• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    I don't understand your point, though.
    Maybe I should apply to be a Guardian sub.
    Not sure whether the sub was one of us late risers! Or we late risers.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Not sure whether the sub was one of us late risers! Or we late risers.
      Ah!
      I'd looked only at the bold line, thinking the complaint was about introducing Bear Grylls somehow.
      And since that sentence uses is we don't have subject and object do we?

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

I thought of adding, but didn't, that constructions such as 'Us late risers get...' is now common parlance (which I suppose means 'parlance of the vulgar'; anyway, street language) - but I think an erstwhile broadsheet newspaper - founded by C P Scott - should be aiming higher.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
          I thought of adding, but didn't, that constructions such as 'Us late risers get...' is now common parlance (which I suppose means 'parlance of the vulgar'; anyway, street language) - but I think an erstwhile broadsheet newspaper - founded by C P Scott - should be aiming higher.
          (But I did add - aiming below the belt - that surely Grylls's would be House Style at the Graun.)

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

(But I did add - aiming below the belt - that surely Grylls's would be House Style at the Graun.)
            They use too much energy to be acceptable these days...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              Apart from anything else, I thought there were people living in what is now the UK before the very existence of Christianity.
              Ah, but the past is a different country - they did things differently then.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

I was trying to remember whether he was Bear Grylls, or Bear Gryll - in which case Bear Gryll's opportunity clock.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

I was trying to remember whether he was Bear Grylls, or Bear Gryll - in which case Bear Gryll's opportunity clock.
                  Being tin he Graun, it might then come out as
                  BEAR GRILLS OPPORTUNITY CLOCK

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Animal rights group Peta has asked a town in Connecticut to rename its oddly monikered Roast Meat Hill Road to Roast Vegan Hill Road.
                    Not sure they thought that one through - although their suggested wording will unfortunately find favour with some folk...

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Do you think the word they wanted was "disbursed"?
                      The first £200m was not dispersed until 9 December...
                      (from a Guardian report about misleading NHS funding claims)

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        Do you think the word they wanted was "disbursed"?
                        Yes

But my tiny thought: I've just had an email from Mr Rusbridger asking me to complete a survey which "will take fewer than 10 minutes".

Now, I do know the rule, but it did strike me that 'less than 10 minutes' would have been more, erm, idiomatic, a block of 10 minutes thought of as an entity rather than exactly 10 individual minutes. Or is it just that I'm now inured to the 'Less than 6 items' in the supermarket?

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Yes

But my tiny thought: I've just had an email from Mr Rusbridger asking me to complete a survey which "will take fewer than 10 minutes".

Now, I do know the rule, but it did strike me that 'less than 10 minutes' would have been more, erm, idiomatic, a block of 10 minutes thought of as an entity rather than exactly 10 individual minutes. Or is it just that I'm now inured to the 'Less than 6 items' in the supermarket?
                          The surveys I've encountered in recent years have used the "less than" version or, increasingly - "shouldn't take more than..." In that context the "less than" doesn't grate on me as much as the supermarket usage for some reason, but thinking about it I would say "I'll be less than 5 minutes" for instance so perhaps that's why.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                            The surveys I've encountered in recent years have used the "less than" version or, increasingly - "shouldn't take more than..." In that context the "less than" doesn't grate on me as much as the supermarket usage for some reason, but thinking about it I would say "I'll be less than 5 minutes" for instance so perhaps that's why.
                            Possibly that's because minutes aren't something one can have fewer of, since they're not objects, but a continuum?

Comment

• kernelbogey
                              • Nov 2010

On BBC World Service I heard a presenter refer to a 'glossy video'.

Some of the online dictionaries offer 'slick' as one of its meanings.

I just find that an interesting usage.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

On BBC World Service I heard a presenter refer to a 'glossy video'.

Some of the online dictionaries offer 'slick' as one of its meanings.

I just find that an interesting usage.
                                Along the lines of glossy magazines I assume - all image and no substance?

Comment

Working...
                                X