• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post

It might be because this usage is a case of someone realising that "Me and my wife went to the pub last night" is wrong and that "my wife and I" is not only grammatically correct but also sounds more educated. This person then over-corrects in assuming that "my wife and I" is always correct (even when it is the direct object or comes after a preposition).
    I'm sure that's the origin, especially when one can give an understandable explanation for the "correct form" (i.e. you don't say 'Me went to the pub' so you don't say 'Me and my wife/My wife and me went to the pub' *(though in Rishi Sunak's case - for 'twas he (reportedly) - you probably don't say either very often).
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• smittims
      • Aug 2022

I put it down to simple ignorance.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by smittims View Post
        I put it down to simple ignorance.
        It's an interesting question, i'faith: at what point, think ye, does "correct" English become "archaic" English?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• smittims
          • Aug 2022

Well, it's not so much a point as a subjective grey area. I used to teach a writing course whose supplied material contained the phrase 'they were put off by his being unhelpful'. One lady said to me 'that's bad grammar'. I said, 'well, I know today many people would think it archaic , where they might say "him being helpful" but strictly speaking it is more correct'.

She just reiterated 'that's bad grammar. I know. My father was a classicist, and that's bad grammar'. I asked her to show just how it was bad grammar, but she declined.

Vaughan Williams always said 'pianoforte' not 'piano'. I never met anyone who said 'omnibus' instead of 'Bus', 'submarine boat' (on the basis that 'submarine' is an adjective) or 'Kinema'. But I'm sure they died hard.

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

I never met anyone who said 'omnibus' instead of 'Bus',
            ... except when referring to Clapham, maybe.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              ... except when referring to Clapham, maybe.
              Or even Clap'm.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Not wishing in any way to make light of the poor chap's demise, but is this really the way that it deserved to get reported (York Press)?

Man dies in North Yorkshire after taking two bottles of wine to bed

Comment

• smittims
                  • Aug 2022

Yes, that is rather insensitively, and unhelpfully worded, for a headline. Headlines should ideally be unambiguous. Two of my favourites are 'Russian Generals fly back to Front', and 'Giant waves down tunnel'.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Yes, that is rather insensitively, and unhelpfully worded, for a headline. Headlines should ideally be unambiguous. Two of my favourites are 'Russian Generals fly back to Front', and 'Giant waves down tunnel'.
                    Early 60s sign by the A12 - 'NEW LAID EGGS DRIVE UP HERE'

Comment

• edashtav
                      • Jul 2012

Returning to the death of the term ‘omnibus’, 100 years ago omnibus ruled all. I rather liked this headline clipped from the S. Gloucestershire Gazette:

MANAGER TAKES THE WHEEL
                      Omnibus in Crash at Trowbridge.
                      Alfred Henry Bailey, Trowbridge manager of the Western National Omnibus Company, was fined £3, and ordered to pay 17s. 6d. costs at Trowbridge police court for driving a motor-omnibus without due care.

note: the prefix ‘motor’ which was ‘shafting’ horse and obviating drawn.

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Continuing the headline theme. From the Guardian today:
                        Stones made for Victorian project to help Irish workers given listed status
                        I wasn't aware that people could be given listed status... Or that it might be a requirement for receiving assistance.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          Continuing the headline theme. From the Guardian today:
                          Stones made for Victorian project to help Irish workers given listed status
                          I wasn't aware that people could be given listed status... Or that it might be a requirement for receiving assistance.

And why not just "Listed status given to stones ..." ? (I can't talk having once been responsible for "Pub rents rocket" )
                          Last edited by french frank; 18-08-23, 09:51. Reason: emoji code corrected :smiley:

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

And why not just "Listed status given to stones ..." ? (I can't talk having once been responsible for "Pub rents rocket" )
                            No capital S for the stones.

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

"...many relished in the crowds of misty blue..."
                              This is from an article about the Bluebell Line, but the use of "relished in", where I would have thought "revelled in" or just "enjoyed" was what was needed, I have now seen 3 times in a few days. Ah well, I suspect it's another of those confusions that will just become accepted usage...
                              This rather sums it up for me
                              Hi Friends!  I’m going to take a minute to talk about the difference between “reveling” and “relishing” because if I read another book that says “relishing in” (which I absolutely will, probab…

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                                "...many relished in the crowds of misty blue..."
                                This is from an article about the Bluebell Line, but the use of "relished in", where I would have thought "revelled in" or just "enjoyed" was what was needed, I have now seen 3 times in a few days. Ah well, I suspect it's another of those confusions that will just become accepted usage...
                                Yes, in theory, though I don't recall ever having seen either used for the other. Indeed the writer is correct that to relish is transitive, to revel intransitive. But when that last sentence is completely incomprehensible to the point of meaninglessness, confusion will inevitably reign. Or rain.

Comment

Working...
                                X