen dog.

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Unlucky York: I hope that all other passengers are unaffected!

Bank holiday train strike to cause disruption for York passengers

(York Press headline)

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              Unlucky York: I hope that all other passengers are unaffected!

Bank holiday train strike to cause disruption for York passengers

(York Press headline)
              What in newspaper terms is referred to as the "angle". A bit like "Fog in Channel - Continent Cut Off", except that I understand it was used ironically: ChatGPT says it was indeed a real headline in The Times on October 11, 1922 criticising British isolationism. I (fearfully) wonder ...
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Maclintick
                • Jan 2012

Depressing to hear BBC News parroting Piers Morgan’s malapropistic description of the late Mohamed Al Fayed as a “tour de force” — “force of nature” would make sense 🙈

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Maclintick View Post
                  Depressing to hear BBC News parroting Piers Morgan’s malapropistic description of the late Mohamed Al Fayed as a “tour de force” — “force of nature” would make sense 🙈
                  No, you can't refer to a person as a 'tour de force', which refers to an action. As applied to a person, I've never fully understood what a 'force of nature' means.

Comment

• Maclintick
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post

No, you can't refer to a person as a 'tour de force', which refers to an action. As applied to a person, I've never fully understood what a 'force of nature' means.
                    As applied to a person, I've always understood it in this sense -- "a person with a strong character and extraordinary energy who influences others".

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

As applied to a person, I've always understood it in this sense -- "a person with a strong character and extraordinary energy who influences others".
                      That would do. There must be a fair few people about whom that applies: I thought it meant something even more extraordinary than that. But I was probably wrong

Comment

• smittims
                        • Aug 2022

Yes, 'tour de force' in this context is surely a malapropism.

The fashion for describing people admiringly as 'a force of nature' probably originated with someone who, so their praiser implied, would not be deterred by human discouragement or disparagement. It then became the 'in' compliment to show that the speaker is up with the latest 'blue-sky solutions'.

Comment

• Padraig
                          • Feb 2013

On first reading this I was in agreement with the point being made. Now, having read the discussion that followed I'm glad I was not so eager to have a say. Still, in spite of f f''s reservation, I think that if you consider 'force of nature' as just a metaphor for a person of extraordinary energy I can stick with my original opinion.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                            Still, in spite of f f''s reservation, I think that if you consider 'force of nature' as just a metaphor for a person of extraordinary energy I can stick with my original opinion.
                            I did add: "I was probably wrong"! Omit the 'probably, then ... Maclintick seems to be right in adding that it implies a strong character as well as energy - and to a point where this can be for better or worse. Not necessarily a compliment, although that seems to be commonly implied. A force of nature (metaphor) may be capable of a tour de force (but so might I).

Comment

• Sir Velo
                              • Oct 2012

Long since given up on the BBC website, App or news which has seen a monumental decline in standards since the millenium. It's obsessed with trivia and overrun with client journalism.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                                Yes, 'tour de force' in this context is surely a malapropism.

The fashion for describing people admiringly as 'a force of nature' probably originated with someone who, so their praiser implied, would not be deterred by human discouragement or disparagement. It then became the 'in' compliment to show that the speaker is up with the latest 'blue-sky solutions'.
                                "Force of nature" isn't always an unqualified compliment when applied to someone; one can admire the energy that gets things done but it can be mighty uncomfortable to live or work with such people and lead to casualties, just as the weather version does.

Comment

Working...
                                X