• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by smittims View Post
    I didn't know that, Bryn! But, as a tribute to your perspicacity, I've corrected my typo!
    (No you haven't - yet - oh, yes you have!)
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      (No you haven't - yet - oh, yes you have!)
      Along with the huge range of opinions on this forum, we have many typos.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by smittims View Post
        I didn't know that, Bryn! But, as a tribute to your perspicacity, I've corrected my typo!
        Ah, now that clarifies, for me, what you were getting at.

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Ah, now that clarifies, for me, what you were getting at.
          Whereas your post at first confused me, as, with the quote being all italic, the subtleties of different syllabic stresses (rather than spelling) had got lost!

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Confusion? As far as the latest twist in the Johnson saga is concerned, I'm pondering:

'No 10 said neither ministers nor the PM were not involved in the decision.' So what is No 10 saying, or not saying? Or what is the BBC not saying No 10 is not saying or saying?
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Confusion? As far as the latest twist in the Johnson saga is concerned, I'm pondering:

'No 10 said neither ministers nor the PM were not involved in the decision.' So what is No 10 saying, or not saying? Or what is the BBC not saying No 10 is not saying or saying?
              Evidently I'm not the only one who gets tied up in knots over double negatives!

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

To me that reads as both the PM and ministers were involved - however I haven't read any more than the quote here to determine the likely level of obfuscation and deflection.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Evidently I'm not the only one who gets tied up in knots over double negatives!
                  In this neck of the woods double negatives are normal - it's when you get to the triples that things can get a bit knotty on occasion.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                    In this neck of the woods double negatives are normal - it's when you get to the triples that things can get a bit knotty on occasion.
                    Well, we wouldn't want you to think that there's nothing that couldn't be done to not have such a knotty problem occurring in future.

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                      Well, we wouldn't want you to think that there's nothing that couldn't be done to not have such a knotty problem occurring in future.
                      Even if it involved splitting an infinitive?...

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Anyway, an update now reads:

'Downing Street rejected suggestions Mr Johnson was the victim of a stitch up, stressing that neither ministers nor the PM were involved in the process'

Even in this form, I would say 'neither ministers ... nor the PM was involved', but that's just what sounds right to me and what I think I would say (not absolutely sure about what I would say). OTOH, if 'ministers' is taken as a plural, rather than a singular [number non-specific] group, I see a 'rule' which says the plural term should come second, with a plural verb. 'Neither the PM nor ministers were involved.' Discuss.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                          Even if it involved splitting an infinitive?...
                          Most definitely.
                          A stupid 'rule' driven by the fact that the Latin infinitive never gets split!

Anyway, an update now reads:

'Downing Street rejected suggestions Mr Johnson was the victim of a stitch up, stressing that neither ministers nor the PM were involved in the process'

Even in this form, I would say 'neither ministers ... nor the PM was involved', but that's just what sounds right to me and what I think I would say (not absolutely sure about what I would say). OTOH, if 'ministers' is taken as a plural, rather than a singular [number non-specific] group, I see a 'rule' which says the plural term should come second, with a plural verb. 'Neither the PM nor ministers were involved.' Discuss.
                          Verb number usually chosen to agree with closest subject; I agree that 'neither the PM nor any ministers were' then sounds better than 'neither ministers nor the PM was', so I'd write the sentence that way round.
                          End of discussion.

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                            Verb number usually chosen to agree with closest subject; I agree that 'neither the PM nor any ministers were' then sounds better than 'neither ministers nor the PM was', so I'd write the sentence that way round.
                            End of discussion.
                            ... I agree with Fr: Fr: and Pulcinella that - in terms of syntax - 'neither the PM nor any ministers were' may be preferable. However there is a semantic argument that here you shd start with what is in this case, in political and news-worthy terms, the less significant - 'not the ministers' - and build up to the greater - 'not even the Prime Minister' (or 'and specifically not the Prime Minister'). I feel there is some strength in that argument.

Last edited by vinteuil; 24-05-23, 17:36.

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

BBC news website : "Man found guilty of unsolved 1991 murder"

ermmm???

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                                That's cool, I got time on me 'ands - ain't not going nowhere tonight!

Comment

Working...
                                X